Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
130 reviews filtered by

1. work balance is good

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Pros

Good places to work, people are very nice here

Cons

the salary and benifit is not good

Jan 6, 2015Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We are happy to hear that you enjoy working at Fred Hutch - and we agree, the people here are a pleasure to work with!

We do offer a comprehensive benefits
    ... More

2. Doing cutting edge research at Fred Hutchinson

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Relative flexible working hours and feel good about doing world class research on cancer

Cons

less pay and lot of over time not because you are forced to do so but to keep in the front line in research it is not a 9-5 job any more.
    Federal funding is an issue and lot of labs are closing due to lack of funding

Jan 6, 2015Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your continued dedication to Fred Hutch. We agree -- conducting research to prevent and discover cures for cancer is inspiring.

The current fiscal
    ... More

3. Innovative

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Pros

Working towards a goal to improve the quality of life is amazing

Cons

Unless you are a scientist there is not much room for growth

Jan 6, 2015Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for being a contributing part of our organization and for your comments! We agree that our mission and goal of preventing, diagnosing and treating cancer, HIV/AIDS and other diseases is ... More

Fred Hutchinson is a great place to work

Current Employee - Database Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Database Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Life-work balance is tremendous. Schedules are often very flexible especially in the IT sector. Contribute to the greater good! When funding ends for one grant there are often opportunities within the Center to move to other grants. If you work for a Center department that covers multiple grants, your job security is greatly increased.

The Center often will help grants with staff salaries when funding gaps occur.

Cons

Advancement is not quick and there are not stock options. You may be at the mercy of grant funding which can end leaving grant funded staff looking for work. A wise employee is always watching for when grants are ending and positioning themselves for the next grant down the pike.

Compassionate to a fault, staff who are not functioning are given more chances than they deserve.

Excellent research environment with great benefits.

Former Employee - Research Technician in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Research Technician in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, which will depend on where exactly you are working. Excellent benefits package and additional health programs. Atmosphere is fantastic and the campus setting is beautiful.

Cons

Some labs can be difficult depending on the PI. Not really anywhere to advance to in research.

7. good experience

Current Employee - Statistician in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Statistician in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

people is nice to work with

Cons

some projects are not interesting

Cutting-edge research organization that's making a difference

Former Employee - Non-research Staff Positions In Various Programs/Labs in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great work environment, opportunity to work with talented faculty and staff who are engaged and committed to the mission. Nice facilities, good work-life balance and generous benefits. General reputation for less formality and hierarchy between faculty and staff. Of course, experiences vary across departments, but in general staff are valued and appreciated. Again, varies by group, but in talking with staff at other organizations in the sector, my impression and experience is that there are more advancement opportunities for staff at this organization.

Cons

Grant funding can be a challenge for project-based staff, but that's true across the board, not just at the Hutch.

In-depth review of performance review system would be worthwhile. There are many good managers, but I'd also recommend looking at those who have exceptionally high turnover to ensure they receive training/monitoring on how to retain staff.

9. depends on what group you are in

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Pros

matched 403B benefit, good insurance coverage, decent pay for fresh grads

Cons

management has some problems and job assignment can be largely unfair

Admin Review

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time

Pros

Great campus, great people, employees treated very well.

Cons

Not a prospect for making a lot of money

Great people & benefits, Decent pay, Some management problems

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As the title says, the people are great, as is often the case in not-for-profit. For the most part, everyone wants to be there, which makes a difference to the overall culture and environment. The benefits are great and the pay is on par with for-profits.

Cons

Because this is a not-for-profit it does suffer from certain infrastructure/management problems. Depending on your department, you have doctors or nurses doubling as managers. (Management is a skill, and just because you are a bigwig does not mean you have that skill.) Because this is a healthcare industry, they behind the times in certain technological areas (some jobs still use old fax machines, for example). Depending on your job, there may not be room for advancement.

Managers should be adept at management, not just knowledgeable in medicine or nursing. Hire accordingly.

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Photos