Fred Beans Reviews

CEO

1. Great place to work!

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Flemington, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Flemington, NJ

I worked at Fred Beans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed working environment - no pressure sales job. Great for retirees. Excellent, continuous training programs available. Initial paid training period. Top selling brand (Toyota) sells itself, by default. No special skills needed. Benefits + free lunches on Saturdays are some of the great perks.

Cons

The automotive business has changed over the years- commission based pay can be tough for financially challenged individuals. This is not realistically a six figure income job- more like forty thousand, annually. This particular dealership LACKS the necessary leadership skills in middle/upper management.

Advice to Management

No advice for their management.

So Bad

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Doylestown, PA
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Doylestown, PA

I worked at Fred Beans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I liked alot of the people that worked there and most really try to help. The job will give you a greater appreciation for your next job. It's absurdly hilarious and so nonsensical .You will find the procedures from paperwork, managment, dispatch, dock-stagging, inventory control, loading and equipment so frustrating your head might explode your first day. Then you'll turn the key to to start your day and if your lucky you'll come to your senses and quit right then. I lasted about 6 months and will never forget it. It was awesome in a ' How does this place stay open and make money' kind of way. Great temporary/ in between jobs work. You will not feel bad when you quit.

Cons

Terrible equipment, dangerous enviorment, you will NEVER have what you need to do your job safely and correctly. Working pallet jacks pre circa 1940 are hard to come by.
     Employee beakrooms and bathrooms are so unsanitary and filthy that it would be better to avoid them at all cost. Maybe just go in your pants it would be more sanitary. The breakroom is horrible small, dirty and smells like Gym locker room in an open sewer.
      OH THE PAY. I almost forgot..it sucks $11.00 an hour. Dont worry you'll get a raise every NEVER. Seriously there were people there for 10 years without ever making more then I did on day one.

Advice to Management

YOUR WAREHOUSE IS AN ABSOLUTE FIRE HAZARD! No clearly marked fire escape plans, extinguishers. Fire exits, electrical boxes and the few extinguishers I saw are blocked by crap inventory. All the dust and ancient cardboard would make great tinder. I guess employees could just try to run ! However they would never be able to because your aisles are completely blocked by inventory, trash, boxes and sharp metal parts if they made it out it would be nothing short of a miracle.

Office work at parts warehouse

Former Employee - Office Work in Doylestown, PA
    Former Employee - Office Work in Doylestown, PA

I worked at Fred Beans full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Got experience in certain areas. But honestly not much to say good.

Cons

Management is very unprofessional. Team leaders Are no better. If u are looking for a place to grow this is not the place. You will be stuck in the same position for years and making only a few cents raise if you even get one. Would not recommend to anyone looking for an actual career. If straight out of high school sure... definitely not worth using a college degree on!

Advice to Management

Favoritism needs to stop. A lot of management and team leaders need to be replaced all together.

5. Look elsewhere, really.

Former Employee - Picker/Stocker in Doylestown, PA
    Former Employee - Picker/Stocker in Doylestown, PA

I worked at Fred Beans

Pros

Some real good, honest people work alongside you, (including some supervisors), but I can't for the life of me figure out why they stay there for as long as some do. Moreover, I can't figure out why some people act as if the butt-smooching will pay off in the end. (We all know it won't!) Treat this job as a carnival: get in there, witness the freak show, waste some time and move on.

Cons

The management is consistently untrained and unprofessional. Absolutely zero skillsets aside from 'bull-pooping' others. They're the kind of ill-mannered folks who flaunt 'Sigma Six' business training but have no understanding of what that actually means...(not to mention, 'Sigma Six' has been widely seen as a failure and fraud in the workplace for decades now.) Get a grip!

In defense of management, however, it must be stated that this failure of operations could only begin at the very top: Fred Beans, himself. How else does this company get to the point of being be run in the deplorable manner at which it currently operates? These people are crooks, quite frankly. They take advantage of good, honest workers by smothering any requests for reviews, never giving raises, and yet still working them to the bone each and every day. That's no lie or embellishment. I pride myself in hard work and being able to endure long hours. But the line needs to be drawn somewhere; and these conditions need to be agreed upon by the employee, not just shoved down their throats and used to taunt them with implications that state, "If you don't do it, maybe somebody else will..." Give me a break.

Warehouse workers not only suffer the hazardous conditions, (Including the extreme weather conditions of Summer and Winter), but they are basically forced to stay and work overtime because management continuously fails to properly staff and train the workplace. Off-days are frowned upon and you will be made to feel like a twit and a scoundrel if you have to take a legitimate sick day, or a scheduled vacation day, or even an on-the-spot emergency partial-leave somewhere in the day. In my time as a warehouse employee, I've bore witness to co-workers suffering injuries and slowly being pushed out the door while in recovery without lawful, financial care; I've seen lacerations and minor injury-stricken employees be sent to the doctor only to be given a drug test and no subsequent treatment, despite 'being clean'; I've seen and heard supervisors and managers openly harass, mock and slander employees for having a scheduled vacation day, or for calling out sick, etc. It's absurd, but true. And believe me--I've seen this at ALL levels of management, from the very distant-old to the freshly-newly appointed ones...

Fred Beans Parts only hires and promotes the worst of the worst. Don't believe me? Feeling masochistic? Try it out for yourself!

And if you are seriously considering employment at the warehouse, be sure to stand your ground. Have some backbone and defend yourself. You are not required to work 12 hour days everyday. It's not mandatory unless you agree to doing so prior to being hired. If you wish to leave at your scheduled time, do it. Don't be guilted into staying just because management has failed to perform their duties. Know your rights, lest you fall victim like the many before you and many more to come. Lord knows this is the place to prey on the weak. ;) Sup, Junior!

