Fred Meyer Jewelers

Updated November 5, 2014
Updated November 5, 2014
2.9

Peter M. Engel

Pros
  • Good benefits, parent company is solid (in 5 reviews)

• Base pay is better than most retail (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales goals are hard but attainable (in 5 reviews)

• The upper management makes you feel like you don't deserve to have any type of life because you are "working retail" (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

I absolutely love helping people find that perfect gift.

I have been working at Fred Meyer Jewelers full-time

Pros

Wages are competitive
    Company values are very high
    the perks are there if you work hard.

Cons

The lack of commission rules and deviations in different areas, say that they need to establish some strict guidelines between associates and managers. It changes almost on a weekly basis, depending on the favoritism in the store.

If you are the retail manager, adopt some ground rules to minimize having to referee such fights between your thoroughbred salespeople.
    Once the customer walks out, you do not get credit for the sale.
    Close ‘em or lose ‘em – no business cards given to customers to ask for me.
    Never cut in on a sale unless the other person allows it privately first.
    Never mention whose sale it is or commissions in front of a customer or both of you lose credit.
    When a customer asks you to hold something for them, due to lack of inventory, that sale belongs to that salesperson.

Poor

Former Employee - Sales Professional in Forney, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Forney, TX

I worked at Fred Meyer Jewelers part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of fun with the customers.

Cons

easy schedule to work , benefits not so good. to expensive.

The same as above.

Sales Professional for 6 months...new Marketplace

Current Employee - Sales Professional
    Current Employee - Sales Professional

I have been working at Fred Meyer Jewelers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good hourly rate, GREAT sales training, bright clean atmosphere, good prices

Cons

Need to attain a lot of knowledge - not about the merchandise - but about FMJ procedures. Competition within small store among employees for customers & commission. Managers have large sales goals & are competing with their team members & trainees.

Pay the managers a good salary & base their bonuses on store sales - let them coach their sales team & reap the benefits when the whole store does a great job. I HATE competing with my manager for sales. Just feels wrong. Will probably move on job-wise because the tension/ competition negatively affects customers & I don't agree with that.

Worst Company or Maybe Location

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Merrillville, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Merrillville, IN

I have been working at Fred Meyer Jewelers part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to sell jewelry to happy couples. You get a great discount and that's about it.

Cons

The new location Manager is completely clueless. He treats his staff like peasants who's sole job is to do his job while he makes sales. They make you "lease line"--soliciting customers from outside of the store--like carnival people. You get in so much trouble with mall security. The store is full of ex-managers of that location, making it hard to make money, or a decent hourly. All they care about is credit...you get more turn downs then approvals, yet sales never improve. Management DOES NOT train its new employees at all...the sales team has to train new employees, sale, and be held accountable, while the manager just stands around. Worst job or maybe location ever!!!! Wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy.

Get rid of the hanger on ex managers!! If a manager stepped down they shouldn't be at that store. Make the store manager train their own staff! If you hired them, you should train them or we shouldn't be held accountable for running the store, training new sales staff, and making our numbers. Something should give.

They should appreciate their employees

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Fred Meyer Jewelers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They offer training, and insurance for their employees.

Cons

There is no advancement in this company. If you want a raise, it is almost impossible to get. If you want more money, you need to sell their warranties on their jewelry. The quality of the jewelry has gone downhill. They now have glass infused (filled) rubies, which can't be cleaned in an ultra sonic cleaner or even steam cleaned because the filler will separate from the ruby and look cracked. The computer system is old and outdated. You are forced to push their credit. The upper management makes you feel like you don't deserve to have any type of life because you are "working retail".

Please put yourself in "your sales associates" shoes. Are you able to raise a family on what you are paying them? I'd like for them to try and live on what they are paying us. It is really a joke.

Love this company!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Provo, UT

I have been working at Fred Meyer Jewelers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very competitive hourly pay plus commission. They truly do promote from within and the management is stern but relatable. They motivate employees very well.

Cons

Not really any. Sales goals are hard but attainable. Just work your hardest and you'll do well.

Always hit your sales goals and be very knowledgeable in both the product and the company policies.

The real Fred Meyer jewelers.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Meyer Jewelers part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy going environment. The Assistant manager was cool.

Cons

little pay for the amount of work.

Take time to train employees. they are the front of the store.

Store manager for 22 years

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Fred Meyer Jewelers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I work with many wonderful people over the 22 years i spent with the company.

Cons

Would and will promote outside the company, before promoting inside the company.

believe in your people, because they are your greatest asset!

Could not be happier

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Fred Meyer Jewelers part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedules, instant trust, lots of opportunities. All of my co workers at this store are fair, honest, and hard working. Great training from my assistant manager. She leads and practices what she preaches. My manager is awesome, none of this flexing your power. She is there for her employees and the entire team and we all know it.

Cons

None at this point. Fellow employees are great people. They each bring a style of selling and helping our. Customers to the table. Many have worked in the jewelers business for several years and with the same company,

None at the store level.

Good Corporation TERRIBLE middle Management

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Juneau, AK
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Juneau, AK

I worked at Fred Meyer Jewelers part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Kroger group of companies are really progressive and they are fairly generous with total compensation package i.e. Salary, Commission, and benefits.
    They are fairly well organized at the corporate headquarters in Portland with Senior management and C-level executives always willing to speak and listen to employees and sales associates

Cons

The middle management was seemingly Unchecked.. The regional manager in the area I worked for was dismissive, lazy, and would not listen to serious employee grievances regarding the sub par store managers he hired. The store managers he hired were usually "His Girls", basically young, uneducated and untrained sales associates that he flirted with and more... The store manager(s)... I went through 4 in the 2 plus years I worked there... weren't even trained and had no people or management skills. They would flirt with the regional and always dress seductively when the regional was in town. When staff called the regional to report the manager a young and dumb 22 year old was never in the store, merchandise was missing and the store was a mess, we were all threatened and then the manager told me that she would never get in trouble because she "Has Skills". She also indicated that she had "relations" with this regional manager, who had been with the company since the early 1980s.

Also, the merchandise kept getting cheaper and cheaper and cheaper, both in price and quality.

Institute a comprehensive training program for managers or only hire managers with previous experience. Get rid of useless middle managers and improve the quality of the merchandise. Otherwise the company is good to work for and customers seemed happy when the store managers actually do what they are supposed to do.