Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Updated October 22, 2014
Updated October 22, 2014
3.8

Mark Groudine

Pros
  • Management strives to ensure employees have a good work life balance (in 12 reviews)

• The benefits are great and the pay is on par with for-profits (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes difficult to move around (in 4 reviews)

• Not a prospect for making a lot of money (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Supportive environment, but could use stronger leadership at the management level

Former Employee - Program Assistant II in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Program Assistant II in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Supportive, nurturing environment with great benefits

Cons

Salaries need to reflect cost of living in Seattle

A comprehensive review process is needed, as a way for employees to improve

Very positive environment!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed workplace, coworkers are easy to get along with, good location, good money, good benefits; just an overall great place to work.

Cons

It can be hard to move up, and the politics in some other parts of the organization aren't that great.

Be open with your employees, try to reward good work rather than just admonish things that need improvement, and continue to challenge us!

Toxic, smug, unprofessional management

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working for an organization that works to cure cancer and HIV/AIDS
    Great location

Cons

Lack of skilled management. Project Coordinators (at least mine, I should say) was woefully unskilled in how to manage/supervise, never training you, just expecting you to be psychic when you walk in the door, and setting you up to fail. HR is completely useless. As in other reviews, they do not care about you if you are not science/research staff or faculty. Administrative staff are regarded as second class citizens.

Management should all be required to take classes on how to effectively train and supervise if they are required to do so in their role. Program Coordinators blame lower-level admins for their own ineptitude. High pressure, high stress grant dependent environment. My direct supervisor was hostile, completely incapable of training, and obviously had personal issues that caused anger problems. I found out afterwards that I had been this department's fourth assistant, and now understand why I would get the "sympathy glance" when I informed them who I reported to.

Great place to work

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Collaborative, world class, great mission.

Cons

Scientists should not necessarily be executives in fields outside of their expertise.

Program Assistant

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Pros

The Lake Union area is lovely - great restaurants, parks and cafes.

Cons

The culture has changed with the new leadership. No longer feels like "family."

Great place!

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Pros

Learn a lot, supportive staff

Cons

Not always easy to navigate

Listen to your employees

Awesome organization.

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Pros

Opportunity to contribute to meaningful mission statement. Responsible employees have freedom within the scope of their jobs to provide creative solutions to department/organization challenges. I frequently come in contact with general folks and those in my personal life who have been treated or had a loved one treated for cancer here and have nothing but respect and admiration for the place and staff who treated them on their journey. That is the best thing about working here - a place that makes a positive impact on so many lives.

Cons

External factors over which we have no control (such as sequestration) that nevertheless impact us.

Continue engaging with employees at all levels. Seek input, listen, act, follow up. This is mostly done - just keep doing.

Recent laid off employees treated with lack of empathy and respect.

Current Employee - Research Technician in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Research Technician in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good culture diversity. Idea of advancing medicine and science. Long term employees with knowledge. Lots of good mentors willing to give experience to co workers. Advancing science by integrating young adults into the field.

Cons

Managers evolved in too much politics. Management lack of communication among departments, Some department managers evolved in unethical behaviors. Disrespect to departing employees, negative talk within departments causing employees to become demoralized. Low communication between management , HR and payroll.

Treat employees with respect. Recent laid off workers were not offered severence packages. The employees had given over 10 years of service individually, leaving with good standing and long term service. How horrible to treat employees with no empathy and respect. The is demoralizing to the departing employee, as well as demoralizing to the remaining employees. This can destroy a companies reputation. For a company that relies partly of public contribution, it really bad business to treat employees in this manner.
    PAY THE EMPLOYEES THEIR SEVERENCE . Protect the company, the remaining employees and the companies future employees from bad public information.
    Management is completely unqualified and unprofessional and they lack the form of communication among departments and their employees.

Find a good PI to work for or look else where

Current Employee - Research Technician
    Current Employee - Research Technician

Pros

The benefits are great and if you have a good PI they will try and take care of you as much as possible. This place will give you all the tools you need to move onto a better paying job and give you a good resume.

Cons

The problem here is that there is a HUGE and I mean HUGE disconnect between faculty/senior management and the "workers". They do not care about how little they pay technicians and they give the lowest pay raise they can give. If you plan on making research a career do not try and make one here as a research technician especially in the HVTN it's pointless. They give lame reasons for not paying people properly and also they like to make Research Tech I's do comp time instead of paying them overtime, which I may add is illegal and they are required by law to pay tech I's overtime. They can however do comp time as long as the tech uses it in that same week, rarely happens. Last reason is that their budgets are always too tight, but they can give themselves nice fat pay raises or higher people who are not qualified.

If you do not want to manage people and do not want to compensate your employees with current market values be up front when hiring that you do not plan on promoting and can only pay them the minimal pay increases that are required.

Plenty of opportunity

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time

Pros

Many different departments and divisions to help diversify your work experience and career growth. Great teamwork and helpful co-workers. Good benefits and beautiful location.

Cons

Increase in cost of on-campus monthly parking year over year.

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Photos