Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.0
Gary Gilliland

Pros
  • Management strives to ensure employees have a good work life balance (in 12 reviews)

• The benefits are great and the pay is on par with for-profits (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes difficult to move around (in 4 reviews)

• Turnover here is below average therefore career advancement is limited (in 5 reviews)

1. A good place to work

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The organization's mission makes it easy to stay motivated and engaged Good work/life balance Excellent benefits

Cons

Salaries not competitive Many employees have their own offices, which does not seem like the most efficient use of multi-million dollar buildings by a not-for-profit

Advice to Management

The campus is far nicer than it should be. It would be preferable to see a higher level of frugality as far as facilities are concerned, switching to higher density and more open workspaces, leaving funding for more important initiatives. Sadly, I think the argument is probably that a world-class campus attracts world-class researchers, it shouldn't be that way.

Short Title

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great facilities, exceptional scientists, nice location, and highly motivated coworkers. On-site (but hard to get) daycare too.

Cons

Demanding and high pressure atmosphere, low pay (for training positions) and general lack of appreciation for the "training" scientists doing all of the work.

Advice to Management

Clearly it would be beneficial to all of science for trainees to receive higher pay. I understand this is not the fault of the management, but that of the NIH standards and current (flawed) academic research atmosphere. However, life in Seattle with low pay and zero job security is difficult.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Research Technician in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Research Technician in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits & retirement package. Promoted career development thru seminars & workshops. Loved the location and access to transit. Encouraged healthy living through employee programs & cafeteria. Great cafe vita coffee!

Cons

Child care extremely expensive & long wait list. Cafeteria was really expensive.

5. Research administrator

Pros

Great place to work! Great mission and employees

Cons

Limited ability to move up as it's a rather flat organization.

Information Specialist

Current Employee - Cancer Information Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Cancer Information Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The senior management supports and promotes a great work life balance. Allowing staff flexible scheduling shifts, this makes it possible for staff to take time for self care after difficult patient interactions. The office work culture is is very positive, everyone is vert nice and passionate about what they do.

Cons

Unfortunately, there are few if any career development/ advancement opportunities for this position. Most people come in at the same level and pay scale and there are not many ways to advance as the majority of the staff has been working at the office for more than five years.

Advice to Management

Increase pay base

Hit or Miss

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time

Pros

Friendly company to work for.

Cons

Depending on the PI who manages you, you'll be worked to death. Or chastised when you want to work a regular 40 hour work week rather than the expected 60+ hours.

Advice to Management

Don't allow PI's to overwork their researchers

So far so good

Current Employee - Statistical Research Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Statistical Research Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been here for 3 months, and so far it has been a great experience. My group is friendly and willing to let me learn the data at my own pace.

Cons

The only real con I have so far, is that the salary is quite a bit lower than comparable positions.

Advice to Management

Increase the pay base.

9. Good work environment

Current Employee - Research Technician in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Research Technician in Seattle, WA

Pros

A lot of great people here. Plenty of seminars and events.

Cons

Pay isn't great, not many opportunities for advancement.

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Response

Jun 4, 2015 – Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for your review! We agree, there are so many great people that work at Fred Hutch – their passion and commitment is unparalleled! Please know that we are working on ways to strengthen ... More

10. I am a current research technician, just graduated from the Uw.

Current Employee - Research Technician I in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Research Technician I in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company moral. People are very kind and they hire great people.

Cons

Management is individually based so you can end up in a very stressful environment and it has nothing to do with this company.

Advice to Management

Every position will be completely different. Ask the PI how the lab deals with failures and how training is.

11. Excellent

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time

Pros

Great People who care about curing cancer

Cons

there limited career development opportunties

Advice to Management

career development

RSS Feed </> Embed