Fred Pryor Seminars Reviews

Updated March 19, 2015
14 reviews filtered by
2.5
CEO

1. Great place to work assuming you are with the "it" crowd.

Former Employee - Department Management in Mission, KS
    Former Employee - Department Management in Mission, KS

I worked at Fred Pryor Seminars full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The senior management team is intelligent and will help you reach your goals if you show interest in going to the next level. Their overall benefits are right in line with other medium size companies. Promotions tend to be given to those who work hard and exceed beyond expectations.

Cons

What throws FPS under the buss is their office environment. Lots of gossip, senior management is very political. If you are not in the "it" crowd then you can plan on having a very short career with FPS. Unfortunately, the "quiet" or not as social hard workers do not get recognized. They become outcasts and will either leave due to rumors about them or they will be fired on the spot for some bogus reason.

Advice to Management

Drop the politics. It would easily be a 4 or 5 star place to work if you all weren't so judgmental on peoples appearance or even the way they talk. If you do talk down about a person, think about keeping it out of the bathroom, break room, or close your office door- everyone can hear- the place isn't exactly sound proof.

2. Independent Contract Trainer - Tough Gig!

Former Contractor - Independent Contractor
    Former Contractor - Independent Contractor

I worked at Fred Pryor Seminars as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Standing in front of a room full of people looking at you as the expert is awesome!

Cons

One bad word, one wrong phrase, out of date product, and your commission is sunk.

Advice to Management

Update the content and delivery method of the back of the room sales material.

3. They are the worst!

Former Employee - Trainer
    Former Employee - Trainer

I worked at Fred Pryor Seminars full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There no PROs other than you get to see parts of the country you may have never seen, and it was cool to drive different rental cars every week. It's also good to practice and develops your public speaking skills before leave them to begin your own seminar business.

Cons

Teaching seminars for Fred Pryor is extremely difficult, stressful, and unrewarding. While they may express concern about your public speaking abilities, they are truly only interested in how well you can sell their 3rd rate products while in class. If you can’t sell products, you will not earn the measly 7% commission, and they will fire you. If you make it to the training at their headquarters you will be charged a training fee, and you must pay all your travel expenses. At the training, you will not be trained on how to present your courses, but instead it will be 3 days of learning how to sell their products. They only pay $200 for the day & a $40 per diem to help cover your food costs, but when you add up the amount of time you spend away from home and your travelling, it breaks down to about $6 an hour.
    I made a fortune working for them because I used to collect business cards from my seminar participants, then follow-up with them to present my own trainings on-site at their company. This was a well deserved karma for Fred Pryor, because one time a company personally requested me to present a program for them, and because the flight was too expensive, Fred Pryor sent another instructor who lived closer to their site, and lied to the company telling them I quit and was no longer available.
    They finally let me go once they discovered (like every other instructor), I was working for ALL of their competition. (Career Track, National, AMA, Padget-Thompson) It was the only way we instructors could afford to feed our families.

Advice to Management

The business had been dying a slow death for the past several years, simply because the instructors are not performing at peak because they are burned-out and under paid. And the customers are bored with the upselling!!

"Contract Trainer" is a misnomer. You are a sales representative.

Former Contractor - Contract Trainer in Mission Hills, KS
    Former Contractor - Contract Trainer in Mission Hills, KS

I worked at Fred Pryor Seminars as a contractor

Pros

The travel can be a lot of fun. I've seen all kinds of places I wouldn't have seen otherwise and enjoyed time with far-flung friends and family around the U.S. Teaching the seminars and meeting all kinds of wonderful people who attend them is great, as is giving them something valuable.

Cons

Unless you're teaching Microsoft Excel, you'll have a hard time making any meaningful money. You have to push a lot of products that are of dubious value to people who were sent to the seminar by their employers. The idea of spending another Ben Franklin or two on a bunch of audio CDs is typically not part of their plan. You have to be willing to devote the lion's share of your energy and work to getting them to buy something you're really not sure they need or can afford.

Advice to Management

The tone of communication to the trainers always has a sense of putting them in their place. Stories about successful sales are always passed along, but I never saw an email go out to everyone that was only about the experience an attendee had at the seminar.

6. Telemarketing, pure and simple!

Former Employee - Training Consultant in Mission, KS

I worked at Fred Pryor Seminars full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible business hours. The people working the phones are great and very helpful.

Cons

Management, especially team leads treat employees like they are in grade school. Employees are minions to these folks who think that they are better than everyone else. Pay is terrible, technology is the worst I have seen.

Advice to Management

Get 21st century equipment. Humble yourselves; employees deserve to be treated with respect along with everyone else.

7. Great co-workers, average pay

Current Employee - Art Director in Mission, KS
    Current Employee - Art Director in Mission, KS

I have been working at Fred Pryor Seminars full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm on staff and not a trainer- the best part of my job is my co-workers. Very sharp, smart group that I work with and it's a pleasure to be part of a great team. My manager is terrific and they are very flexible with my hours - which is valuable to me right now

Cons

The main con there is the average pay. But- I truly factor in the fact that they are so cool about taking time off and me working from home. Pretty great.

8. Depends on the department

Current Employee - Operations in Mission, KS
    Current Employee - Operations in Mission, KS

I have been working at Fred Pryor Seminars full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great paid time off program. Relaxed environment, flexible work hours. Doing a great job as a company promoting continues education for adults.

Cons

Below average pay. Average benefit.

9. Consultant

Current Contractor - Training Consultant in Kansas City, MO
    Current Contractor - Training Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Fred Pryor Seminars as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance as no work really

Cons

Scam for all concerned - trainers drive hours between cities - given cheap hotels and terrible conditions. Charged to be trained when there is no training.

Advice to Management

Employees not only do not like you - they love getting together to talk about how evil you are and how cheap you are.

Horrible Workplace

Former Employee - Training Consultant in Mission, KS

I worked at Fred Pryor Seminars full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance. Otherwise, I have nothing good to say about this joke of a company.

Cons

They will hire just about anyone. They pose as a respectable company, but my co workers had neck tattoos, and some did not own a suit let alone any business casual clothes. The managers treat the employees like grade schoolers. They make the job sound like a "consulting" position, when in reality it's just telemarketing. Extremely high turnover rate, bc no respectable professional would actually work there. No room or possibilities for advancement, manager told me they haven't given anyone a raise in a decade. They do shady things with customer information, over charge, and do anything and everything they can to not refund unhappy customers. This place is a joke, a scam, and a rip off..

Advice to Management

Your employees don't like you.

11. Fun place

Current Employee - Training Consultant in Mission, KS
    Current Employee - Training Consultant in Mission, KS

I have been working at Fred Pryor Seminars full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The sales staff have fun and are willing to help one another out. Lots of reasons for big lunches

Cons

They are changing right now and are in pure growth mode. It makes it hard for new folks to understand their role.

Advice to Management

Keep offering the help you do and the company will more successful tomorrow than it is today.