Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Updated December 27, 2014
Updated December 27, 2014
3.7

Gary Gilliland

Pros
  • Management strives to ensure employees have a good work life balance (in 12 reviews)

• The benefits are great and the pay is on par with for-profits (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes difficult to move around (in 4 reviews)

• Turnover here is below average therefore career advancement is limited (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

82 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Environment

Current Employee - Professional Support Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Professional Support Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There's a great work life balance and it's both inspiring and educational to be part of a vibrant research community. Good number of paid holidays
    Good health care/dental

Cons

The paid vacation time is just so-so.
    There seems to be a nearly constant level of at least low-level reorganization within departments/divisions

Jan 6, 2015Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for your review! Many of our positions at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center support flexible work hours; work/life balance means a lot to us.

Bloated Ineffective Administration and Good Ole Boys Club

Former Employee - Department Administration Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Department Administration Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You don't actually have to work while your at work-very little oversight.
    Supportive environment for balding men.
    Everybody is a 'Director'.
    Great life-work balance.

Cons

There is no supervisor or manager development or 360 review process: ineffective supervisors have no reason to better themselves or their team. The HR department, while nice, has no power to influence this issue when there are behavioral issues. Administrative pay increases are cost of living.

Begin a 360 review process for management, supervisors and employees. Run the center as a company would not an extension of a university dorm.

Jan 6, 2015Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for your review! We are sorry to learn of your experience and your concerns about our lack of diversity. Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center feels that diversity promotes creative and ... More

Great place for research

Former Employee - Research Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Research Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Intelligent and patient co-workers to work with

Cons

Boring if no interest in research

none

Jan 6, 2015Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for your review! Did you know that our research at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center doesn't just focus on disease treatment and cure, but also on disease prevention? Many of us have ... More

Fun co-workers, Flexible

Former Employee - Program Assistant II in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Program Assistant II in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The flexibility is great and so is the management. I didn't work there long enough to receive benefits but none the less, it was a fantastic experience.

Cons

Somewhat tedious, minimal supervision, lack cross-training

Jan 6, 2015Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your work and hope you will consider us as an employer in the future.

Research associate

Former Employee - Research Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn and get advices

Cons

Multiple tasking. Not easy to promote in a staff position.

Jan 6, 2015Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for your work at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and thank you for your comments. We are continuing to grow and have several openings listed on our website; please apply to any that ... More

Doing cutting edge research at Fred Hutchinson

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Relative flexible working hours and feel good about doing world class research on cancer

Cons

less pay and lot of over time not because you are forced to do so but to keep in the front line in research it is not a 9-5 job any more.
    Federal funding is an issue and lot of labs are closing due to lack of funding

Jan 6, 2015Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your continued service to Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. We have received a decrease in National Institutes of Health (NIH) grants over the last ... More

Fred Hutchinson is a great place to work

Current Employee - Database Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Database Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Life-work balance is tremendous. Schedules are often very flexible especially in the IT sector. Contribute to the greater good! When funding ends for one grant there are often opportunities within the Center to move to other grants. If you work for a Center department that covers multiple grants, your job security is greatly increased.

The Center often will help grants with staff salaries when funding gaps occur.

Cons

Advancement is not quick and there are not stock options. You may be at the mercy of grant funding which can end leaving grant funded staff looking for work. A wise employee is always watching for when grants are ending and positioning themselves for the next grant down the pike.

Compassionate to a fault, staff who are not functioning are given more chances than they deserve.

Excellent research environment with great benefits.

Former Employee - Research Technician in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Research Technician in Seattle, WA

Pros

Flexible work schedule, which will depend on where exactly you are working. Excellent benefits package and additional health programs. Atmosphere is fantastic and the campus setting is beautiful.

Cons

Some labs can be difficult depending on the PI. Not really anywhere to advance to in research.

Cutting-edge research organization that's making a difference

Former Employee - Non-research Staff Positions In Various Programs/Labs in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great work environment, opportunity to work with talented faculty and staff who are engaged and committed to the mission. Nice facilities, good work-life balance and generous benefits. General reputation for less formality and hierarchy between faculty and staff. Of course, experiences vary across departments, but in general staff are valued and appreciated. Again, varies by group, but in talking with staff at other organizations in the sector, my impression and experience is that there are more advancement opportunities for staff at this organization.

Cons

Grant funding can be a challenge for project-based staff, but that's true across the board, not just at the Hutch.

In-depth review of performance review system would be worthwhile. There are many good managers, but I'd also recommend looking at those who have exceptionally high turnover to ensure they receive training/monitoring on how to retain staff.

good experience

Current Employee - Statistician in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Statistician in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

people is nice to work with

Cons

some projects are not interesting

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Photos