Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
3.7

Gary Gilliland

Pros
  • Management strives to ensure employees have a good work life balance (in 12 reviews)

• The benefits are great and the pay is on par with for-profits (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes difficult to move around (in 4 reviews)

• Turnover here is below average therefore career advancement is limited (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Environment

Current Employee - Professional Support Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Professional Support Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There's a great work life balance and it's both inspiring and educational to be part of a vibrant research community. Good number of paid holidays
    Good health care/dental

Cons

The paid vacation time is just so-so.
    There seems to be a nearly constant level of at least low-level reorganization within departments/divisions

Jan 6, 2015Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for your review! Many of our positions at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center support flexible work hours; work/life balance means a lot to us.

Not the best place to work, but also not the worst

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing research and medical care for cancer patients. Benefits are pretty good. Lots of opportunities to move around within the organization. Onsite restaurants (even if they are not great and very expensive, they work in a rush)

Cons

Managers, training and doctors that run the entire place. I was so excited to start working here. Now I would take the next job that will come along. Manager have been here forever are not very helpful and the training is laughable. A majority of the doctors are great, but then most are overworked and exhausted so they snap at the lower level people. Higher ups could careless. Each division is its one monopoly, tons of cliques within them. If you want to survive here get in with the popular group. Lastly while overall the work life balance is ok, and they says don't come in if you are sick. That's a lie. What the policy should really say is "Don't come in if you are sick, unless you have grant/work to do, then we don't care come in cause we are more important than your health".

Better training for admins and management.

clique dependent

Former Employee - Administrative
    Former Employee - Administrative

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Pros

Smart people at the scientist level, benefits good except, surprisingly, when employee gets cancer, by-the-book as far as leave, people offering to donate vacation time told no, back-to-work ASAP whether ready or not.

Cons

cliques galore! some consider co-workers their "family" and constant social gatherings, outside work, if you don't "join" and prefer off time with real family/friends, can become out and treated differently. Non-scientist supervisors/managers have no special training, or even BA degrees, tend to over-compensate as leaders. As it is with human nature, likeability and personality matter most. Lots of nepotism, friends & family both.

don't know how they would/could change such ingrown liabilities, or even know where they are and how to begin. Management is mostly concerned with bringing in money, fund raising, grant applying, etc. This can become a large part of job.

Time to turn things in the administrative division upside down Gary!

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time

Pros

Great mission. Effective research and lifesaving treatments. Wonderful location. Benefits are above average for a nonprofit. Training through HR is fair. Very chill, good work-life balance.

Cons

If you are a hard worker, a go-getter that wants to make change - look elsewhere for employment. Complacency and deference to those that have been with Fred Hutch for decades trumps new, effective ideas. Those that have been in their positions the longest - but might have no real education, work experience or management training - oversee those that are much more qualified. Once these 'managers' realize they are incompetent compared to their direct reports, they try to push them down or even fire them.

Hire a consulting firm to come in and review the various major departments. The auditors have to interview all employees within departments to evaluate satisfaction in a way that is confidential so that people aren't fearing for their jobs. The consultants should also looks at what each person DOES. Is their position still necessary - or has the person simply been there forever? Don't be afraid to clean house based on the feedback received. Change NEEDS to happen. Just because it has been done one way forever - doesn't mean there isn't a better way...

Jan 6, 2015Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry that you feel this way. Employee retention (both for seasoned and newer staff) is important to us. As an organization that tries to stay on the cutting ... More

Bloated Ineffective Administration and Good Ole Boys Club

Former Employee - Department Administration Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Department Administration Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You don't actually have to work while your at work-very little oversight.
    Supportive environment for balding men.
    Everybody is a 'Director'.
    Great life-work balance.

Cons

There is no supervisor or manager development or 360 review process: ineffective supervisors have no reason to better themselves or their team. The HR department, while nice, has no power to influence this issue when there are behavioral issues. Administrative pay increases are cost of living.

Begin a 360 review process for management, supervisors and employees. Run the center as a company would not an extension of a university dorm.

Jan 6, 2015Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for your review! We are sorry to learn of your experience and your concerns about our lack of diversity. Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center feels that diversity promotes creative and ... More

Great chill place to work with, but not a lot in expansion

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time

Pros

awesome work environment, great people to work with

Cons

limited career advancement, because it's a non-profit organization money is tight

Jan 6, 2015Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for being part of our work environment and thank you for your comments! We do recognize that there haven't always been paths for career advancements in every area, so several of our ... More

Great place for research

Former Employee - Research Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Research Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Intelligent and patient co-workers to work with

Cons

Boring if no interest in research

none

Jan 6, 2015Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for your review! Did you know that our research at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center doesn't just focus on disease treatment and cure, but also on disease prevention? Many of us have ... More

Fun co-workers, Flexible

Former Employee - Program Assistant II in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Program Assistant II in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The flexibility is great and so is the management. I didn't work there long enough to receive benefits but none the less, it was a fantastic experience.

Cons

Somewhat tedious, minimal supervision, lack cross-training

Jan 6, 2015Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your work and hope you will consider us as an employer in the future.

Research associate

Former Employee - Research Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn and get advices

Cons

Multiple tasking. Not easy to promote in a staff position.

Jan 6, 2015Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for your work at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and thank you for your comments. We are continuing to grow and have several openings listed on our website; please apply to any that ... More

work balance is good

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Pros

Good places to work, people are very nice here

Cons

the salary and benifit is not good

Jan 6, 2015Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for your review! Our Compensation Team (within HR department) is constantly working to keep salaries and benefits at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center competitive to market- no easy ... More

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Photos