Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
John D. Unangst

1. Could be great, if but for a few things...

I worked at Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Has a nice incentive policy. Payouts could be a bit better, but nothing to sneeze at. Generous PTO policy, even for new employees. Some executives and back office team members genuinely care about the front line.

Cons

Company went from being stagnant with updating technology, policies/procedures, branches, etc., to trying to do everything at once. The result is a veritable cluster of miscommunication, frustration, setbacks, and relative ignorance of existing branches badly in need of updates while putting all the focus on new branches. Issues with IT are almost always the primary complaint in company reviews. IT infrastructure needs major updating...$150K apparently budgeted for that in the coming year, but they spent more on a cafeteria at the main office that benefits only those in the back office. Company needs to focus on one thing at a time, first by fixing the problems being experienced by the existing locations instead of worrying about renaming everyone's job title... Company frequently relies on hiring outside employees instead of promoting and advancing employees from within...seems like a waste of resources having to constantly train new employees instead of using the talent already available.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to flip the entire company from top to bottom. It's turning into chaos. Look at how many employees are leaving since the beginning of the year.

2. MSR

I have been working at Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union

Pros

FMFCU is a great place to develop professionally and learn how to deal with complex issues. The work/life balance is excellent, and there is relatively little pressure to sell.

Cons

Employees are paid relatively little.

Advice to Management

Increase salary to compete with bigger financial institutions, and don't make employees jump through unnecessary hoops to earn a promotion.

3. It's not what you know - it's who you know

Former Employee - Operations in Broomall, PA
    Former Employee - Operations in Broomall, PA

I worked at Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is small enough that the company's president or CEO might come and sit with you at lunch.

Cons

Like my title says - it's not what you know - it's who you know. If the first line managers don't like you for some reason they will bad mouth you and do whatever they can to get you out of there.

Advice to Management

Value your experienced people regardless of whether they are male or female. Personal bias should not be a part of your hiring/firing practices

5. Good company overall, currently struggling to execute its core values

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Broomall, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Broomall, PA

I have been working at Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong emphasis on strengthening customer/member relations and community involvement. Company takes a lot of pride in its involvement in educating our youth in the area of Financial Literacy. Preaches the "Fish" philosophy for employees and a "Welcome Home" environment for the members. Paid time off is policy is fantastic. Branch staff are very reasonably coached to sell based on member needs.

Cons

In recent years there has been more turnover, leadership is weakening, and there is an all-around obvious sense of frustration surrounding the lack of continuity with regards to branch staff. Difficult to create a strong team atmosphere and a sense of ownership among staff when they see the constant movement of personnel around them.

Advice to Management

It starts with getting the right people in positions of leadership. "The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there."

6. Vast differences between districts.

I worked at Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union

Pros

Really great place to keep your money, I never felt like a fraud when I was explaining a product to members. Liked the small company feel and knowing everyone's name. Great hours and flexible schedule. Credit was given where it was due (from upper management). Great atmosphere to work in at Broomall office, everyone was friendly.

Cons

Pushed into sales that people didn't need. Branch mangers were glorified member service reps and relied on their staff to do everything and then took the credit (or did the opposite when things were negative). Branch mangers out of the branch at "business events" but no new membership was drawn from it. Seemed like a waste of time.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to staff at branches and those running branches closer.

7. Professional atmosphere with a twist

Current Employee - Teller I in Holmes, PA
    Current Employee - Teller I in Holmes, PA

I have been working at Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union part-time (More than a year)

Pros

able to anjoy your job (having fun is encouraged) decent pay work with availability well

Cons

sometimes employ those that shouldn't still be employed

8. Poor Management, HR nightmare

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Broomall, PA
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Broomall, PA

I worked at Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good rapport with community - On-site training - Many locations

Cons

-Low Pay - sent me at earning statement and I was making less than the minimum in my job grade. Offered me no raise or explanation - Do not promote within - HR department is corrupt - Growing to quickly to afford

Advice to Management

- Need new leadership - Take advice from employees

9. Incompetence, egotism, and micromanagement

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say

I have been working at Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Most tellers and member service representatives are hard-working and friendly people who will bend over backwards to make the members happy.

Cons

-Branch staff are micromanaged to a ridiculous degree. -Individual initiative and judgment are discouraged. -Policies are complex and convoluted; systems and IT are horrible. -Trying to grow more quickly than it can afford. -Greedy.

Advice to Management

Trust and respect your people.

10. Great place to work.

Current Employee - Teller
    Current Employee - Teller

I have been working at Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union

Pros

Great co-workers, friendly management, small community feel for a banking environment.

Cons

May have to float between branches and some were far for me. But they're pretty flexible about that.

11. Stifling

Current Employee - Head Teller
    Current Employee - Head Teller

I have been working at Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union

Pros

Depending on which district you are in the opportunities are endless.

Cons

Even though the organization says that they hire from within, there are rarely promotions from within. Also, they say that they value education but do not utlitize what those with advanced degrees do offer. In fact, it seems as if having an advanced degree is frowned upon, as most of Upper Management do not have college degrees.

RSS Feed </> Embed