Franklin Olin College of Engineering

flexibility at your fingertips

Former Employee - Student Worker  in  Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Student Worker in Needham, MA

I worked at Franklin Olin College of Engineering part-time for more than a year

Pros

As a student worker, your hours are flexible and all the supervisors are very understanding of the crazy work schedule Olin students have. Lots of opportunities to meet people who run the organization.

Cons

Limited number of on-campus positions. Work-life balance can be difficult so pick and choose!

Great way to earn money while studying.

Current Employee - Course Assistant  in  Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Course Assistant in Needham, MA

I have been working at Franklin Olin College of Engineering part-time for more than a year

Pros

Really great for working during the semester, you can work as a course assistant for a class, or for admissions or other offices as well. Mostly flexible hours.

Cons

Doesn't pay super well. It can be hard to get a job as a course assistant unless you know a professor pretty well.

great place to be

Current Employee - Student Worker
    Current Employee - Student Worker

I have been working at Franklin Olin College of Engineering part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

a great place for engineering education. half tuition scholarship for everyone.

Cons

tuition goes up every year. student wages start pretty low 8/freshman and goes up at 50 cent increments per year.

students want to know where our money's going. there's no transparency.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I LOVE THIS PLACE

Pros

Good employee-management relations, a lot of camaraderie and inter-department friendships. The students here are also fantastic, and are often a pleasure to work with.

Cons

It's such a small school that there is a lot of accountability, and it could be hard for you to slip through the cracks, if that's what you're looking for. Even though it's very small though, there can be a lot of bureaucracy and work politics, at least as much at at larger workplaces.

Remove some of the middle management, where it exists. Like our students, just have us work together to solve problems! Let there be a horizontal orientation of the workplace structure instead of the vertical one that exists now.

A proud place of innovation that takes care of its own.

I have been working at Franklin Olin College of Engineering

Pros

innovative, re-defining engineering curriculum for the United States of America and beyond

Cons

work permeates most aspects of life, and days of the week

Decent place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I have been working at Franklin Olin College of Engineering full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Many of the staff and faculty have been working since the school opened, which shows the dedication to the College. The buildings/work environment is top notch especially for a New England higher ed atmosphere. The benefits are great.

Cons

Very Small, and therefore not a lot of room for advancement.Olin is operating with close to no income and relying heavily on funding based on the endowment therefore the salary ranges tend to be lower than other area institutions.

Best college on the planet

I worked at Franklin Olin College of Engineering

Pros

Awesome students, world class faculty

Cons

Small school, not everybody has heard of it

A good place to learn, great career opportunities, but no work life balance.

Former Employee - Student  in  Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Student in Needham, MA

I worked at Franklin Olin College of Engineering full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very involved professors, interesting coursework, easy to get help when needed. Additionally you learn how to actually get things done from the courses, as opposed to knowing theory but not how to apply anything.

Cons

NO work life balance. You will work all the time or others will make sure you know that your work is mediocre. Additionally the CS program is very weak, too weak to pass interviews from the courses at Olin alone.

Working at Olin was a pleasure.

Former Employee - Research Assistant  in  Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Needham, MA

I worked at Franklin Olin College of Engineering as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Depending on your function, you have a great deal of flexibility in hours and environment. Additionally, the supervisors are generally excellent people and you are almost sure to enjoy working with your coworkers.

Cons

It's difficult to say what downsides there are to working at Olin College; the primary one that I can think of is that summer positions seem to be almost uniformly held by students of the school, so it is probably difficult to get a position there if you are not one.

Careful

I have been working at Franklin Olin College of Engineering

Pros

Small community. Flexibility. Decent pay.

Cons

Poor management from the top down. Resource issues. Very politicized.

Top-level Management needs to be more involved and hands-on. Administrative offices need more financial resources and policies and procedures need to be determined and documented.

Worked for Franklin Olin College of Engineering? Contribute to the Community!