Advice to Management

Go to church. Find God. Learn to love yourselves so you can treat others with respect and kindness.

Oh, also: If you're going to gyp money from your workers on a daily basis, make sure they don't find out, doofus.

Have a nice day.

Sales and lease consultant.

Former Employee - Sales and Lease Consultant in Doylestown, PA
    Former Employee - Sales and Lease Consultant in Doylestown, PA

I worked at Fred Beans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are clueless on basic sales, you will be drilled as if you are a telemarketer on exactly what you will say to each customer....and when.

Cons

During "Training" you will receive almost no contact with a human being. You are sentenced to full time computer training. If you are summoned by your trainer, you will do all of his duties to get the car to detail, go get me this car in New Jersey, or Maryland, gas up this car, shovel the walk, clean off all the cars and any other duty he "Trainer" wants done. No training is given on the basic way the company does business in the back room. Sales Managers only give you numbers. NO TRAINING!! Your "trainer is a salesperson who has been with the Co. For less than a year. Good Luck. REVOLVING DOOR!

Advice to Management

I have been successful in business all of my life. I have been the General Manager in retail for many years. You have the worst Sales Managers I have ever seen. Sales managers train ! Not with a video that you have watched 100 times. You are the key to success for each salesperson but that is not how you do it!

Warehouse Assiciate

Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Doylestown, PA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Doylestown, PA

I worked at Fred Beans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can safely say their is not one good thing I can say about this place.

Cons

The list is too big to go through but in all no communication between managers, treated like a slave. Work long hours and tell you a set time when you start but never get out at that set time usually two hours after. A lot of favortism including harassment from Supvisors I've seen first hand. Fred Beans Parts was the worst job I'd ever had. Terrible work environment including dust, rodents, no heat or air. In certain positions walking on steel grates for up to 12 hours a day with 2 ten min breaks. Hard time getting off even for Emerceny's. Seems they hire mangemeby right off the street with no experience or degree's whatsoever. I'm honestly embarrassed for this company.

Advice to Management

Restructure everything about your company and treat your employees better.

High Turn-over with Poor Management

Former Employee - Sales/Leasing Consultant in Doylestown, PA
    Former Employee - Sales/Leasing Consultant in Doylestown, PA

I worked at Fred Beans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best Sales Training and resources for Automotive Industry in region. Room for growth into Management position if you perform well. Well positioned facilities in an equally accessible area. Huge regional exposure and brand recognition and ability to move laterally between "stores" to optimize selling resources.

Cons

Horrible Work/Life Balance. Sales teams are often negative, manipulative and back-stabbing. Employee's tend to harass customers and treat potential sales opportunities as a waste of time. Company values (From President down to Low Level Managers) tend to push sales over customer satisfaction on a regular basis.

Horrible Benefits, Draw compensation, and limited opportunities.

Advice to Management

Invest in HR and benefits for entire organization. Eliminate Draw based salary (as many other dealerships have done) to improve overall morale and as a result increase sales. Stop hiring salesmen with zero experience, which is the reason Turnover is so high.

9. Great People but, weak leadership

Current Employee - Tech in Doylestown, PA
    Current Employee - Tech in Doylestown, PA

I have been working at Fred Beans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love having my weekends off and I love the work schedule

Cons

my shop has pretty poor leadership

Advice to Management

Maybe a cost of living raise, I know guys who have been working here here for over 10 years without a raise

10. Detail Center

Former Employee - Detailer in Doylestown, PA
    Former Employee - Detailer in Doylestown, PA

I worked at Fred Beans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent money potential for age. Paid based on how many cars you washed during your work time. Ability to come and work to earn money outside of scheduled working hours. Get to use there equipment to detail your own car when your not scheduled to work. Discounts at Philadelphia Premium Outlets

Cons

Boss is terrible. Never get permission to take days off. They never train you to be able to detail the more rewarding cars. If you don't know how to drive stick they don't teach you (it says they will). No safety regulations in the garage. Cars are most of the time some how damaged by techniques that get the job done quicker than safer ones.

Advice to Management

Be more lenient with employees and understanding how and why they may be doing something wrong then showing how to do it correctly (while not making a public example out of it).

Wow, just wow...liars...all of them

Former Employee - Warehouse Staff in Doylestown, PA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Staff in Doylestown, PA

I worked at Fred Beans full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Other than having had the opportunity to leave...NOTHING!

Cons

Where do I begin? The entire warehouse is full of unprofessionalism. The people in charge..(.and believe me, there seem to be 15 bosses at this place based on how these people treat you..)..are all imbeciles. Zero respect. Zero empathy. Zero reward for your hard work. In the six or so years I've spent here, I've never seen a raise over 30 cents. Some of my coworkers haven't gotten so much as a review! If you go to call out or use vacation time you'll be hounded for it. Understaffed, underpaid, under appreciated. It's an OSHA dream land too. The level of dust and filth is just ad disgusting as the attitudes of the management. I heard there is a dead bird or two in another zone that never got cleaned up. It's just amazing how bad it is. Sickening. The summers were unbearably hot, the winters were unbearably cold...we worked in complete darkness when the power went.. Nobody liked it there. Nobody was happy.

Advice to Management

Stop thinking about yourselves and start treating your employees with dignity. Your monthly bonuses should not be priority over hard workers' raises. Fred Beans prides himself as a "giver".... Why doesn't he give back to his employees by granting them the payment they deserve? The harder you work, the more work they give you... With no incentive whatsoever.