Franklin University

www.franklin.edu

Franklin University Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014
Franklin University – Columbus – “Grounds of Franklin University near Alumni…”

Franklin University – Columbus – “Grounds of Franklin University near Alumni…”

Great place to work as a developer

Web Developer (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsYou will get to work with very skilled peers and the managers directly above the dev teams are great. I have read the reviews here about senior management and that sounds like axe grinding. None of that affects me at all. No middle management.

ConsNo clear path for contractor to be converted to employees yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementContractors are more motivated and bought-in when they have hope to become employees.

Decent, but flawed.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome of the people (usually non-management) are very good. Management holds periodic large scale meetings to keep employees informed about the institution. Employes are recognized for doing a good job. Nice benefits.

ConsMicromanagement. Compensation not very competitive with other institutions. While there are some opportunities for improvement, management seems to prefer outside candidates over promoting and training internal employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up on the micromanagement and let your people do their jobs. Reward the good ones by offering advancement opportunity and better compensation.

Opportunities and morale vary greatly by department.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsGreat benefits, get to work with truly nice, talented individuals that care about students.

ConsQuestionable promotions from within, not based on merit. There is no real internal job posting system, and people are just promoted mysteriously. They are overly tolerant of bad management, and many people who fail at their jobs just get reassigned.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Do real candidate searches instead of hiring from within. Revise performance reviews so they have meaning.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lovely

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI love this school! I have had the opportunity to both attend this University and work at this University.
    They genuinely care about their students. Of course they cannot please everyone, with that said, make sure you take EVERYTHING into consideration when making your decision on a University.

ConsThe pay is a bit low.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the pay for advisers... Especially if they have a MA.

Senior Management thinks they know it all

Staff (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsWe have nice offices and some of the people are fun to work with. The breakfast is nice but getting less so - they no longer provide plates.

ConsIf you have an idea and are not in senior management, forget about it. They only listen to themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome people on campus know something too. Why don't you ask them?

Fear Based Leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFranklin University does offer some advantages to the employee. Some of those advantages include tuition free education and an adequate benefits package.

ConsThe challenges of working at Franklin University are great. Beginning with a tiring regime of senior leadership that seems to "lead" by decisions made by consensus rather than confidence in ones own ability to execute a decision efficiently and confidently. Paralysis by analysis. This seems to promote a trickle down affect into a weak middle management that rarely can make a confident decision without the cliche catch phrase of a "buy-in". Impossible to succeed professionally unless you sit in the front row during university assembly.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions within are not always the best choice. If the goal is to grow and think outside of the academic box then possibly attracting new talent that is successful in the academic world would be key-more so on the executive/management level. Walk the talk. It seems unclear on whether leadership wants to run a university or a corporation. Most do not believe you can do both effectively and successfully. Please make a decision. But then again the ability to make a decision is what needs to improve greatly.

Outstanding for Adjunct Faculty

Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsCommitted to Adjunct Faculty. Office of Teaching Effectiveness does great job onboarding and mentoring. The provide outstanding recognition and professional development. Free courses for family members based on course hours taught. Excellent learning management system.

ConsEach program is managed by program chair. Not much departmental crossover. Some students are very challenged. Curriculum changes are very slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the support for your Adjunct team. Continue to strategically grow the University.

Excellent place to learn and work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsForward-thinking leadership and curriculum. Compensation and benefits are very good.

ConsDistance continuing education for adjuncts and staff is limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith the changes in technology, just making sure the remote adjuncts and staff are properly kept in the loop.

Academic Assistant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsWonderful staff and colleagues. Free breakfast, not too much work

ConsToo little work, Budget affects everything

Going out of business

Program Chair (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsBreakfast on Tuesday and Thursday, kind of goes along with the fatties that run things

ConsBuying buildings and fixing up old ones are silly. Consider that we have buildings that are half used.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the spending and adding overhead. Enrollment is down, stop spending.

Worked for Franklin University? Contribute to the Community!