Fred Meyer

Updated November 2, 2014
3.5

Fred Meyer President Lynn Gust
Lynn Gust

Pros
  • they have good benefits and care a lot about their employees (in 21 reviews)

• Flexible hours if you're working part time (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • It's very difficult to get into a full-time situation there (in 13 reviews)

• General neglect for basic store functions and show-boating by upper management (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Assistant Food Manager in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Food Manager in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good salary, great people to work with. Hours are good. Always have something to do.

Cons

some other employees can be negative.

Be more consistent

Stable job with opportunities for growth or change.

Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoy the people I work with and all of the opportunities available.

Cons

Pay is my department is low.

Work harder on developing employees for management positions.

Fred Meyer is great.

Former Employee - CCK Cashier in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - CCK Cashier in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Fred Meyer part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is good and it doesn't take too long to see a raise. The people make it worth your while.

Cons

Scheduling is a pain, if you need a day off they don't really help to work around it.

The experience changes with the management and coworkers. I've been lucky and had more good than bad.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Full benefits for part-time (25 hours a week). Most managers are flexible with availability for part-time employees. Depending on location, the regular customers are great.

Cons

There is a journeyman pay scale. Once you top out you can no longer get raises. Cost of living increases are not much and not very often.

If you have a good, hardworking employee give them a raise.

Good starting retailer to gain experience, not something I would pursue for a successful future

Current Employee - Associate in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Associate in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Fred Meyer

Pros

Relatively free to work on projects with others. Get to work with customers who are generally nice but can be unfavorable. Overall the compensation is not great and raises are on a hourly benchmark basis.

Cons

The management is not great and is bad at letting employee's know how well they are doing. No priority to grow entry level associates.

Management should reward its employees more and help grow their skills and capabilities. Overall I think there needs to be a higher level of professionalism by the upper management.

Arrogance & Insignificance

I have been working at Fred Meyer

Pros

A place to work and have co-worker friends that support each other.

Cons

Arrogant and self serving managment people.There main interest seams to be in promoting themselves no matter who they step on to get there.
    No cost of living increases. I am payed only 0.40 cents an hour than I was nearly a decade ago. With the cost of insurance, taxes etc. I take home less money now, while the company braggs to us on a regular basis how our hard work keeps increasing there millions in profits. We are the ones making them there profits, not the managers, PIC's etc.. From my experience most of them are very lazy.
    Continual cuts in employees and work hours puts more stress and work on all other employees and we are expected to maintain the work load and managments expectations no matter how insignificate they are. I contiuually here managment people, from store directors to PIC's, talking down customers. Seams to be in complete opposition to the "Customer First" "policy" they talk to us about. Fred Meyer for myself and the majority of my co-workers that I speak with, is a very stressfull place to work.

Pay us a living wage! Treat us as intelligent human beings!

Good place to work

I have been working at Fred Meyer

Pros

Pay is decent for a grocery store
    Management is pretty good about getting you vacation if you request it far enough in advance
    Easy to excel if you work hard

Cons

Hard to get a set schedule
    Difficult to get a full time position at the highest pay grade
    Expect to work holidays and weekends

Many opportunities in the company

Current Employee - Home Sales Clerk in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Home Sales Clerk in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Fred Meyer

Pros

Starting in any department gets your foot in the door to start working your way up. There are five major departments to work at the store level as well as main office operations, logistics/warehouse, and other Kroger affiliated positions. If you are a good worker they will frequently call you in for more hours than you are originally allotted allowing you to gain valuable experience and bonus points with managers. There are around 300 Fred Meyer stores to work at so if you like a change of scenery in the Northwest there's probably a Fred Meyer for you to work at.

Cons

Not enough constructive feedback from some managers. Frequent manager shifts so don't get used to a particular one. The only way to move up in the company is to work at different stores so in store promotions are generally not allowed. Zones can often times be large so Zone 2 is southwest Washington and some of Portland while Zone 1 is the greater Portland area. Other zones are even larger like the Idaho/Utah or Alaska regions.

More access is needed for recent college grads both in store and in the main office. Talent is being wasted by putting this people in general PIC positions. They need to be the future of the company and while it is important to get the experience of the lower branches down they also need to be recruited for furthering themselves throughout the company.

Well... it pays, right?

Former Employee - Parcel in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Parcel in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Fred Meyer

Pros

Well, it pays...There's not much good to say about Freddie's.

Cons

Day after day after day, an employee can work her ass off and get very little recognition. Good luck trying to advance, too- if you get hired right before another employee's family member you're going to sit behind him your entire life.

Also, don't plan on getting injured-- the workman's comp system is carefully designed to make sure you lose your job as soon as they know you can't sue.

Keep the low employees in mind. Yeah, they're easily replaceable, but they're the heart of your company.