Fred Meyer Reviews

Reset
3.3
Fred Meyer President Lynn Gust
Lynn Gust

Pros
  • Company offers good benefits for their employees (in 21 reviews)

• flexible hours, people are fun to work with (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Few full time positions available (in 13 reviews)

• upper management not well organized (in 13 reviews)

1. Great People and Challenging Work

Current Employee - Fuel Clerk in Cornelius, OR
    Current Employee - Fuel Clerk in Cornelius, OR

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've had a good experience working at Fred Meyer -- my coworkers were welcoming and management encouraged me to do my best. Everyone is treated well and our location has plenty of work to go around. The company seems to have better employee benefits than its competitors.

Cons

Problems can sometimes take a while to resolve.

2. Great people who care about their work

Current Employee - Project Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are positive and encouraging to each other. Great company culture. Work life balance is highly valued and respected.

Cons

Restructuring has been handled poorly. Management seems lost and unreachable. Yet this has not hurt employee moral. Unsure if career development is available

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, they are your best asset and they care about the work they are producing.

3. Happy but overwhelming at times

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fun but hard work. Passionate about their people and results. Good benefits, tuition reimbursement, encourages opportunities for personal growth and promotes from within.

Cons

Too many programs to enforce that are created by people who may have never worked retail and may not realize the difficulty in enforcing them within the store. Promotions are met with constant movement of store locations in efforts to create more experience but at the cost of work-life balance.

5. Bakery clerk

Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Portland, OR

I worked at Fred Meyer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked with great people. Very lenient place of work not a lot of task to do inside of bakery. Theres no breathing down your back when working and you can enjoy some freedom. The only thing is they care about customer service so much!

Cons

NO hours, low pay, lonely, unhealthy ingriedients.

6. Overall good work experience.

Former Employee - Apparel Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Apparel Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Fred Meyer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Fred Meyer while I was finishing school, they were always willing to work around my school schedule.
    I always felt comfortable going to management with any issues that may have arisen.

Cons

The work environment could get stressful, I remember never having enough staff for a lot of the time. You would be expected to complete a great deal of work on your own, that was difficult.

Advice to Management

I see the inappropriate staffing as something that could be worked on for the management team.

7. Ok for the part timer

Current Employee - Cashier in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Cashier in Portland, OR

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great place once to be loyal to, a lot depends on your management by location , but full time hours are hard to come by if not impossible. Favoritism is frequent , and there's not much room at the top. Go with s Union store for sure. Just leaving for personal growth but it's been a pretty good cumulative 7.5 years.

Cons

Favoritism, no consistency in schedules, increasingly resistant to flexibility with students.

Advice to Management

Be consistent- allow for more full time, promote on merit AND seniority.

8. Pending on your department & position...

Current Employee - Cake Decorator in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Cake Decorator in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fair insurance
    Flexible schedules
    Competitive retail wadges

Cons

Fred Meyer is becoming a corrupt company to work for. The people they promote are idiots who only care about making themselves look good. I used to be a manager for one of their departments. Upper management doesn't understand the inner workings of nearly any of their service departments yet expects unrealistic expectations (which were set by people who don't work in the service departments). Everything is a numbers game to them and they seem to forget all too often that the people who work for the company are actually human.

Advice to Management

Promote people who actually demonstrate fantastic work ethic and know the inner workings of all service departments. Stop promoting people who pretend to know what they're doing and schmooze themselves into "the guys club". The rest of us are sick of watching poor employees get promoted. If you actually showed better opportunities and pay for people that want to move up in the company then more of us skilled employees would apply.

9. so so

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Fred Meyer (More than a year)

Pros

benefits are good, if you stay with the company long enough

Cons

culture is poor. poorly trained management staff, very little room for growth unless you want to be an untrained manager as well...

10. Not Great.

Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Portland, OR

I worked at Fred Meyer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Our union provided us with perks beyond that of other big box stores, we could opt into health insurance and we received slightly more than minimum wage. The culture of the company is very positive, and oriented to customer service. I was once given unpaid time off to go to an out of state wedding.

Cons

Miserable work environment. Communication between employees and management was poor, which bred bitterness and suspicion. We were told we could only wear one brand of slip resistant shoe, which was terribly uncomfortable and expensive considering our wages. My co-workers who had been with the company 15-20+ years were all suffering work related physical injuries of the back, knees, and feet etc. Inept scheduling and unpredictable hours.

Advice to Management

Don't let your desire to please the customer and get better store ratings overtake the importance of your employees.

11. cashier

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newberg, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newberg, OR

I worked at Fred Meyer part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

enjoyed working with customers and some of the coworkers you become a family with some.

Cons

once you have worked for a long period of time as cashier they bring other managment to get you out.

Advice to Management

get to know who you are about what customers like about some of the cashiers and check your work before releasing a very valuable employee

RSS Feed </> Embed