Fraser Health

Fraser Health Reviews

Updated Feb 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Seniority trumps performance. Good job security with average compensation.

Audiologist/Speech-Language Pathologist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Fraser Health full-time for more than a year

ProsGood team camaraderie with most staff being quite knowledgeable. Good job security. More than average number of vacation days to start. Manageable workload.

ConsMicromanagement with limited funding for further education. Seniority plays a big part when it comes to promotions and compensation in a unionized environment. Outdated software.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat professionals like professionals, More education and learning opportunities.

IT is a lot of process over quality

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Fraser Health full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAll comments are related to IT jobs:
- Defined benefits pensions.
- Good salary since you can live outside the downtown core.
- Good networking for later contracting jobs (where the real money is)
- This place has a real love affair with the Health Informatics program at UVic.
- Good place for women to work as most staff and customers are women.
- Low/random pressure, so it's easy to take long lunches, second jobs, do personal work at work, schoolwork and certifications, etc.

ConsAll comments are related to IT jobs:
- Any of the statements about FHA being a great place to work pertain to nurses, not IT.

- FHA likes to over-hire. They have people with masters degrees doing clerical work. Also, very little actually gets done. Thus, working here will likely put your career on hold.
- Appearing to follow processes is far more important than quality.
- The culture places a lot of value of loyalty, seniority, and towing the party line over actual talent or effectiveness, etc.

- FHA prefers that most leadership positions (including IT leadership) to be filled with elderly women with clinical backgrounds. This means that many managers are completely inept at even basic IT management concepts and haven't learned anything in decades. This also means that if you do not have a clinical background, you have much less value to the organization.

- There was an IT outsourcing initiative that hasn't gone too well but in many ways has been officially declared a success. This means that lots of what FHA IT staff need to do is work that you're officially not supposed to be doing. As a consequence, the job descriptions are fiction and inflated hype.

Most IT staff don't have the authority to say no to bad ideas, so complex parts of the job involve dirty tricks drummed up to kill bad projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut the greyhair dinosaurs with early onset alzheimers out to pasture.

Could be better

I have been working at Fraser Health full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMany opportunities to grow in the organization

ConsPoorly run organization; poor leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove leadership

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall- positive. Great people with good intentions.

Excluded Management (Former Employee)

I worked at Fraser Health full-time for more than 8 years

ProsHealth benefits, work experience- you will never be bored. Opportunities are there if you are willing to reach for them. I had a great Director, who stood tall during many challenges that were foisted upon them and beyond their control (i.e. from MoH/Exec). Good work life balance.

ConsSalaries/wages are capped and have been frozen for a few years, due to BC Ministry of Health (MoH) budgets. Performance is not always rewarded and if rewarded, not through compensation. The HR dept is behind the times re: recruitment methods and criteria. IT support is underwhelming, the IS services are 10 years behind the times.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you bring people on board to be an expert, let them be an expert vs. outsourcing to a consulting firm which will cost you 3x the amount and give you the same opinion. Walk the talk and reward positive performance and address negative performance. Dont put people in leadership positions who are not competent but are friends with the higher ups. Follow your values of respect.

Many years...beaten down

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Fraser Health

Proswages and benefits are good

ConsManagement decisions very top heavy with little or no input from employees.

Stable Environment with Great Benefits

Associate, Recruitment Services (Former Employee)

I worked at Fraser Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Stable Environment
- Great health benefits
- Great time-off benefits

Cons- It's difficult to have a cohesive organizational culture because FH is very dispersed. Each hospital, facility, office, department, has their own unique culture. Some are good and others, not so much.
- Advancement is difficult in the arena of office work. Many people do not retire, and when they do, they still come back as casual employees, making it difficult for the "youngons" to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a chance on your younger employees. They have more to offer than you think.

Friendly and knowledgeable staff and RNs that support ESNs and work as a team unit

Employed Student Nurse On III South Surgical General Surgery (Current Employee)
Surrey, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Fraser Health as an intern for more than a year

ProsGreat experience for ESN`s to solidify their skills and hands on experience to practice new skills. RN`s are great to work with and value ESN`s and their presence. Student nurses can book their own schedules based on their availability, very flexible unlike other ESN position that require you to 4 days on and 5 off throughout summertime. I am able to work part of my hours in the summer and then finish them off in the winter during my holiday break. Working as an ESN also allows better job opportunities for after graduation to apply to internal postings and the unit will be more likely to hire you if they already know how you work. Overall working as an ESN here at Fraser Health has really solidified my skills and helped me build confidence in my RN practice.

ConsNot many downsides from an ESN`s point of view. Perhaps as a RN the cons of working for Fraser Health will be more apparent.

great health institute to work for

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
New Westminster, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Fraser Health full-time for more than 8 years

Prosbig organization able to work within other hospital regions in the same health authority. great nurses and doctors to work with.

Conssome of the hospital units need to be upgraded to accommodate over growing population

A fun and rewarding place to work.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
New Westminster, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Fraser Health full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe staff around me are dedicated, kind individuals that want to make a difference in people's lives. The management, though having to jump through hoops of Government funding, seem to really want to change for the better, especially regarding patient care.

ConsFunding often gets in the way of best care.
Culturally, it is sometimes hard to stomach as there are staff who are not kind to newcomers.
It is difficult to admit mistakes, as many are overworked, and mistakes means more work.
There is often staffing issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff morale is an issue. Attempt to resolve this with more fringe benefits, such as coffee in the mornings, or 5% staff time for training and professional development. I know this would make a huge difference where I work.

Switchboard operator

I have been working at Fraser Health

ProsGet lots of hours/shifts
Good pay, especially for stats and overtime
Friendly group of people to work with
Managers don't micro-manage
Policies and documents are organized
Structured, expectations are clear

ConsCan get VERY busy during the day

Worked for Fraser Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fraser Health reviews and ratings. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by Fraser Health employees.