Fred Meyer

Fred Meyer Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Fred Meyer President Lynn Gust

Lynn Gust

Pros:
  • "The pay is good and it doesn't take too long to see a raise"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Company offers good benefits for their employees"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "Hardly anyone is ever hired full time - you have to work there forever to get a"
    in 12 reviews
  • "They only hire part time- Way much to nepotism"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Company.

ProsDepending on the store, work and life balance is ok, unless you are a closer. Then you are there till almost midnight, and at times, past it. Friendly staff.

ConsGood managers are always moved, hours can be difficult, customers can be difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the good people happy, as they will stay with the company longer.

It has it's ups and downs

Fuel Center Clerk (Current Employee)
    Cornelius, OR

ProsYou get to work outside. Great exercise. Almost never boring. You get to work with the general public, if you're into that sort of thing.

ConsNot a lot of opportunity for growth, unless you work inside the store. Incentives are few and far between.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't micro-manage. Pay more attention to the scheduling.

Ok company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood company to work for, good culture

ConsWay too structured, not enough pay

Advice to Senior ManagementRelax

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I greatly enjoy working for Fred Meyer and couldn't imagine working anywhere else at the present time.

Loss Prevention Manager (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsI enjoy that Fred Meyer believes strongly in a balance of work and personal life. I also enjoy the different opportunities to move up within this company.

ConsI can' think of any cons other than maybe wishing there was Fred Meyer in more states than there currently is.

Fred Meyer

Multiple (Current Employee)
    Twin Falls, ID

ProsWe have food a lot for hitting safety goals. Its nice to get fed.

ConsI work a lot of doubles and there are weeks I don't get days off. Upper management prefers that you follow them blindly. If you request days off you tend to get hours cut. And they will go above and beyond for people who call in a lot but people who work 5 days a week and only get scheduled for 20 hours in those 5 days but work there way up to 40 they treat like garbage.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to stop choosing favorites. They need to stop going to other departments to talk bad about people who have applied in those other departments. Just because they don't want to lose that employee. They write people up for things they didn't do just to ensure they can not go to another department. Which is how they lose the good employees and keep the bad.

no title

Service Deli Manager (Current Employee)
    Everett, WA

Prosthey have good benefits and care a lot about their employees.

Consneed more training hours and preparation for jobs

Advice to Senior Managementsometimes you should look a little deeper at situations to know what really goes on. a lot of cut throat politics at the departmental levels

Horrible place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI can't think of any.

ConsIt's every man for himself at this place. Documenting everything is essential while working at this place because anyone will throw anyone under the bus just to save themselves. There is no working together as a team at this place.

Cart Pusher

Grocery Parcel (Former Employee)
    Covington, WA

ProsThis job is perfect for high school students who are looking to make some money while still in school. They were very flexible with changing schedules and good to their employees.

ConsThe pay was minimum wage as expected in a position like this. There was not much room for advancement for the younger employees.

Fred Meyer is great.

CCK Cashier (Former Employee)
    Vancouver, WA

ProsThe pay is good and it doesn't take too long to see a raise. The people make it worth your while.

ConsScheduling is a pain, if you need a day off they don't really help to work around it.

Home Electronics Department

Spokane Valley, WA

ProsWorking with stuff the newest technology (or for Fred Meyer anyways). We were always behind the times, getting the newest stuff maybe 6 months after it came out. The people in the department were great. Even with all the stuff I write below, I and my team had enough fun at work to pass the days, and was a good overall job to look forward to going to everyday.

ConsNever enough hours to cover the floor. You would have a task to do, and never have the correct stuff to do the task. It was typical for the main office to have you do a planogram before you even had the product. Very consistently there will be only 1 person on the floor, and the store director is to worried about his bonus to add hours to cover the floor and help customers. We were secret shopped one time per period which was so stupid because everyone knew ahead of time what we would be shopped on, the management had access to the secret shopper website and told us all what the secret shop would be on. So we would only give the "excellent" customer service to customers in those areas, the rest would get ignored because like I stated above there was only one person on the floor most of the time, and to many customers to help. On top of that we had many work tasks to do, and would need to get all of that done on top of helping the customers. Then they would have what they call "hammer time" where one time per hour they would announce its hammer time over the intercom, and various associates would have various things they had to do. The electronics department would have to go greet customers that were walking in the door. Management liked to hang out in the office, and talk about there new car, bonus, or whatever was going on in there daily life. The Store director would sit in his office reading his P&L report and looking confused about it, then would call the managers and tell them to cut hours. Standard Peter Principle stuff. The Managers and Director were typically the people who have worked there the longest. Google it if you don't know what that is. Customers constantly pooped on the floor in the restroom, you wouldn't think it but this happened a few times a week. We had daily huddles where the Director or Department Managers would talk about numbers for about 30 minutes, it was very boring, but a good time to zone out. Normal stuff, lol.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop worrying about the new Ford F-150 you want if your bonus is enough. And don't worry about reading the P&L if you don't know how. Worry about taking good care of your associates and they will take care of the store. Most of you do.......

Worked for Fred Meyer? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fred Meyer reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Fred Meyer CEO Lynn Gust. All 256 reviews posted anonymously by Fred Meyer employees.