Fraser Health Reviews

3.4

CEO

Friendly team environment

I worked at Fraser Health

Pros

Fraser Health was a friendly atmosphere that emphasized health and wellness of its employees. On-site fitness facility, as well as lunch time and after work classes (kickboxing, pilates, strength) made it easy to incorporate fitness into your day. The benefits and paid vacation time are above average.

Cons

Working in the public health system means you are settling for a lower pay grade, but the benefits/paid vacation/perks balance this aspect out.

Amazing, Busy fast paced, always on the run.

Current Employee - Nursing Unit Clerk  in  Surrey, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Nursing Unit Clerk in Surrey, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Fraser Health part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The reasons i love to work within fraser health is because it is such a fast paced environment, and not only that it has a great group of people whom are always open handed, ready to help and work as a team. I love coming to work not only for work but for my fellow co-workers

Cons

Some challenges are dealing with some patients whom have to wait a very long time to be seen by an er physician, and sometimes in general just trying to get hold of specialty surgeons.

I think the only thing i would have to say is ... change how patients first get triaged, and the flow of our care and treatment zone.

Demoralizing working environment

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst  in  Surrey, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Surrey, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Fraser Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, good work life balance, OK salary

Cons

- Takes forever to get anything done due to layers and layers of processes and policies
    - Super low morale. Most people stay because of the benefits, not because they like what they do
    - A decent place to get a job; not for someone who wants a career

Recognize who is doing the work, show that you care.. more face to face communications with your staff

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good experience for new therapists

Current Employee - Physiotherapy  in  Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Physiotherapy in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Fraser Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Well run physiotherapy department, great staff, multidisciplinary team approach
    Good hours
    Variety of experience, therapists rotate regularly to improve skills in all areas of the hospital
    Supports students

Cons

Always fighting to keep or improve resources
    Work load not always balanced between physiotherapists
    Parking is expensive or is so limited that staff has to park far away on a street

Should be career physiotherapists not from other professional backgrounds to represent properly

Great work environment

Current Employee - Clinical Pharmacist  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Clinical Pharmacist in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Fraser Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved working here because I had a wonderful and supporting team, as well as because I felt I could make a difference. The union benefits were also wonderful, job security was high, and also very importantly, pension plan contributions are some of the best around. From my experience the culture was also surprisingly supportive and understanding.

Cons

The trade off of the union environment are some of the cons, such as the draw back of seniority issues, inflexibility in scheduling, pay, opportunities, rigidity of rules. Also, in this industry the department always has to work towards reducing costs and fighting salary freezes.

Management could install a mentor system in the pharmacy department. This will help with retention rate, tighten community feeling, as well as increase intrinsic satisfaction rates.

o.k

I have been working at Fraser Health

Pros

I like my job and my work place ,Fraser health has a growing population and allows career growth.

Cons

we're hoping that our voice can be heard too before they make some changes

Smile or saying hello won't hurt you......

Over 15 years with Fraser Health.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Fraser Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great coworkers, rewarding job in being able to help others. Pay and benefits are good, although new rotations are creating workplace burnout. Lots of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Health Authority has grown too large. Employer seems unwilling or unable to address staffing concerns. Often appears changes are made without enough resources to ensure smooth transitions. "Home is Best" is touted as best for patients without enough resources being allocated to community programs. Continuing Education in the workplace has decreased significantly in the past few years.

Learn more about what your employees do and provide more resources for employees to deal with changes in programs and structure. Realize that new rotations and poor staffing are increasing burnout among nurses.

Good compensation, but......

I have been working at Fraser Health

Pros

Good compensation package.
    Defined benefits plan.
    For some management support, flexible hours.
    Good policies about privacy, diversity and respectful workplace.

Cons

Many managers are old school.
    Lack of transparency in the hiring process.
    Policies, in general, are not applied.

Be more efficient and respectful on managing resources.
    Money is limited and comes from taxpayers.

IT is a lot of process over quality

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Surrey, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Surrey, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Fraser Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

All comments are related to IT jobs:
    - Defined benefits pensions.
    - Good salary since you can live outside the downtown core.
    - Good networking for later contracting jobs (where the real money is)
    - This place has a real love affair with the Health Informatics program at UVic.
    - Good place for women to work as most staff and customers are women.
    - Low/random pressure, so it's easy to take long lunches, second jobs, do personal work at work, schoolwork and certifications, etc.

Cons

All comments are related to IT jobs:
    - Any of the statements about FHA being a great place to work pertain to nurses, not IT.

- FHA likes to over-hire. They have people with masters degrees doing clerical work. Also, very little actually gets done. Thus, working here will likely put your career on hold.
    - Appearing to follow processes is far more important than quality.
    - The culture places a lot of value of loyalty, seniority, and towing the party line over actual talent or effectiveness, etc.

- FHA prefers that most leadership positions (including IT leadership) to be filled with elderly women with clinical backgrounds. This means that many managers are completely inept at even basic IT management concepts and haven't learned anything in decades. This also means that if you do not have a clinical background, you have much less value to the organization.

- There was an IT outsourcing initiative that hasn't gone too well but in many ways has been officially declared a success. This means that lots of what FHA IT staff need to do is work that you're officially not supposed to be doing. As a consequence, the job descriptions are fiction and inflated hype.

Most IT staff don't have the authority to say no to bad ideas, so complex parts of the job involve dirty tricks drummed up to kill bad projects.

Put the greyhair dinosaurs with early onset alzheimers out to pasture.

Seniority trumps performance. Good job security with average compensation.

Current Employee - Audiologist/Speech-Language Pathologist
    Current Employee - Audiologist/Speech-Language Pathologist

I have been working at Fraser Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good team camaraderie with most staff being quite knowledgeable. Good job security. More than average number of vacation days to start. Manageable workload.

Cons

Micromanagement with limited funding for further education. Seniority plays a big part when it comes to promotions and compensation in a unionized environment. Outdated software.

Treat professionals like professionals, More education and learning opportunities.

Worked for Fraser Health? Contribute to the Community!