Fred Meyer Jewelers Reviews

Updated February 13, 2015
56 reviews filtered by
Peter M. Engel

Pros
  • Good benefits, parent company is solid (in 5 reviews)

• Base pay is better than most retail (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales goals are hard but attainable (in 5 reviews)

• The upper management makes you feel like you don't deserve to have any type of life because you are "working retail" (in 5 reviews)

1. great company

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Fred Meyer Jewelers as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I had the pleasure of participating in a summer internship with the marketing department at FMJ. Cannot say enough great things about this experience - the people were incredibly friendly and helpful, I learned a ton, and had direct exposure to senior executives

Cons

I honestly cannot come up with any obvious cons. At first, the small size can seem intimidating. Don't be afraid to ask questions

2. Not the best...

I have been working at Fred Meyer Jewelers

Pros

Good people, relative autonomy in decision-making, interesting work and environment, some departments have great leaders, decent work-life balance

Cons

Very little room for advancement, very infrequent pay increases, very strict rules regarding overtime, not very much vacation time, the work can be uninteresting, and some departments have sub-par leadership

Pay your employees what they are worth and give people opportunities to grow and advance in the company. Allow for more flexible scheduling.

3. What rolls downhill? Our Commission! going, going, going, soon to be gone! UPPER MANAGEMENT GREED! SHAMEFUL!

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Fred Meyer Jewelers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Love the Customers! Love the Closeness and family feel we are "allowed" to have with them, for now. Making people happy and showing you really do care about them, their families, and want to help them in any way you can, while doing your job and making the company $$$$$.

Cons

they take away or lower our rightful commision.
    they force us to compete with our managers. our managers sales quotas=really goals! are rediculously low. we are not team players we are competitors now, with no leaders, only takers.
    the "quotas" (not sales goals) are usually beyond reach for most employees.
    If you are under 25, and don't make your quotas, you will keep your job anyway, if you are pretty, sexy, hunky, etc. if your over 40, and you don't make your quotas, your a gonner! see ya!
    $1500. deductable for a single person! WHAT!, who can pay that on 30,000. per year! you look forward to employees not ever seeing a doctor! YOU DON"T CARE! SO QUIT ACTING LIKE YOU DO!

stop being so shameful, treat your employees like human beings, pay them for the work they do, care about their families and situations they need to address, quit threatening them with the quotas, quit being lustful to the younger employees and ditching the older ones! you too will get older someday.....and for god sakes enforce the dress codes, some of the girls dress like lower avenue hookers and sluts! Embarressing to most! I see customers leave our store because of such shameful attire! and you just sit there and stare! UGH

5. This diamond ring dosent shine for me anymore

I worked at Fred Meyer Jewelers

Pros

Customers are generally happy and glad to be in the store. It's clean and not overly physical. No crazy hours. Diverse

Cons

Uper management makes up goals that middle management achieve through dubious choices.
    Ageist. The long turm reputation of the brand is being sacrificed for short turm gains

Events are not special, sales are not special, if held too frequently

6. Great company!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Fred Meyer Jewelers

Pros

Part of the Kroger company. Great health dental life and vision benefits. you make an hourly wage plus commission. the company also pays for your schooling to become a certified diamontologist through the DCA.

Cons

Very slow during summer hours so commission isnt great.

I absolutely love helping people find that perfect gift.

I have been working at Fred Meyer Jewelers full-time

Pros

Wages are competitive
    Company values are very high
    the perks are there if you work hard.

Cons

The lack of commission rules and deviations in different areas, say that they need to establish some strict guidelines between associates and managers. It changes almost on a weekly basis, depending on the favoritism in the store.

If you are the retail manager, adopt some ground rules to minimize having to referee such fights between your thoroughbred salespeople.
    Once the customer walks out, you do not get credit for the sale.
    Close ‘em or lose ‘em – no business cards given to customers to ask for me.
    Never cut in on a sale unless the other person allows it privately first.
    Never mention whose sale it is or commissions in front of a customer or both of you lose credit.
    When a customer asks you to hold something for them, due to lack of inventory, that sale belongs to that salesperson.

8. Poor

Former Employee - Sales Professional in Forney, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Forney, TX

I worked at Fred Meyer Jewelers part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of fun with the customers.

Cons

easy schedule to work , benefits not so good. to expensive.

The same as above.

Worst Company or Maybe Location

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Merrillville, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Merrillville, IN

I have been working at Fred Meyer Jewelers part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get to sell jewelry to happy couples. You get a great discount and that's about it.

Cons

The new location Manager is completely clueless. He treats his staff like peasants who's sole job is to do his job while he makes sales. They make you "lease line"--soliciting customers from outside of the store--like carnival people. You get in so much trouble with mall security. The store is full of ex-managers of that location, making it hard to make money, or a decent hourly. All they care about is credit...you get more turn downs then approvals, yet sales never improve. Management DOES NOT train its new employees at all...the sales team has to train new employees, sale, and be held accountable, while the manager just stands around. Worst job or maybe location ever!!!! Wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy.

Get rid of the hanger on ex managers!! If a manager stepped down they shouldn't be at that store. Make the store manager train their own staff! If you hired them, you should train them or we shouldn't be held accountable for running the store, training new sales staff, and making our numbers. Something should give.

They should appreciate their employees

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Fred Meyer Jewelers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They offer training, and insurance for their employees.

Cons

There is no advancement in this company. If you want a raise, it is almost impossible to get. If you want more money, you need to sell their warranties on their jewelry. The quality of the jewelry has gone downhill. They now have glass infused (filled) rubies, which can't be cleaned in an ultra sonic cleaner or even steam cleaned because the filler will separate from the ruby and look cracked. The computer system is old and outdated. You are forced to push their credit. The upper management makes you feel like you don't deserve to have any type of life because you are "working retail".

Please put yourself in "your sales associates" shoes. Are you able to raise a family on what you are paying them? I'd like for them to try and live on what they are paying us. It is really a joke.

11. Sales Professional for 6 months...new Marketplace

Current Employee - Sales Professional
    Current Employee - Sales Professional

I have been working at Fred Meyer Jewelers full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good hourly rate, GREAT sales training, bright clean atmosphere, good prices

Cons

Need to attain a lot of knowledge - not about the merchandise - but about FMJ procedures. Competition within small store among employees for customers & commission. Managers have large sales goals & are competing with their team members & trainees.

Pay the managers a good salary & base their bonuses on store sales - let them coach their sales team & reap the benefits when the whole store does a great job. I HATE competing with my manager for sales. Just feels wrong. Will probably move on job-wise because the tension/ competition negatively affects customers & I don't agree with that.