Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Updated February 18, 2015
Updated February 18, 2015
3.9

Gary Gilliland

Pros
  • Management strives to ensure employees have a good work life balance (in 12 reviews)

• The benefits are great and the pay is on par with for-profits (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes difficult to move around (in 4 reviews)

• Turnover here is below average therefore career advancement is limited (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

87 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

This company has been great. Excellent benefits, very intriguing research, and great city to live in.

Former Employee - Research Technician in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Research Technician in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Subsidized bus pass, cheap healthcare, centrally located.

Cons

Very expensive, if you want to live anywhere within 5 miles of work.

Intern

Former Intern - Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-Friendly work environment
    -Faculty and Staff are proud to work here

Cons

-Disconnect between departments, science and business sides work fairly independently of each other

-Find a way to connect the science/research and business/development
    -Do more national campaigns to spread awareness about Fred Hutch

Awesome Place to Work

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You are able to have a career in medical research here, does it get much better than that? My direct supervisor was really good, he was very thoughtful about how he communicated to employees. He would often ask for our opinions regarding management decisions. It made it so we were all very invested in the research.

Excellent benefits including medical, dental, subsidized bus passes, healthy challenges (where you compete to make healthy lifestyle changes) with benefits like free or reduced fitbits, and a locker room (for those commuting by bike). Overall a lot of people that are really passionate about their work. Everyone working 20 hours or more gets full benefits. The HR department was more helpful than most companies. They really help you find the best people when hiring and help with conflict resolution if asked.

Cons

Parking is expensive for employees. Also, most people are funded on NIH grants which means every few years there can be a big transition in funding within individual studies which can lead to layoffs. The "center funded" (non-grant funded) people have gone through quite a few layoffs themselves since overall funding decreased with the recession. In short, working there during the recession produced many of the same, scary outcomes that everyone in the USA was facing. I think the HR department is really good about trying to keep good people at the Hutch and have helped several of my former employees find work with other studies after we went through a major transition.

Definitely take the 4 day management class offered by the HR department. It's an excellent class and the 4 days are over the course of 4 months. You make some great connections at Fred Hutch by taking that class as well.

The current Senior Management could do more to connect and talk to lower level employees. Although, they are going through a search for a new president, so this might change. Lee Hartwell (former president) did a lot of this when he was president. I think it really makes a big difference. I loved to see him serving hotdogs and hamburgers to employees during the summer Hutch wide employee party.

It's a great cause to fight for, but the effort doesn't pay

Current Employee - Research Technician II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Research Technician II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great sick leave policy. Ok vacation policy. Amazing retirement benefits. Flexible work environment. Nice people to work with (depending on your group).

Cons

Each group is essentially run like their own entity, responsible for their own budgets and salaries. There's very little space to move up in responsibility (and especially pay) if you stay in the same position for the long term. There's very little cross training available to staff if they want to say move to another specialty or even add to their resume.

Work with UW and provide employees with educational benefits, because in the long run it will only help the organization. Give the employees some incentive to stay and continue to grow at the Hutch.

Not the best place to work, but also not the worst

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing research and medical care for cancer patients. Benefits are pretty good. Lots of opportunities to move around within the organization. Onsite restaurants (even if they are not great and very expensive, they work in a rush)

Cons

Managers, training and doctors that run the entire place. I was so excited to start working here. Now I would take the next job that will come along. Manager have been here forever are not very helpful and the training is laughable. A majority of the doctors are great, but then most are overworked and exhausted so they snap at the lower level people. Higher ups could careless. Each division is its one monopoly, tons of cliques within them. If you want to survive here get in with the popular group. Lastly while overall the work life balance is ok, and they says don't come in if you are sick. That's a lie. What the policy should really say is "Don't come in if you are sick, unless you have grant/work to do, then we don't care come in cause we are more important than your health".

Better training for admins and management.

Great Environment

Current Employee - Professional Support Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Professional Support Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There's a great work life balance and it's both inspiring and educational to be part of a vibrant research community. Good number of paid holidays
    Good health care/dental

Cons

The paid vacation time is just so-so.
    There seems to be a nearly constant level of at least low-level reorganization within departments/divisions

Jan 6, 2015Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for your review!

As a grant-funded research organization, the structure of our teams and departments can change based on funding or research focus. We do our best to minimize the

Bloated Ineffective Administration and Good Ole Boys Club

Former Employee - Department Administration Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Department Administration Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You don't actually have to work while your at work-very little oversight.
    Supportive environment for balding men.
    Everybody is a 'Director'.
    Great life-work balance.

Cons

There is no supervisor or manager development or 360 review process: ineffective supervisors have no reason to better themselves or their team. The HR department, while nice, has no power to influence this issue when there are behavioral issues. Administrative pay increases are cost of living.

Begin a 360 review process for management, supervisors and employees. Run the center as a company would not an extension of a university dorm.

Great place for research

Former Intern - Research Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Research Intern in Seattle, WA

Pros

Intelligent and patient co-workers to work with

Cons

Boring if no interest in research

none

Jan 6, 2015Recruiting Specialist

We are so delighted that you had a chance to intern with us to learn about the work we do and the impact we are having in biomedical research and global health. We agree -- we do have wonderful and ... More

Fun co-workers, Flexible

Former Employee - Program Assistant II in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Program Assistant II in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The flexibility is great and so is the management. I didn't work there long enough to receive benefits but none the less, it was a fantastic experience.

Cons

Somewhat tedious, minimal supervision, lack cross-training

Jan 6, 2015Recruiting Specialist

We are happy to hear that you had a great experience with us. We do have strong leadership and we are glad that you enjoyed working with your manager.

We are working on ways to develop our

Research associate

Former Contractor - Research Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Research Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn and get advices

Cons

Multiple tasking. Not easy to promote in a staff position.

Jan 6, 2015Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for your work at Fred Hutch and for your comments. Fred Hutch is definitely a great place to learn and get trained under some of the best researchers in the world.

The work we do