Fred Finch Youth Center

Updated December 2, 2014
Updated December 2, 2014
2.9

Tom Alexander

Means well but that doesn't mean it pays well...

I worked at Fred Finch Youth Center full-time

Pros

Like most non-profits that have existed longer than 50 years, FFYC has embedded itself in Northern and Southern California and should be seen as invaluable to the communities they serve. They have a great mission statement and mean it. They are ever evolving to face the shifting landscapes of social service work. There are tons of great people who work for the agency. If you're fresh out of grad school and looking for your first "real" job, FFYC has the training grounds for you.

Cons

Typical non-profit in that they squeeze the most work out of employees for the bare minimum of pay. And when workers are overworked, underpaid, and not appreciated, burnout prevails and communities suffer. Unfortunately it can be a typical revolving door at FFYC especially front line staff. Expect a co-pay for benefits.

Show some sincere appreciation for your workers every once in a while. Try harder to get them raises. A stable core staff does wonders for the success of programs.

Has been a solid employer over the years that has become a great one in recent years

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Fred Finch Youth Center full-time

Pros

In the last year or two leadership changes at the top level has brought Fred Finch from a good employer to a great one. Upper management leads by example with their work ethic, clinical skills, and sincerity. the agency offers good programs and is always trying to improve. Folks are here because they want to be which translates into good services for kids and families. Good benefits for a nonprofit and generous paid time off.

Cons

Salaries are non profit salaries - it's just a fact of life.

supportive supervisor, thoughtful and caring colleagues

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Fred Finch Youth Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

My supervisor has a lot of wisdom, and a lot of the other supervisors seem to also. There is a lot of training on site. If you stay a while, you can get a lot of paid time off, and the benefits are pretty good for a nonprofit. Upper management is very accessible. I really like my colleagues. They often promote from within.

Cons

The clients served are very challenging and that can be very stressful. Also, there is a lot of documentation required.

Keep an open-door policy. Advocate for higher pay.

Great Company Overall, TBS/In-Home Department a MESS

I have been working at Fred Finch Youth Center

Pros

Flexible hours, the clients are amazing, paid travel, lots of PTO, co-workers are awesome.

Cons

The supervision is terrible. Management never knows what they are doing! If you have questions, you will get a different answer from every person. Also, they have never done the work of the clinicians they are supervising, so it's hard to feel you are given good direction.

Don't give advice to the clinicians if you haven't done the work yourselves. LISTEN to the needs of the clinicians! Stop running us ragged and expecting us to just keep taking it. Pay attention to WHY the turnover rate is so high and do something about it.

No interest in utilizing or building an employee's skill set

I have been working at Fred Finch Youth Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great majority of people are nice to work with; CEO is great

Cons

performance evaluation process is a joke - you don't get a raise until your supervisor turns in your evaluation-performance evaluation should be written by the supervisor, not the employee; performance evaluations should be required to be done in person, not over e-mail
    lack of interest in career growth; no goal-setting

Plan ahead to avoid problems so you spend less time fixing problems after the fact. Define job responsibilities so people know who is in charge of what. Hire so that you don't have to have competent employees fixing the mistakes of incompetent employees. Add a suggestion box where employees can provide confidential input to the board. Have a confidential whistleblower hotline.

Chaotic with questionable clinical director

Former Employee - Mental Health Therapist
    Former Employee - Mental Health Therapist

I worked at Fred Finch Youth Center full-time

Pros

Clinical experience is vast (can learn a lot quickly and thoroughly), work flexibility, independence, rewarding cases

Cons

Lack of safety protocols for clinicians, frustrating leadership, isolation, poor and unethical clinical supervision by director, *stagnant management*, unsupportive of professional development outside department

Management should undergo 360 review every year with possibility of demotion or lateral movement for department's good. All management should not retain positions with reoccurring poor feedback. Human Resources should heed clinician feedback aka department heads should be accountable to clinicians- not the other way around.

Improving over time

I have been working at Fred Finch Youth Center

Pros

Excellent new management will bring this company to five stars.

Cons

Salaries are terrible and performance review process needs improvement. Employees who have excellent backgrounds should be paid for their skill sets.

The new management knows how to recognize and say "thank you" to its employees and that alone says a lot. Continue to hire more qualified people. It will save time having to correct mistakes of employees or temps who don't have the knowledge or the diligence to correct their own mistakes. Continue to modernize the campus. (Repave and expand the parking lots.)

Needs to work on compensation and treating employees like they are valued

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Fred Finch Youth Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-small, family atmosphere
    -most people are nice

Cons

-some people are incompetent - you get what you pay for
    -others are very competent and underpaid for their years of experience and qualifications
    -finally institutes a performance review process and then no one gets a raise

-Performance review process is flawed - only three ratings with descriptions that don't even match everyone's jobs - should have 5 ratings with performance based goals
    -Managers, at least some of them, fail to set goals or act like they care about their employees' careers.

Just say no to Fred Finch!!!!

Former Employee - Mental Health Specialist in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Mental Health Specialist in Oakland, CA

I worked at Fred Finch Youth Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are none. Do not trust this agency!!! They hired me away from a huge non-profit and then rescinded my offer after making no explanations during the offer period. My life is on hold due to their unprofessional and unethical behavior.

Cons

Fred Finch hired me away from a full-time job as a clinician. They promised a higher salaray in the hiring process and then hours later took adverse action because of a moviing violation on my MVA record. The job offer was made over the phone and had no preconditinals. I had already left my job because of their offer and turnedd down other offerrs. When trying to communicate with the organization, HR and the clinical staff ignored me completely. They left a VM that my offer was rescinded. They knew I left a job for them, and this are guilty of fraudulent inducement. Their behavior was reprehensible. I'm now unemployed, have no health insurance and I'm looking at foreclosure. They loved my outstanding resume and qualifications, and then put me out like the trash with no thought to the personal and professional ramifications of their actions.

A good way to learn how a company will treat it's clients, is to watch how it treats its employees. If you're truly committed to working with children, and improving their lives, learn how to treat employees with integrity and respect.

Think again about working at non-profits

I worked at Fred Finch Youth Center

Pros

- they are really flexible with giving you time off
    - everyone is kind and easy to communicate with
    - generally a low-stress environment

Cons

- compensation is poor
    - there are a lot of incompetent people working there
    - not intellectually stimulating
    - not challenging

- offer performance-based incentives for employees
    - keep office politics and gossip to a minimum
    - teach people proper email etiquette