Fred Meyer Jewelers

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Peter M. Engel

Could be a fun and profitable place to work.

Sales Professional (Former Employee)
    Knoxville, TN

ProsBase pay is better than most retail. Advancement is possible. Kroger company benefits are excellent. Hours is the market place store are better than mall hours.

ConsVery little training. The computer system is very old fashioned. Checking in new merchandise and repair takes much longer than it should. I know there is much better technology out there.

Advice to Senior ManagementManager belittled employees. Sometime an excellent sales person does not make an excellent manager. Manager had little to no HR training and made hurtful comments to employees.
    Advertising of the market place stores doesn't include the jewelry store. Jewelry is hidden in the corner.

Bring back the fun times

Manager (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsMaking customers happy. Merchandise is getting better. Great credit options for customers.

ConsBeing scrutinized at least once a week by my boss who has not spend more than 4 hours in my store over the past 12 months. Even if you make sales plan he has something to complain about.

Advice to Senior ManagementToday I wanted to tell my boss about $10k sale we had. But after about 15 seconds of that he lectured me for 20 minutes about "what am I doing next and tell me why I don't have stronger measurables."
    Yes by the way I made my sales plan! (a week early)but some how I still didn't work hard enough.
    Is this the culture Kroger wants in there establishment?

Amazing people to work with, company takes care of their people, but with some unrealistic goals.

Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
    Merrillville, IN

ProsGreat almost-family like atmosphere, the company really cares about their workers, great discount, company also provides plenty of education opportunities.

ConsUnfortunately, sometimes the goals were just unrealistic with the traffic and the recession. Everyone on my team worked hard, and when it's consistently not enough upper management uses scare tactics. It's not effective with the atmosphere they create with their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore realistic goals. Also, the buyers seem to be really going for more of a low class buying range, there were days we took in more repairs than sales. Need to buy higher quality items.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No Training.

Sales Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsFull time positions available.
    Company pays decent for retail.
    Commission on every sale.

ConsHigh sales goals.
    No training.
    Very poor leadership.

Came into the company with no jewelry sales experience. The manager and assistant manager said they were willing to train me on how to sell. Once I started they realized they had no time to train and just threw me in. They expected me to make large sales alone within a week of employment. I was released from my position because I was unable to meet the sales goals due to my lack of knowledge on how to pressure people into buying.

Advice to Senior ManagementPoor managers will always have a high turnover rate.

wages and medical

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Tacoma, WA

ProsHaving a union, having a job, working with great and dedicated people! on the ground level, and being able to serve customers and see they're wishes and dreams come true! Truly a wonderful opportunity to serve of our community.

ConsThey don't believe in sharing with employees the rise to there fame!. They are guilty, like most corporations, of giving the upper management raises instead of the people who got them there fame. Without us! they would have nothing!!, And yet, they are not willing to give us the pay we deserve...., that got them to where they are now....!
    Does WALMART RING A BELL!
    It should, because they are no better if they don't pay the people who got them there notoriety to begin with!. Come on FM! Where would you be if we didn't keep that ball rolling for you!. No where, Do you actually think if it weren't for "you" ! this company would not be great! Don't flatter yourselves! without us, your walmart and just another cheating corporation! treating everyone badly, and pocketing the money we made for you! Sleep tight!

Advice to Senior ManagementGive it to the people who got you there! Down size upper Management if you have too!, pick the people who actually helped you, not the people who thought their implementation is why we got there! Not True!, we did it for you! still, without us, it would not have gotten done. period!.

Welcome to retail. Enjoy your stay. Or not. Whatever. It's a job.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsHaving a job is nice, especially in the current job climate. The starting pay at FMJ is definitely better than some places that start you at minimum wage, so the fact that FMJ doesn't do that is commendable. There are times when working there (for me) was downright fun... and there was some flexibility in scheduling (if you happen to get a manager who understands that stuff happens and people have families that take precedence over making a buck for a company). Occasionally you can get small bonuses (gift cards and whatnot) for either making sales or credit app goals. There is a small graduated commission scale based on sales percentage to goal, so you can make extra money above your base pay.

ConsIt's retail. It's a pretty cut-throat world because everyone wants to get 'the sale' - it can be a bit of fun competition, but unless you are very aggressive then you may just get run over. That's just the way it goes. If you are not an introvert like me then you will probably do okay.
    The commission for sales you do get is pretty abysmal. You have to do pretty much all the marketing. Fred Meyer Jewelers does VERY LITTLE advertising - just the occasional online banner and I think it only appears if you have mentioned them or visited their website or Facebook page - HOWEVER, there is virtually NO radio advertising (outside of some targeted markets in limited cities - not for all areas FMJ are located in), and I think I have NEVER seen a TV ad. Therefore not a whole lot of people out there know that Fred Meyer Jewelers even exists. In addition to meeting your sales goals while on the floor, you also have to walk around the store - where people are trying to buy meat, vegetables, personal products, stuff like that - and you have to convince them to come into the jewelry corner to spend money they hadn't planned on spending.

