Franklin Olin College of Engineering

Updated Apr 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Richard Miller

Great way to earn money while studying.

Course Assistant (Current Employee) Needham, MA

ProsReally great for working during the semester, you can work as a course assistant for a class, or for admissions or other offices as well. Mostly flexible hours.

ConsDoesn't pay super well. It can be hard to get a job as a course assistant unless you know a professor pretty well.

great place to be

Student Worker (Current Employee)

Prosa great place for engineering education. half tuition scholarship for everyone.

Constuition goes up every year. student wages start pretty low 8/freshman and goes up at 50 cent increments per year.

Advice to Senior Managementstudents want to know where our money's going. there's no transparency.

I LOVE THIS PLACE

ProsGood employee-management relations, a lot of camaraderie and inter-department friendships. The students here are also fantastic, and are often a pleasure to work with.

ConsIt's such a small school that there is a lot of accountability, and it could be hard for you to slip through the cracks, if that's what you're looking for. Even though it's very small though, there can be a lot of bureaucracy and work politics, at least as much at at larger workplaces.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove some of the middle management, where it exists. Like our students, just have us work together to solve problems! Let there be a horizontal orientation of the workplace structure instead of the vertical one that exists now.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A proud place of innovation that takes care of its own.

Prosinnovative, re-defining engineering curriculum for the United States of America and beyond

Conswork permeates most aspects of life, and days of the week

Decent place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Needham, MA

ProsMany of the staff and faculty have been working since the school opened, which shows the dedication to the College. The buildings/work environment is top notch especially for a New England higher ed atmosphere. The benefits are great.

ConsVery Small, and therefore not a lot of room for advancement.Olin is operating with close to no income and relying heavily on funding based on the endowment therefore the salary ranges tend to be lower than other area institutions.

Best college on the planet

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAwesome students, world class faculty

ConsSmall school, not everybody has heard of it

A good place to learn, great career opportunities, but no work life balance.

Student (Former Employee) Needham, MA

ProsVery involved professors, interesting coursework, easy to get help when needed. Additionally you learn how to actually get things done from the courses, as opposed to knowing theory but not how to apply anything.

ConsNO work life balance. You will work all the time or others will make sure you know that your work is mediocre. Additionally the CS program is very weak, too weak to pass interviews from the courses at Olin alone.

Working at Olin was a pleasure.

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Needham, MA

ProsDepending on your function, you have a great deal of flexibility in hours and environment. Additionally, the supervisors are generally excellent people and you are almost sure to enjoy working with your coworkers.

ConsIt's difficult to say what downsides there are to working at Olin College; the primary one that I can think of is that summer positions seem to be almost uniformly held by students of the school, so it is probably difficult to get a position there if you are not one.

Careful

ProsSmall community. Flexibility. Decent pay.

ConsPoor management from the top down. Resource issues. Very politicized.

Advice to Senior ManagementTop-level Management needs to be more involved and hands-on. Administrative offices need more financial resources and policies and procedures need to be determined and documented.

Worked for Franklin Olin College of Engineering? Contribute to the Community!