Franklin Templeton Investments

Updated December 17, 2014
3.6

Franklin Templeton Investments President & CEO Gregory E. Johnson
Gregory E. Johnson

Pros
  • follows some of the better practices in the industry and will give you good work-life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Franklin Templeton offers good benefits and competitive pay (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Many layers of middle management that only cares about covering their behind (in 12 reviews)

• Some Senior management have the good ol boy mentality (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work/life balance and corporate culture

I have been working at Franklin Templeton Investments

Pros

Corporate culture is superb, really good people all around which leads to a lot of long-tenured employees. Work/life balance is probably one of the best I've seen as well. Company also encourages inter-department movement so it is fairly seamless to look internally for jobs.

Cons

Compensation is considered more on the conservative end and career growth options could be limited.

It was awesome!

Current Employee - Global- PMO in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Global- PMO in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Franklin Templeton Investments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing people to work with; really felt like I was in a family.

Cons

The whole cube-life sucked, I kept walking around the office.

Rotate!

Excellent first-time experience in a corporate setting!

Former Employee - Intern Analyst
    Former Employee - Intern Analyst

I worked at Franklin Templeton Investments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As an intern, I was able to work on projects in a multitude of areas, thus gaining a plethora of new skills and experiences. Pay was fair at $13 an hour and work hours were flexible. Timelines for project completion were tight, but not overly demanding. Would definitely recommend this internship to future finance/economics majors.

Cons

Management is quite conservative and difficult to advance due to job longevity of current employees.

Risk Averse and traditional

I worked at Franklin Templeton Investments full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice campus and polite people

Cons

Every one is so risk averse, particularly in the IT area, where I worked. People are just afraid to make decisions and are slaves to tedious processes which are so 'last century' compared to progressive IT companies. People just get comfortable and dont want to move. It feels like a retired life with little challenge and growth.
    year to year your resume does not change a whole lot in terms of new skills learnt.

Give opportunities to good people that will give them a reason to stay . Introduce new technologies and keep up with the times.

Room for improvement

Former Employee - Proposal Specialist in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Proposal Specialist in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Franklin Templeton Investments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice 401k match. 3 week vacation time with 3 floating days. Morale is pretty good and everyone is very nice and friendly. The benefits are pretty good overall, and there is a gym on-site.

Cons

Lack of room for growth and movement. Most movements were very lateral. Depends on the role and the department, the work environment can vary from one spectrum to another. Unfortunately my team was one with very long hours and way below industry pay. There is no work-life balance. Although education assistance is provided to advance your career, without the time to study it doesn't do any good. With the size of the company the impact of one person feels very small.

More resources should be given to teams that are under-staffed.

Good Experience working here

Current Employee - Senior Informatica Developer in Dublin, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Informatica Developer in Dublin, CA

I have been working at Franklin Templeton Investments as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

work environment, hierarchy, learning, prmos

Cons

less duration of the project

"THE Best Company Ever". Missing that environment...

Former Employee - Senior Financial Systems Analyst in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Systems Analyst in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Franklin Templeton Investments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Chilled environment. Good work - life balance. Leadership was great while I was there. Learnt and grew a lot under their flagship. For me401k benefits were very good. Same goes for stock - options, time-off and on-site facilities (GYM, Cafeteria, Parking). The best team I ever worked for. Derived positive inspiration & influence from my leads. I can rank my team, as high on creativity and organizational skills.

Cons

Few knuckle heads in certain departments. But are tolerable, as those kind of LCD (Lowest Common Denominator) are everywhere. Promotions are tricky.

Please connect to right talent in the team and consider them as valuable asset. Everyone wants to do good job and receive recognition for it. Don't waste their enthusiasm and productive age

Strong Core Values

Current Employee - Legal Specialist in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Legal Specialist in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Franklin Templeton Investments full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Franklin Templeton is a strong business, built on strong core values. I believe the management does an excellent job expressing this on to their employees. There are a lot of friendly people throughout the organization, and it really helps to build important peer connections.

Cons

There is a hard standard to be promoted, so don't expect to get promoted after a year (even two). Definitely some office politics, but what corporate job doesn't?

Great Company

I have been working at Franklin Templeton Investments full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Pay and Great Benefits- All leaders are great to work with and all have an open door policy. They are eager to help you grow.

Cons

People come and go... Sometimes its hard to move up, depending on the department. There is no knowledge of other departments and/or positions. They should come up with a internal workshop of different positions available so that employees have a goal to a certain position. But still a great company.

Great company with excellent benefits and company culture.

Current Employee - Wholesaler in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Wholesaler in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Franklin Templeton Investments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- pure asset manager
    - global presence and opportunity to interact with colleagues from other parts of the world
    - competitive investment products
    - access to senior leaders/portfolio managers that welcome opinions/feedback from employees
    - great family benefits- health package and dental are top
    - generous retirement matching for employees
    - well run company with strong balance sheet
    - company investments in technology
    -low turnover

Cons

- perhaps not the highest paid but the pros can offset this.
    - should try to hire more senior and experienced staff from the outside for fresh perspective on tasks and industry.
    - sometimes low turnover can also lead to complacency and employees may not be as motivated to think outside the box

- hiring from the outside is not a bad thing to gain new perspectives on challenges and opportunities.

Franklin Templeton Investments Photos