Also, if you love busy work and paperwork, then you'll LOVE this job. If you LOVE having to change the way you do things every 6 months because they've changed their minds - AGAIN - and so you have to be retrained how to do it differently. Welcome to the world of retail.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to see sales increase for the entire company, and not just certain stores in prime locations, you need to increase your advertising budget. If the general population doesn't know about your stores through advertisement, how will you grow in the future? Repeat customers are nice, as are customers who happen to discover us while grocery shopping or wondering through the mall, but NEW customers who are actually looking to buy jewelry and who become repeat customers is even better. The few people who work in the stores can only market to so many people... radio advertising as well as advertising on cable TV is not as expensive as you think when compared to struggling to keep the repeat customers you have. You are getting your butts kicked by those other jewelry stores in volume because you refuse to let people know you are even there. You will make a higher volume of sales per advertising dollar than you think. You know the old adage - you have to spend money to make money. It's pretty aggravating that they don't advertise, especially when every single time I commuted to work (which took about 40 minutes) I heard advertisements on the top talk radio station for 2 or 3 other jewelry stores no less than 4 times on the way there and 4 times on the way back home - for OTHER jewelry stores, never for FMJ. In retail, if you don't advertise, you are just asking to have to struggle for sales - or fail.

Retail is a mixed bag all around

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Kalamazoo, MI

ProsGreat sales/product training, flexible hours during the year, lots of opportunity to move up with new stores opening

ConsNo holidays with families, low pay for high expectations, black out dates/blocked vacation dates

Advice to Senior Managementcompensate your staff more aggressively to maintain committed individuals and prevent high turn over

Retail Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsWorking in a grocery store is great, you can have anything you want to for lunch and pick up things you need on the fly. The benefits are very good: health, eye and dental insurance. My 401K is building quickly. I LOVE jewelry, access to catalogs and jewelry from other stores is nice as well as the employee discounts.

ConsThe online exclusives are unavailable to sell, the jewelry quality is getting less and employees cannot buy care plans to cover diamond purchases in any way. Seniority is a big issue, unfair practices by managers and assistant managers and terrible hours. If you are new, plan to work every single weekend and holiday, sick or personal days nearly impossible to take. You can get written up for almost anything and it is a hard job because there is a lot of paper work, jewelry re-tagging, pulling, shipping, and restructure work on a daily basis while you are trying to sell and replace watch batteries and clean jewelry. The goals are ridiculous, $11,000 in a 5 week period typical and you are reminded on a daily basis of your numbers (insurance plan sales, data entry quota and credit application minimum requirements) or guess what, you get written up and threatened to get fired.There are no raises now. You work alone frequently and are at risk to getting held up by a crazy guy with a gun. Responsibilities are more than the compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementA manager or an assistant manager should be required to work at all times. No strict sales goals or practice fair sales structure. NO ONLINE SALES ONLY, all of the jewelry should be in the stores available to sell (so we can meet goals). Fair scheduling, if an associate earned a vacation they should be able to take it when they want not be last in line to get a chance at the barely open schedule times available. I still have not taken one because the other persons I work with have seniority and had to take all of theirs first. JUST BE FAIR!!! Senior management should visit frequently with rewards for good work and there does need to be something more positive to look forward to. We do not have any Christmas bonus or parties. Too serious, I love jewelry but is is not fun to work there most of the time :(

It is a great company to work for with a lot of room for advancement with hard work.

Sales Professional (Current Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsWith hard work a person can advance their career fairly quickly. There is opportunity for relocation if that is a desire. Base pay is better than minimum wage but not compariable to a 9-5 M-F career. It is a fast paced enviornment. There are minimum monthly sales requirements and other requirements that the employee must meet in order to maintain employment. I would recommend only determined sales people apply. Must be outgoing, not afraid to engage with strangers and I recommend at least liking jewelry. This is a fun job but not easy for everyone.

ConsThe company runs on retail hours so if you aren't used to retail hours then it could be a difficult adjustment. Holidays, and weekends are required.

Hatted the politics

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsGreat fn working with people who are purchasing jewelry

ConsPolitics of management and seniority taking presidency over what's right is an issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch to make sure employees are judged on merit, not just longevity.

Worked for Fred Meyer Jewelers? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fred Meyer Jewelers reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Fred Meyer Jewelers CEO Peter M. Engel. All 41 reviews posted anonymously by Fred Meyer Jewelers employees.