Fred Meyer

www.fredmeyer.com
Profile Unclaimed

Great pay for sore feet.

Current Employee - Service Deli in Tualatin, OR
    Current Employee - Service Deli in Tualatin, OR

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay is excellent for a part-time unskilled job. Middle management really cares about you. There is a strong feeling of teamwork in this job because it is a very tough job.

Cons

You are always on the go and on your feet. It is almost always busy and you will not find very much downtime to sit around and chat with coworkers. Your feet WILL be sore at the end of your shift.

Hire more employees, we're running a skeleton crew most nights!

Gotta play the game

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Portland, OR

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Almost livable wage if you can make it to journeyman status
    Union-mandated 20 hour week minimum
    Wonderful coworkers
    Benefits after 6 months

Cons

Management often uses intimidation to get people to do work outside job description
    Management is often lazy/disconnected from job they're managing and UNWILLING to learn or listen.
    Pay is barely enough to make ends meet.
    Takes SIX MONTHS for benefits to kick in.
    Stingy on OT, even if department is shorthanded
    Hard to move up if you don't kiss up, regardless of how hard you may work
    Will schedule 10 days in a row frequently
    Unrealistic expectations
    The rules often don't apply to everybody (favoritism)

Anyone in management should have to work the position they're managing for an extended period of time. Get your head out of your &** and start helping. Quit trying to assign blame and do the job you're paid so much more than me to do.

About what You'd expect in retail, but worse than most

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Federal Way, WA

I worked at Fred Meyer part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Most fellow employees are really friendly, if they stick around. Turnover is very high so new faces that just disappear. Discount OK but still cheaper elsewhere, unless on sale.

Cons

Hours/ shifts constantly changing, day by day. Too many chiefs, not enough Indians. If you get along with a boss your a "superstar," but the 1 day your off, and don't come in, your no longer a team player.

Attitude of managers needs to be better. I've witnessed numerous times foul language and threats by senior managers. If they had threatened me with physical violence you'd be short a grocery manager, good thing I quit when I did!

love the team work and the people

I worked at Fred Meyer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

long hours, but the I love it

Cons

long hours but love the people love my job

great job

Pretty solid job and experience

Former Employee - Pharmacy Intern in Burien, WA
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Intern in Burien, WA

I worked at Fred Meyer part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Plenty of help in the pharmacy, workers are friendly and a close-knit group of people, fast pace.

Cons

It does get busy and the area's customers are pleasant for the most part but some customers you just cannot please.

Educational

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Fairbanks, AK
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Fairbanks, AK

I worked at Fred Meyer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like how diverse the people are. No matter what type of person you are you;ll find a friend. Awesome inhouse hiring. Managers are always there to listen.

Cons

Not a lot of ways to move up. Pay is based on hours worked, not on performance. There are other departments to work in but if you're not someone who likes change that can suck.

Stop trying to control every little thing about how we provide customer service. Not everyone loves to be pestered with constant surveys. Give a little wiggle room and let us show you how real people want to be treated.

Many opportunities for working families. Love the medical benefits even when working part time.

Current Employee - Price Changer in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Price Changer in Renton, WA

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I like working here because I enjoy my job. There are many career opportunities. They are a successful company that constantly evolves with the times. We have great benefits including holiday pay, vacation pay, sick leave, special discounts, medical, dental, vision, and stock options.

Cons

Like every business sometimes the wrong people are put in the wrong place and they do not follow the guidelines and the core vision of the company. Treating people right.

Implementing a program where as many fulltime employees will be utilized as possible. Giving people set schedules with two days off in a row for accepting a full time position and more responsibility. It is a win win you get employees who are happy they take care of the business because the company takes care of them.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper's analysis.

I worked at Fred Meyer

Pros

What? Pro? Are you kidding?

Cons

If you are a child of the Devil you are management material. Go for it. You will fit right in. If you are a good person, don’t work at Fred Meyer. You won’t be good anymore. And who writes these ridiculous touchy feely positive blah blah blah reviews about Fred Meyer? Probably Fred Meyer HR Staff. The management culture at Fred Meyer is truly despotic and phony.

Really?

Decent place to work for students, young people, or those with no ambition (deli department clerk)

Current Employee - Deli Clerk
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

During my three years at this company, I faced all the usual frustrations of retail work: a never-ending onslaught of demanding customers, a constant shortage of time for completing tasks, and management incompetence. Those are not "cons," but exactly what you should expect in a retail environment. It's better than working at Walmart, that's for sure. I genuinely believe the company cares about its people. The pay is competitive (but hey, this is a retail business, so don't get your hopes up). There are opportunities for advancement, even for the lowliest employee, providing you show some promise. Generally, time-off requests are honored outside "blackout" periods. My department manager was very flexible about scheduling hours around my school schedule, and I was very satisfied with her as my supervisor.

Cons

I could list several problems I noticed while working here, but they would probably apply to every retail business. My coworkers were, for the most part, lazy do-nothings who only cared about earning their paychecks. People call in sick constantly, simply because they don't feel like working. If you care at all about your work, you will constantly be frustrated as you watch your fellow workers doing a shoddy job or failing to respect the customer. Management can also make your life difficult, as they roll out new programs out of the blue and expect you to be totally on-board, even though they never asked for your input on the project. I watched several promotions that were DOA because nobody bothered to ask those of us on the front line whether it was feasible or what the customers were looking for.

Management should try to solicit employee input on new or radical promotions before committing to a full roll-out. I understand that the company wants to give customers a uniform experience across all locations, since programs like the "taste of Mexico" were a disaster at my store. Also, the store management team must learn not to bounce between aloofness and over-bearing micro-management.

Used to be a very good place to work.

I have been working at Fred Meyer

Pros

Fun environment, good benefits.

Cons

Very stressful at times. Major disconnect with Corp. office.

Be more realistic about the goals you set for your programs.