Fred Meyer Jewelers

Great people, great company

Current Employee - Sales Professional  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in Portland, OR

I have been working at Fred Meyer Jewelers full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very progressive company that is always doing good things for customers and associates. They teach you how to sell jewelry and give you great priced products to sell.

Cons

Retail hours can be challenging but there is flexibility.

Horrible leadership

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager

I worked at Fred Meyer Jewelers full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get a paycheck, good discounts

Cons

Pay, expectations, lack of celebration when achieving goals.

Quit

Not even a good part time job!

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Fred Meyer Jewelers full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Kroger benefits medical & dental.

Cons

Untrained management with little training. Company philosophy made by a grocery store attitude . Erratic schedules make any kind of life outside work impossible. The quality of jewelry sold is bottom of the barrel. Cheaper by the day and proud of it! Expect to be threatened and treated like a criminal whenever corporate plays their blame game.

Finally admit the low bid POS system you purchased is an utter failure. Hire some people with personal integrity.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's been sad to watch the progression from a great company, to terrible company.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Fred Meyer Jewelers

Pros

Decent pay, rewarding customer interactions

Cons

Long hours, stress, high sales increases, no career advancement, poor bonus structure. High turnover because associates are minimally compensated. Operational disfunction, you would think this is a sales oriented business... You could've fooled me.

"Leadership" needs to actually work in a store for a few months to see what the challenges stores actually face are.The direction of the company is changing. Used to be a fun encouraging, motivating, and rewarding place to work. Leadership changes have been frequent, which leaves them listening to anyones suggestions to try to be profitable. The company will never be profitable without good people. Confused on if they want to serve 30 dollar customer or 3000 dollar customer. Poor commission structure for associates and management. Leadership lies and pretend they want to hear your feedback and suggestions. But in reality they don't. The more you speak up the less your liked. Typical politics. The company is so confused one minute they are going right, the next they are going left. A sign of poor leadership, and a bunch of people sitting in an office that haven't worked in a store in since sterling silver was sellable. They could easily ask their parent store Kroger for assistance but are to afraid to lose control.

Regional Supervisor

I have been working at Fred Meyer Jewelers full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company has many opportunities for training and culture.

Cons

The company could do a better job promoting the right candidate for the job not the favorite person. They are not an equal opportunity place to work.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Fred Meyer Jewelers

Pros

The fact that they are owned by Kroger is a plus. That enables Fred Meyer Jewelers to price their jewelry competitively.

Cons

I would not recommend this job to anyone. At my location the turnover was extremely high. From working with the individuals that came and went I believe that the poor management would be the cause of this. Management has no HR skills,or the ability to develop a interpersonal relationships. She is verbally abusive to associates in front of customers and other associates.There was zero leadership, and very little training making it very difficult to succeed. Another challenge is that the manager is in direct competition with her subordinates for sales. That, combined with the fact that your sales goals and previous sales can and will be altered consistently at the mangers discretion is sure to limit your success rather than fuel it.

Don't put unqualified people in leadership positions just because they can sell.

Could be a fun and profitable place to work.

Former Employee - Sales Professional  in  Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Fred Meyer Jewelers full-time for less than a year

Pros

Base pay is better than most retail. Advancement is possible. Kroger company benefits are excellent. Hours is the market place store are better than mall hours.

Cons

Very little training. The computer system is very old fashioned. Checking in new merchandise and repair takes much longer than it should. I know there is much better technology out there.

Manager belittled employees. Sometime an excellent sales person does not make an excellent manager. Manager had little to no HR training and made hurtful comments to employees.
    Advertising of the market place stores doesn't include the jewelry store. Jewelry is hidden in the corner.

Bring back the fun times

Current Employee - Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Fred Meyer Jewelers full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Making customers happy. Merchandise is getting better. Great credit options for customers.

Cons

Being scrutinized at least once a week by my boss who has not spend more than 4 hours in my store over the past 12 months. Even if you make sales plan he has something to complain about.

Today I wanted to tell my boss about $10k sale we had. But after about 15 seconds of that he lectured me for 20 minutes about "what am I doing next and tell me why I don't have stronger measurables."
    Yes by the way I made my sales plan! (a week early)but some how I still didn't work hard enough.
    Is this the culture Kroger wants in there establishment?

No Training.

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at Fred Meyer Jewelers full-time for less than a year

Pros

Full time positions available.
    Company pays decent for retail.
    Commission on every sale.

Cons

High sales goals.
    No training.
    Very poor leadership.

Came into the company with no jewelry sales experience. The manager and assistant manager said they were willing to train me on how to sell. Once I started they realized they had no time to train and just threw me in. They expected me to make large sales alone within a week of employment. I was released from my position because I was unable to meet the sales goals due to my lack of knowledge on how to pressure people into buying.

Poor managers will always have a high turnover rate.

Amazing people to work with, company takes care of their people, but with some unrealistic goals.

Former Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Merrillville, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Merrillville, IN

I worked at Fred Meyer Jewelers part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great almost-family like atmosphere, the company really cares about their workers, great discount, company also provides plenty of education opportunities.

Cons

Unfortunately, sometimes the goals were just unrealistic with the traffic and the recession. Everyone on my team worked hard, and when it's consistently not enough upper management uses scare tactics. It's not effective with the atmosphere they create with their employees.

More realistic goals. Also, the buyers seem to be really going for more of a low class buying range, there were days we took in more repairs than sales. Need to buy higher quality items.

Worked for Fred Meyer Jewelers? Contribute to the Community!