Franklin Templeton Investments

Updated January 18, 2015
3.6

Franklin Templeton Investments President & CEO Gregory E. Johnson
Gregory E. Johnson

Pros
  • follows some of the better practices in the industry and will give you good work-life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Franklin Templeton offers good benefits and competitive pay (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Many layers of middle management that only cares about covering their behind (in 12 reviews)

• Some Senior management have the good ol boy mentality (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Overview

I have been working at Franklin Templeton Investments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Global Reach and Distribution. Jobs span the spectrum of what is out there from the most basic to very engaging and technical endeavors. Workers are often able to work across regions teaming up with individuals in other countries to deliver a final product. On the other hand, many departments foster a very family-oriented atmosphere which provides a nice counterpoint to our global engagements.

Cons

FT is a BIG company whose fortunes are subject to market trends. Take that for whatever it's worth. For some it offers solace but for others it can be daunting and may provide for a less defined career path.

Overall we are up to date on many fronts. What may anecdotally seem lacking in one office is offset by abundance in another. Family aspect is valued and appreciated.

My own experience

I worked at Franklin Templeton Investments

Pros

Work conditions and tools are top of the line. Room to grow and benefits are top notch.

Cons

As in every job, people are not always what they seem to be.

Overall a decent place to work.

Former Employee - Product Specialist in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Product Specialist in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Franklin Templeton Investments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great, full benefits! Mostly good people to work with. Many of the jobs allow you to leave your work at the office and not take the headaches home. You get to keep NAV privileges, even after leaving the company! At least that was the case, not sure if it still is.

Cons

Difficult to move up due to a lot of competition and sometimes office politics. They quit the former practice of preparing employees for Series 6 and licensing them, a potentially valuable asset for employees to take with them. Pay can be affected when there's long periods of down markets.

Listen to the employees more. Don't spend a fortune hiring outside consulting firms to tell the company to go back to doing things the old way, fixing what the most recent expensive consulting firm suggested.

Great work/life balance and corporate culture

I have been working at Franklin Templeton Investments

Pros

Corporate culture is superb, really good people all around which leads to a lot of long-tenured employees. Work/life balance is probably one of the best I've seen as well. Company also encourages inter-department movement so it is fairly seamless to look internally for jobs.

Cons

Compensation is considered more on the conservative end and career growth options could be limited.

It was awesome!

Current Employee - Global- PMO in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Global- PMO in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Franklin Templeton Investments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing people to work with; really felt like I was in a family.

Cons

The whole cube-life sucked, I kept walking around the office.

Rotate!

Risk Averse and traditional

I worked at Franklin Templeton Investments full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice campus and polite people

Cons

Every one is so risk averse, particularly in the IT area, where I worked. People are just afraid to make decisions and are slaves to tedious processes which are so 'last century' compared to progressive IT companies. People just get comfortable and dont want to move. It feels like a retired life with little challenge and growth.
    year to year your resume does not change a whole lot in terms of new skills learnt.

Give opportunities to good people that will give them a reason to stay . Introduce new technologies and keep up with the times.

Room for improvement

Former Employee - Proposal Specialist in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Proposal Specialist in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Franklin Templeton Investments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice 401k match. 3 week vacation time with 3 floating days. Morale is pretty good and everyone is very nice and friendly. The benefits are pretty good overall, and there is a gym on-site.

Cons

Lack of room for growth and movement. Most movements were very lateral. Depends on the role and the department, the work environment can vary from one spectrum to another. Unfortunately my team was one with very long hours and way below industry pay. There is no work-life balance. Although education assistance is provided to advance your career, without the time to study it doesn't do any good. With the size of the company the impact of one person feels very small.

More resources should be given to teams that are under-staffed.

Excellent first-time experience in a corporate setting!

Former Employee - Intern Analyst
    Former Employee - Intern Analyst

I worked at Franklin Templeton Investments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As an intern, I was able to work on projects in a multitude of areas, thus gaining a plethora of new skills and experiences. Pay was fair at $13 an hour and work hours were flexible. Timelines for project completion were tight, but not overly demanding. Would definitely recommend this internship to future finance/economics majors.

Cons

Management is quite conservative and difficult to advance due to job longevity of current employees.

Good Experience working here

Current Employee - Senior Informatica Developer in Dublin, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Informatica Developer in Dublin, CA

I have been working at Franklin Templeton Investments as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

work environment, hierarchy, learning, prmos

Cons

less duration of the project

"THE Best Company Ever". Missing that environment...

Former Employee - Senior Financial Systems Analyst in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Systems Analyst in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Franklin Templeton Investments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Chilled environment. Good work - life balance. Leadership was great while I was there. Learnt and grew a lot under their flagship. For me401k benefits were very good. Same goes for stock - options, time-off and on-site facilities (GYM, Cafeteria, Parking). The best team I ever worked for. Derived positive inspiration & influence from my leads. I can rank my team, as high on creativity and organizational skills.

Cons

Few knuckle heads in certain departments. But are tolerable, as those kind of LCD (Lowest Common Denominator) are everywhere. Promotions are tricky.

Please connect to right talent in the team and consider them as valuable asset. Everyone wants to do good job and receive recognition for it. Don't waste their enthusiasm and productive age

Franklin Templeton Investments Photos