Fraunhofer USA

Add Photos

Dr. Georg Rosenfeld

Fraunhofer CSE

Research Fellow (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsAs an intern (here they are referred to as "Fellows") this is an excellent place to develop practical hands-on skills in the field of sustainable energy. As an intern I had an opportunity to help and learn more about writing research proposals, collecting and analyzing data, and writing technical reports.

ConsThere are many different research groups with different projects and goals so there is a "silo" feeling among the groups rather than a more inclusive feeling.
    This is a non-profit and the pay is quite low, even for an intern.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally enjoy the group activities that occur occasionally; its a good way to find out that even your PhD coworkers enjoy a laugh and a beer.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Fraunhofer CSE.... ruined by bad management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you care about clean tech and want to work with smart scientists.... then CSE CAN be great. Alot of passionate people interesting projects, close work with places like DOE and amazing startup cos. New building seems cool and VERY hightech.

ConsThey hired people with ZERO! leadership experience to call the shots..... BIG mistake. Bad management pretty much killed the center. One of the directors used to sell antiques which would explain ALOT about his management style... no real startegic direction just lots of jumping around on different ideas and running off whenever it gets too hard. Lots of $$ and time wasted on deadend projects that looked good on paper but never did anything. Never took any responsibilty for any screwups.... of course those were always blamed on somebody else (usually somebody who just got fired)

Office mood was AWFUL. Constant $$$$ problems killed alot of the perks like free bagels and people constantly getting fired with NO warning made everybody else super paranoid. after a while. Of course suckups got promoted like one former Wall Street guy who shows up out of the blue one day after buddying up to the big boss and acts like he owns the place. And did I mention the constant lying?? To employees AND customers! After a while we just tuned out what the management was saying because you couldn't trust it anyway.....

It looks like they got rid of the worst people which is GREAT news but there's alot of damage to fix. Not sure they can do it after so many years of bad bad BAD management.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit

Fraunhofer USA/CSE: OMG. Where to begin?

Senior Staff (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsConnection to the multi-billion dollar Fraunhofer Society in Germany ensures decent benefits and reasonable pay. The mission is noble and coworkers are smart, hardworking, and collegial.

ConsThe management of the Center is a joke. When the former Director left, employees were hopeful that things would improve. They have not -- and in some ways -- have gotten worse. Basic management principles are ignored and senior staff with experience are ignored or, if they speak out, sent on their way. An unwillingness to recognize the need for changes -- and make them -- will be the downfall of this organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease send in someone who knows what they're doing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great fun, not so great pay

Visiting Scientist: Building Efficiency Technology Team (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsMeet people from all over the world
    Interesting work
    Lots of freedom in learning opportunities
    Make amazing friends

ConsLaughably low pay for the work that needs to be done.
    Management had some pretty huge issues while I was there, and seemed to have gotten worse after I left.

Advice to Senior ManagementWay less in-fighting is needed.
    Listen more to the interns as we are doing sometimes the majority of the work involved in the project and often feel as we are never listened to.

Interesting and exciting work, questionable management practices, terrible compensation.

Research Fellow (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsAs long as we're talking just about the work, Fraunhofer USA- Center for Sustainable Energy Systems in Boston is an awesome place to work. The labs are new and well-equipped, the client work and internal research is interesting and relevant, and there are a great many learning opportunities for young scientists and engineers. The company is relatively young and diverse. Scientific (middle) managers are smart and supportive.

ConsThe company chews through short-term, poorly-paid new graduates on 6-12 month "fellowship" contracts. The fellowship program is revolving door of young people who needed to take a job after graduation. The pay is terrible and there are no benefits for fellows. Upper level management is patronizing and disingenuous toward lower-level staff. Also, in 6 months, several smart, capable "permanent" staff were terminated without advance notice.

Great Start, no where to go

ProsFraunhofer was a great place to start a career. as a R&D the projects are different and you learn alot about many things.

ConsLower pay and no room to grow

Extremely rewarding experience

Research Fellow (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsInternational team, lots of responsabilities, great place to work

ConsDoesnt lead to a full time job

Good place to start your career.

Scientist (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat ideas at work, people are smart and friendly. Good engineering facilities. Interesting projects to work on. Great work-life balance.

ConsBuilding is old and dark, no windows and very little interaction with the outside, once you are in the offices.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the growth opportunities for young professionals.

Smart people, great benefits

ProsFraunhofer employs some very smart people. Within a single center people are willing to share ideas and help out on projects besides their own. There is good collaboration on projects and a variety of work. Being a subsidiary of a German parent means the benefits are excellent. Job security has been guaranteed through the recession.

ConsThere is little interaction or collaboration between centers. It feels like they compete against each other at times. Within a center there are very few layers of management so upward movement is virtually nonexistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a sense of community among centers so employees feel like part of a larger organization.

Worked for Fraunhofer USA? Contribute to the Community!