Fred Meyer Reviews

Reset
2.0
Fred Meyer President Lynn Gust
Lynn Gust

Pros
  • Company offers good benefits for their employees (in 21 reviews)

• flexible hours, people are fun to work with (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Few full time positions available (in 13 reviews)

• upper management not well organized (in 13 reviews)

1. Apparel Clerk

Former Employee - Apparel Clerk in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Apparel Clerk in Seattle, WA

Pros

Friendly co-workers overall who try to provide good customer service.

Cons

Parent company, Kroger, allows hiring w/o completing hiring process. Then, informs Fred Meyer employee must be fired, not based on actual job performance, but due to their mistake of not completing their own employment process.

Advice to Management

Kroger Mgmt needs to insure Hiring process is completed prior to hiring. This eliminates waste of time for employee and company(s) they own.

2. They dont care

Current Employee - Food Clerk in Astoria, OR
    Current Employee - Food Clerk in Astoria, OR

Pros

Good hours, friendly coworkers, decent pay

Cons

The management didnt care about anyone, they fired people for going to funerals because it "wasnt a valid excuse to miss work"

3. Bottom of the food chain

Former Employee - Parcel in Spokane Valley, WA
    Former Employee - Parcel in Spokane Valley, WA

Pros

Got a good workout everyday

Cons

Awful manager, working in the heat and cold

5. Not the best company but they are working on it....

Former Employee - Section Head in The Dalles, OR
    Former Employee - Section Head in The Dalles, OR

I worked at Fred Meyer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was somewhat competitive but had to make sure that HR was on the same page as what I was offered.

Cons

They don't keep great records of employment; when I was hurt at work they made up lies about my employment with them inserting write ups that never happened. This came out in court; as I had never seen them before and never signed them.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees more and give them the time of day.

If you need a job...

Former Employee - Clerk
    Former Employee - Clerk

I worked at Fred Meyer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a member of a union, my pay was pretty good for a retail position. I really like about half of the managers, while the other half were not very pleasant. The scheduling is pretty flexible when you need time off.

Cons

It is a giant corporation, so expect to feel like you are just a cog in the machine.

Advice to Management

Be positive!

7. Must accepted into the clique to keep job

Former Employee - Overnight Grocery Clerk in Fairbanks, AK
    Former Employee - Overnight Grocery Clerk in Fairbanks, AK

I worked at Fred Meyer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

(Fairbanks, Alaska, Airport Store) Pay (starts at $14.99 hourly with a bump to $20 when they decide you are a "journeyman" overnight grocery clerk), awesome discount that stacks with coupons, weekly pay, cool crew other than PIC and clique, nice break room , decent benefits when you get them after 6 months, I enjoyed constantly being in motion lifting things and stocking shelves, you can bring your own music and blare it on a stereo or listen on earbuds

Cons

For overnight grocery clerk, you start your shift at midnight and always end up working overtime because they are so short handed. That being said, there is a little clique that decides who is worthy of getting the highest paying hourly job in the store, and they brag about how they get rid of people. 3 of us were hired, and despite doing our job decently for being thrown in with no training and basically being told we're stupid, all 3 of us were gone within a month.The PIC (person in charge) runs the entire night crew for the whole sales floor (from what I could tell) and screws people over by cutting their hours or sending them to other departments (Grocery starts at $14.99 because they are union, the other departments top out at $12 and some change because they aren't union). My defining moment was when the PIC cornered me and told me I had needed to find another job, I was killing the crew, and they were better off without me (despite when I wasn't being made the trash gopher I was able to get my assigned aisle done at the same time as everyone else) only a week after telling me how they were glad she was that they were getting rid of one of the other new guys. This is the tip of the iceberg, but my name was taken off of the schedule that night and so my story there ended after 3 weeks.

Advice to Management

She might've been there for 20 years, but it might be time to reign in the PIC a little bit. The turnover on the night crew is for a reason. When it's a bragging point about how people are chased off, it's a problem.....

8. Not Great.

Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Portland, OR

I worked at Fred Meyer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Our union provided us with perks beyond that of other big box stores, we could opt into health insurance and we received slightly more than minimum wage. The culture of the company is very positive, and oriented to customer service. I was once given unpaid time off to go to an out of state wedding.

Cons

Miserable work environment. Communication between employees and management was poor, which bred bitterness and suspicion. We were told we could only wear one brand of slip resistant shoe, which was terribly uncomfortable and expensive considering our wages. My co-workers who had been with the company 15-20+ years were all suffering work related physical injuries of the back, knees, and feet etc. Inept scheduling and unpredictable hours.

Advice to Management

Don't let your desire to please the customer and get better store ratings overtake the importance of your employees.

9. apparel management

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time

Pros

Each store is a different experience. Some managers challenge you to learn and can be very helpful.

Cons

Poor training. Schedules are all over the place making balance difficult.

Advice to Management

Find a training program for managers to learn how to work with associates

10. Good for short term, but not recommend long term

Former Employee - Cashier in North Marysville, WA
    Former Employee - Cashier in North Marysville, WA

I worked at Fred Meyer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Welcoming environment, Flexible hours, promotions to other positions within the store, decent employee discount program, relaxed dress code, occasional work party or social event.

Cons

Not very full time friendly, Seniority in a position is not given much consideration, lack of training as well as on the job expectations, very corporate minded does not care much for the individual employee, starting pay is not very high for the industry

Advice to Management

Put more focus on training and expectations, as well as more consideration to employees who have given years to the company

Endure retail hell for slightly above the minimum wage!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA

I worked at Fred Meyer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to get your foot in the door, they're always hiring. The union guarantees automatic raises whether it is deserved or not. The union gives some level of protection from unjustifiable termination. Semi-decent starting pay and discounts. Every once in a while they provide lunch as part of employee appreciation. Cleaner bathrooms than Target, a lot nicer than Wal-Mart.

Cons

Highschool clique mentality on all levels. Inadequate training and sometimes very hazardous work environment. Expect consistent bullying and harassment from certain superiors. High-stress environment with several people's workload set on the shoulders of single individual. Many employees just don't bother reporting safety violations to OSHA or report harassment because they will face retaliation. Don't rock the boat if you have serious financial obligations or a family to support. You will endure blatant favoritism and very little chance of promotion. You won't survive long if you're not the butt-kissing type. Some insensitivity to LGTB employees. You must jump hurdles to collect your sick pay. There is unspoken repercussions for missing work for any reason, even serious illness. You will be resented for taking medical leave for illness or injury on or off the job. HR only exists to prevent more lawsuits. Most employees are miserable or just don't care. Some have no choice but to do what it takes to keep their job. If you have a soul and dignity and want to keep it - stay far away!

Advice to Management

Time to purge the ineffective management, stop playing the blame game with the little people, overhaul the current training procedures or lackthereof. Your transgendered employees do not need to "pick one" gender to "imitate" while on the clock. Twisted values will be your eventual undoing. I'd rather be unemployed than have my sanity drained.

RSS Feed </> Embed