Fred Meyer Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
3.5

Fred Meyer President Lynn Gust
Lynn Gust

Pros
  • they have good benefits and care a lot about their employees (in 20 reviews)

• Flexible hours if you're working part time (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • It's very difficult to get into a full-time situation there (in 13 reviews)

• General neglect for basic store functions and show-boating by upper management (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

A great place to work!

Former Employee - Assistant Apparel Manager in Juneau, AK
    Former Employee - Assistant Apparel Manager in Juneau, AK

I worked at Fred Meyer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fred Meyer fosters a great in-store culture, promotions are there for people who want to have a career there and compensation is above average. What made it a pleasant work experience is the training that was provided, teamwork among the departments, low turnover and policies that were not only realistic but doable in your daily routine. Also, the Associate Discounts really helped with personal finances:)

Cons

Being retail you'll have be flexible with your work schedule.

Continue building the team from with-in, always revisit policies just to make sure everything is correct.

love the team work and the people

I worked at Fred Meyer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

long hours, but the I love it

Cons

long hours but love the people love my job

great job

I was a cashier

I have been working at Fred Meyer

Pros

they work with your school schedule sometimes

Cons

they don't care about you and lost prevention always makes you feel guilty

Pretty solid job and experience

Former Employee - Pharmacy Intern in Burien, WA
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Intern in Burien, WA

I worked at Fred Meyer part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Plenty of help in the pharmacy, workers are friendly and a close-knit group of people, fast pace.

Cons

It does get busy and the area's customers are pleasant for the most part but some customers you just cannot please.

Great pay for sore feet.

Current Employee - Service Deli in Tualatin, OR
    Current Employee - Service Deli in Tualatin, OR

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is excellent for a part-time unskilled job. Middle management really cares about you. There is a strong feeling of teamwork in this job because it is a very tough job.

Cons

You are always on the go and on your feet. It is almost always busy and you will not find very much downtime to sit around and chat with coworkers. Your feet WILL be sore at the end of your shift.

Hire more employees, we're running a skeleton crew most nights!

Gotta play the game

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Portland, OR

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Almost livable wage if you can make it to journeyman status
    Union-mandated 20 hour week minimum
    Wonderful coworkers
    Benefits after 6 months

Cons

Management often uses intimidation to get people to do work outside job description
    Management is often lazy/disconnected from job they're managing and UNWILLING to learn or listen.
    Pay is barely enough to make ends meet.
    Takes SIX MONTHS for benefits to kick in.
    Stingy on OT, even if department is shorthanded
    Hard to move up if you don't kiss up, regardless of how hard you may work
    Will schedule 10 days in a row frequently
    Unrealistic expectations
    The rules often don't apply to everybody (favoritism)

Anyone in management should have to work the position they're managing for an extended period of time. Get your head out of your &** and start helping. Quit trying to assign blame and do the job you're paid so much more than me to do.

Used to be a very good place to work.

I have been working at Fred Meyer

Pros

Fun environment, good benefits.

Cons

Very stressful at times. Major disconnect with Corp. office.

Be more realistic about the goals you set for your programs.

About what You'd expect in retail, but worse than most

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Federal Way, WA

I worked at Fred Meyer part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most fellow employees are really friendly, if they stick around. Turnover is very high so new faces that just disappear. Discount OK but still cheaper elsewhere, unless on sale.

Cons

Hours/ shifts constantly changing, day by day. Too many chiefs, not enough Indians. If you get along with a boss your a "superstar," but the 1 day your off, and don't come in, your no longer a team player.

Attitude of managers needs to be better. I've witnessed numerous times foul language and threats by senior managers. If they had threatened me with physical violence you'd be short a grocery manager, good thing I quit when I did!

A Disappointing, Disillusioned Employment After Being A Longtime Customer

Former Employee - Seafood Sales Associate in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Seafood Sales Associate in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Fred Meyer part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly Sales Associates Staff and general store Management; received many recognition certificates for cash rewards for the customer service and safety awareness I presented, set hours and compensation for night shift, weekends, holidays and overtime (which was to be avoided if at all possible).

Cons

General attitude of customer base (had to work through it on a regular basis and keep smiling with tips and suggestions, prompt service, etc.); department manager with an attitude and a bias; went through three department managers with attitudes and anger issues in the span of eight months, while a three-person crew for the department covered all shifts, 7 days a week, worked together like a glove without a department manager for a span of two months during that eight months; crew was consistently questioned all during the eight months for low weekly sales numbers but I believe the problem was department's location in the store, its layout and the style of display cases used for fresh product, the same variety of product displayed the same way, seven days a week, with unreasonable prices when competing stores with much more variety and attractive displays were just a couple miles away, for essentially the same price or just a couple dollars more. I worked in the seafood department, that resembled like a shallow cave, almost unnoticeable, tucked in a rear corner behind aisles with high shelves of wine bottles and a maze of displays of fresh bakery products and fresh produce, although next to the meat department. A rather tall glass case that displayed fresh cuts of choice meat and another tall case that displayed fish were installed across the front of the Fresh Fish Department, that gave the cave appearance to the remainder of the fish department behind it. The cases often made it difficult to maintain eye-to-eye contact with customers. Despite two visits by contracted repair personnel, a damaged hose reel persisted in leaking water across most of the department floor almost the entire eight months I worked there, requiring frequent squeegeeing of water to the floor drains. Too bad about all of this, because I became employed I was a very loyal and frequent Fred Meyer customer, now I feel like a longtime disillusioned customer.

Do a much better vetting of manager candidates, and propose changes to seafood department layout, variety of product and pricing. This is Fred Meyer's problem with the seafood department, at least at this store, not the staff. But I recall at some time closer the end of the eight months the grocery manager commented to me that management realizes that the seafood department will always be a loss leader, so I guess such a viewpoint by management suggests that things will not change.

Educational

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Fairbanks, AK
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Fairbanks, AK

I worked at Fred Meyer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like how diverse the people are. No matter what type of person you are you;ll find a friend. Awesome inhouse hiring. Managers are always there to listen.

Cons

Not a lot of ways to move up. Pay is based on hours worked, not on performance. There are other departments to work in but if you're not someone who likes change that can suck.

Stop trying to control every little thing about how we provide customer service. Not everyone loves to be pestered with constant surveys. Give a little wiggle room and let us show you how real people want to be treated.