Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
3.7

Mark Groudine

Pros
  • Management strives to ensure employees have a good work life balance (in 11 reviews)

• The benefits are great and the pay is on par with for-profits (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes difficult to move around (in 4 reviews)

• Recently the marketing/business aspects of the non-profit have been ramped up, sometimes it seems to the detriment of the science (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great mission, great people!

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time

Pros

Excellent staff, commitment to end cancer, good benefits.

Cons

Expand the child care program, long wait.

Keep up the good work.

A door that never stops spinning around

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Pros

Bone marrow transplant by Dr Thomas decades ago. There are some very nice people but a majority lack any real skills. They wouldn't survive anywhere else.

Cons

Scientist with huge egos wasting government funds and funds from local community. Riding on tail of Bone marrow transplant.

Get a grip on reality. You are not gods. What have you really done?

Postdoctoral Research Fellow

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can meet some scientists with wisdom and deep & broad knowledge.
    Good postdoctoral services.
    Convenience for transportation and downtown life.

Cons

A few of Principle Investigators are very money-oriented and always proposal, funding, and publications.....I know it is tough for budge-limited, but research should be fun and will be funded.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good place to work

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Pros

good working environment, nice co-workers, great public resource, good location, nice view.

Cons

compensate is not really satisfying, people here tends to stay much longer than other places

Dedicated people, challenging environment

Current Employee - Desktop Support Tech II  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Desktop Support Tech II in Seattle, WA

Pros

Working with people who have a common goal, and lots of passion for their work. Exciting science happening right under your nose. Management cares about their staff and wants them to succeed; effort to promote from within.

Cons

Fred Hutch started as a coming together of several independent research groups, and there is still a lot of separation and some territorial feeling between the groups. I work in IT, where it has been very prevalent in spite of management efforts to move towards a "one IT" structure. Working with hyper-intelligent doctors can be stressful due to massive egos. Pay is on the low side for the IT world, and funding for the whole organization is heavily dependent on federal grants - thus, the sequester is hurting the pay scale considerably. For the same reason, important IT projects are on hold and equipment is aging.

Supportive environment, but could use stronger leadership at the management level

Former Employee - Program Assistant II  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Program Assistant II in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Supportive, nurturing environment with great benefits

Cons

Salaries need to reflect cost of living in Seattle

A comprehensive review process is needed, as a way for employees to improve

Very positive environment!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relaxed workplace, coworkers are easy to get along with, good location, good money, good benefits; just an overall great place to work.

Cons

It can be hard to move up, and the politics in some other parts of the organization aren't that great.

Be open with your employees, try to reward good work rather than just admonish things that need improvement, and continue to challenge us!

Toxic, smug, unprofessional management

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working for an organization that works to cure cancer and HIV/AIDS
    Great location

Cons

Lack of skilled management. Project Coordinators (at least mine, I should say) was woefully unskilled in how to manage/supervise, never training you, just expecting you to be psychic when you walk in the door, and setting you up to fail. HR is completely useless. As in other reviews, they do not care about you if you are not science/research staff or faculty. Administrative staff are regarded as second class citizens.

Management should all be required to take classes on how to effectively train and supervise if they are required to do so in their role. Program Coordinators blame lower-level admins for their own ineptitude. High pressure, high stress grant dependent environment. My direct supervisor was hostile, completely incapable of training, and obviously had personal issues that caused anger problems. I found out afterwards that I had been this department's fourth assistant, and now understand why I would get the "sympathy glance" when I informed them who I reported to.

Great place to work

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Collaborative, world class, great mission.

Cons

Scientists should not necessarily be executives in fields outside of their expertise.

Program Assistant

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Pros

The Lake Union area is lovely - great restaurants, parks and cafes.

Cons

The culture has changed with the new leadership. No longer feels like "family."

Worked for Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center? Contribute to the Community!