Fred Meyer Jewelers Reviews

Reset

1. Sales Professional

Current Employee - Sales Professional
    Current Employee - Sales Professional

I have been working at Fred Meyer Jewelers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to grow. Opening more stores in different regions.

Cons

New areas do not have a lot of volume yet, therefore lacking good paying commission.

FMJ's Corporate Office is the absolute worst! Avoid at ALL Cost.

Former Employee - Corporate Staff in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Corporate Staff in Portland, OR

I worked at Fred Meyer Jewelers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are very few.

- Discounts at Fred Meyer are a pro.
    - Sample Sales are a pro.

That is really it.

Beyond that, there are really no benefits to working here. Trust me.

Cons

Let's start by saying, if you love working in a collaborative, fun and pleasant environment where employees are not only encouraged but liked, then Fred Meyer Jewelers corporate office is NOT the place for you. Seriously. If you like getting up and going to work happy and ready to take on the day, run don't walk from Fred Meyer Jewelers Corporate Office.

You might be wondering why, maybe even saying, this person is clearly a disgruntled employee. I can say with confidence this is just not the case. I worked for FMJ through all the good times and there was a time when that was the case. For roughly 7-8 years of the 15 years I was there, this was the case. The remaining was like I did a stint in a maximum security prison. The business was built by a man who cared dearly for every single person who worked for or under him. He retired and left the keys to the shiny red Ferrari (aka the business) to a real piece of work who really was like the Big Bad Wolf in Granny's clothing and with the new regime came total destruction.

The people of FMJ, the workers and a few really really loving and caring managers (and there are a few) really are wonderful. That is, who hasn't been fired, lost their jobs because of countless excuses. Really, in the larger view it would appear they cleared out anyone who was making higher wages (do to time of service) and benefits. I don't know the exact count but in about a 3 year span, roughly 20-25 employees were terminated. Not in a staff reduction or reorganization but picking them off one by one, like a game. It was like the Hunger Games of FMJ. If you didn't cross every T and dot every I... gone. Taken into a little conference room and given a pink slip.

I was one of a handful who got out while I could. I could sense the end coming my way. Being written up for everything they could find including clocking in early. Which is another great point, nowhere in my time at any business have I ever seen people standing around waiting for a clock to hit a time. Yes that's right, people lined up to quickly run their time card through so that you got right on the dot because if you were early or late - it was counted as an offense. You got so many offenses and boom, in the room you go.

There are many other things that people having received "written warnings" for including but not limited to performance evaluations, even when you reached your goals did you try your best, did you exceed - no? That's a warning. Best of all is time and attendance. Strictest policy I have ever seen, they have an admin who is watching, hovering and ready to pounce on everything from clocking in, to calling in sick (even to care for your children) and it doesn't matter if you have sick time, vacation etc. and many people have hours and hours of sick time and come in deathly ill in fear it could be a reason to get fired and it is. You could be written up for missing a period in an email - that would be deemed failure to communicate. Trust me. This has gone on and many people have received countless warnings and there have been excessive amounts of turn over.

The staff and tone of this office is built on fear and intimidation all from the President Peter "Pete" Engel and a few of his henchman. Along with the firing of long time employees and scaring people into showing up to work everyday, they really enjoy paying you just enough to live and enough to have you fear leaving because could you do better? But never giving raises beyond "the scale" and the scale is set for every person who's not a hand selected manager. There are no promotions within, more demotions so they can pay the next man less wages or the best of all, for many of the worker bees - TEMPORARY WORKERS (gasp) are replacing permanante positions and those people are even easier to get rid of and never pay a working wage OR offer benefits.

Are you excited to work here yet?

Lastly, there is no care about you as a human. They'd prefer (like Pete) for you to be a male, no children, no family and no life. It would be even better if you lived in your car in the parking lot to ensure you are not stuck in traffic. No one cares that your children have a basketball game or a choir concert or if you have ebola - you better get your butt to work.

Having worked at FMJ's corporate office for many years and then leaving (escaping really) for better, much better, basically I arrive at work now and it's like Disneyland. I'm paid for what I do. My manager's show appreciation and have built a path for promotions and advancement, I can't believe I lived in this hell hole for as long as I did. Best decision in my life was leaving the office at Fred Meyer Jewelers.

They might be conflict diamond free but the office is like slave labor in itself - and they should really fire Pete and start over. The Fred Meyer side of things is great and should really teach FMJ how to run a business where employees are engaged and happy.

Advice to Management

Fire Pete Engel, only I'd really appreciate it if you did it like he's done to so many people. Start bring him into an office and say you know, that email you sent where you didn't put a period, we're going to have to write you up for that and next time you really need to make sure you pay better attention. Repeat that a few more times on a few other things, like his excessive travel and time off and then after he goes a year really worrying that he's going to lose his job. Bring him in and tell him that it's just not working out.

OK I'll be realistic here. Management. You have a problem in this office. Happy and engaged employees build success. Temps have no care for your brand. Pay people for what they do, a single scale across a large group of employees doing many tasks brings down morale.

If you wonder why your growth and general business is down, look at how you've treated your staff at the office. That all trickles down to your sales staff at the stores.

I'd really like to tell you to get a clue but that's not very nice but either is firing 20-25 employees for really stupid things that could have been avoided.

