Fred Meyer Reviews

348 reviews filtered by
3.4
Fred Meyer President Lynn Gust
Lynn Gust

Pros
  • they have good benefits and care a lot about their employees (in 21 reviews)

• Flexible hours if you're working part time (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • It's very difficult to get into a full-time situation there (in 13 reviews)

• General neglect for basic store functions and show-boating by upper management (in 13 reviews)

1. It's a great company. You just need to be in the right store.

Current Employee - Ready to Wear Lead in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Ready to Wear Lead in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Fred Meyer

Pros

They are serious about development. They will help you succeed in your career by giving you the tools you need.

Cons

Favoritism and vice versa, hard to get around that sometimes.

Everyone deserves a chance. If people need improvement, help them improve. Don't brush them aside.

2. Enjoyed working here.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh Hills, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh Hills, OR

I worked at Fred Meyer full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Supportive management and HR dept. Good pay, benefits and store discounts. The day managers were always willing to listen to my suggestions and they always let me know that I was doing a good job.

Cons

scheduling seems to always be a problem. No training in the beginning on the computer or phone system. They want you to ask a fellow employee to help you but most of them did not want to be bothered. Excessive product being shipped into the store because of auto order set ups, store managers should be able to have more control over this.

Find an employee or two that are enthusiastic about training and have them spend a minimum amount of time with each new hire. Have store manufacturer reps come in and give talks to sales assoc about their products (the higher end stuff) so assoc have appropriate info to give customer. CEO- let your individual store managers take back some of the decision making regarding their own stores. They know their neighborhoods and customers better than a corp head.

3. great place

I have been working at Fred Meyer

Pros

Help associates out when they need it

Cons

Not much, it's retail and its business

Hard to leave!

Former Employee - HABA Clerk in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - HABA Clerk in Bothell, WA

I worked at Fred Meyer part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company was great, co-workers were polite and motivated, it was a great working environment, pay raises were fair and given after a certain time period had passed.

Cons

In my position, speed was CRITICAL... it could be very, very demanding at times.

The management was great, very considerate and they were always looking out for their employees. Keep it up!!

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Portland, OR

I have been working at Fred Meyer

Pros

Decent pay, great coworkers and a fun place to work. If you work hard then you won't have any issue. Also there is a lot of flexibility with scheduling.

Cons

It's a union job and it can be difficult to get full time hours. A lot of people are stuck working part time. Grocery is definitely the department to be in. It is a lot easier to get hours and it pays the best.

I think that Fred Meyer stores should all go back to non union. It would greatly increase productivity and they could get rid of a lot if the associates who are lazy and dont do there job.

7. Great company

Current Employee - Produce Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Produce Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits and great managers

Cons

None! They trust you to do your job

None! They do a great job

8. No work/life/balance

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR

I worked at Fred Meyer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good if you are a people person. The job was fun.

Cons

The management is terrible. They don't lead by example. Completely ruined the job. They do not care on a personal level at all. Do not deal with changes in school schedules, don't care if you have a family. Worked there for over twenty years. Used to be a good company, horrible now. Management literally does not care. It seems all of the good managers have left the company. It had been years since I had a manager who actually treated me like a human being. Best thing I ever did was quit that job.

Get to know your employees. Encourage them to go to school, or be with their families. Don't tell them to do something you yourself would never do. Don't hold them to rules, you have decided you yourself are above. Don't say work, life, balance if you have no intention of helping your employees to achieve it. Basically, do what most of us learned at a young age, treat others as you would like to be treated. Kindness goes a long way.

9. FM impressions

I worked at Fred Meyer

Pros

excellent stability and opportunity in the region

Cons

Slow moving promotion means tears of drudgery

speed up the process a bit

Friendly company, great people and easy work. A great place to make grocery money, or support yourself through school.

Current Employee - Home Sales Clerk in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Home Sales Clerk in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great, they became my family, The work is very easy and they have a union so your needs are taken care of. They are pretty good about working with your schedule.

Cons

A lot of the people in management don't pay attention to you further than your necessary function in the grand machine. T be fair a lot of the young people there have no ambition and so they treat their employees the way you would if the had no ambition.

My advice: teach everyone in a position of supervising their employees better leadership skills. They should take more of an interest in their employees as people and communicate better.

11. nice people

I have been working at Fred Meyer

Pros

lots of hours, good management

Cons

hours are sporadically scheduled. also, only one person on the job at a time.

speak to each other