Not the best...

I have been working at Fred Meyer Jewelers

Pros

Good people, relative autonomy in decision-making, interesting work and environment, some departments have great leaders, decent work-life balance

Cons

Very little room for advancement, very infrequent pay increases, very strict rules regarding overtime, not very much vacation time, the work can be uninteresting, and some departments have sub-par leadership

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they are worth and give people opportunities to grow and advance in the company. Allow for more flexible scheduling.

What rolls downhill? Our Commission! going, going, going, soon to be gone! UPPER MANAGEMENT GREED! SHAMEFUL!

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Fred Meyer Jewelers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love the Customers! Love the Closeness and family feel we are "allowed" to have with them, for now. Making people happy and showing you really do care about them, their families, and want to help them in any way you can, while doing your job and making the company $$$$$.

Cons

they take away or lower our rightful commision.
    they force us to compete with our managers. our managers sales quotas=really goals! are rediculously low. we are not team players we are competitors now, with no leaders, only takers.
    the "quotas" (not sales goals) are usually beyond reach for most employees.
    If you are under 25, and don't make your quotas, you will keep your job anyway, if you are pretty, sexy, hunky, etc. if your over 40, and you don't make your quotas, your a gonner! see ya!
    $1500. deductable for a single person! WHAT!, who can pay that on 30,000. per year! you look forward to employees not ever seeing a doctor! YOU DON"T CARE! SO QUIT ACTING LIKE YOU DO!

Advice to Management

stop being so shameful, treat your employees like human beings, pay them for the work they do, care about their families and situations they need to address, quit threatening them with the quotas, quit being lustful to the younger employees and ditching the older ones! you too will get older someday.....and for god sakes enforce the dress codes, some of the girls dress like lower avenue hookers and sluts! Embarressing to most! I see customers leave our store because of such shameful attire! and you just sit there and stare! UGH

This diamond ring dosent shine for me anymore

I worked at Fred Meyer Jewelers

Pros

Customers are generally happy and glad to be in the store. It's clean and not overly physical. No crazy hours. Diverse

Cons

Uper management makes up goals that middle management achieve through dubious choices.
    Ageist. The long turm reputation of the brand is being sacrificed for short turm gains

Advice to Management

Events are not special, sales are not special, if held too frequently

7. Great company!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Fred Meyer Jewelers

Pros

Part of the Kroger company. Great health dental life and vision benefits. you make an hourly wage plus commission. the company also pays for your schooling to become a certified diamontologist through the DCA.

Cons

Very slow during summer hours so commission isnt great.

I absolutely love helping people find that perfect gift.

I have been working at Fred Meyer Jewelers full-time

Pros

Wages are competitive
    Company values are very high
    the perks are there if you work hard.

Cons

The lack of commission rules and deviations in different areas, say that they need to establish some strict guidelines between associates and managers. It changes almost on a weekly basis, depending on the favoritism in the store.

Advice to Management

If you are the retail manager, adopt some ground rules to minimize having to referee such fights between your thoroughbred salespeople.
    Once the customer walks out, you do not get credit for the sale.
    Close ‘em or lose ‘em – no business cards given to customers to ask for me.
    Never cut in on a sale unless the other person allows it privately first.
    Never mention whose sale it is or commissions in front of a customer or both of you lose credit.
    When a customer asks you to hold something for them, due to lack of inventory, that sale belongs to that salesperson.

9. Poor

Former Employee - Sales Professional in Forney, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Forney, TX

I worked at Fred Meyer Jewelers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of fun with the customers.

Cons

easy schedule to work , benefits not so good. to expensive.

Advice to Management

The same as above.

Worst Company or Maybe Location

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Merrillville, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Merrillville, IN

I have been working at Fred Meyer Jewelers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to sell jewelry to happy couples. You get a great discount and that's about it.

Cons

The new location Manager is completely clueless. He treats his staff like peasants who's sole job is to do his job while he makes sales. They make you "lease line"--soliciting customers from outside of the store--like carnival people. You get in so much trouble with mall security. The store is full of ex-managers of that location, making it hard to make money, or a decent hourly. All they care about is credit...you get more turn downs then approvals, yet sales never improve. Management DOES NOT train its new employees at all...the sales team has to train new employees, sale, and be held accountable, while the manager just stands around. Worst job or maybe location ever!!!! Wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the hanger on ex managers!! If a manager stepped down they shouldn't be at that store. Make the store manager train their own staff! If you hired them, you should train them or we shouldn't be held accountable for running the store, training new sales staff, and making our numbers. Something should give.

They should appreciate their employees

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Fred Meyer Jewelers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They offer training, and insurance for their employees.

Cons

There is no advancement in this company. If you want a raise, it is almost impossible to get. If you want more money, you need to sell their warranties on their jewelry. The quality of the jewelry has gone downhill. They now have glass infused (filled) rubies, which can't be cleaned in an ultra sonic cleaner or even steam cleaned because the filler will separate from the ruby and look cracked. The computer system is old and outdated. You are forced to push their credit. The upper management makes you feel like you don't deserve to have any type of life because you are "working retail".

Advice to Management

Please put yourself in "your sales associates" shoes. Are you able to raise a family on what you are paying them? I'd like for them to try and live on what they are paying us. It is really a joke.

RSS Feed </> Embed