Fred Pryor Seminars

Updated October 24, 2014
Updated October 24, 2014
2.5

CEO

"Contract Trainer" is a misnomer. You are a sales representative.

Former Employee - Contract Trainer in Mission Hills, KS
    Former Employee - Contract Trainer in Mission Hills, KS

I worked at Fred Pryor Seminars as a contractor

Pros

The travel can be a lot of fun. I've seen all kinds of places I wouldn't have seen otherwise and enjoyed time with far-flung friends and family around the U.S. Teaching the seminars and meeting all kinds of wonderful people who attend them is great, as is giving them something valuable.

Cons

Unless you're teaching Microsoft Excel, you'll have a hard time making any meaningful money. You have to push a lot of products that are of dubious value to people who were sent to the seminar by their employers. The idea of spending another Ben Franklin or two on a bunch of audio CDs is typically not part of their plan. You have to be willing to devote the lion's share of your energy and work to getting them to buy something you're really not sure they need or can afford.

The tone of communication to the trainers always has a sense of putting them in their place. Stories about successful sales are always passed along, but I never saw an email go out to everyone that was only about the experience an attendee had at the seminar.

They are the worst!

Former Employee - Trainer
    Former Employee - Trainer

I worked at Fred Pryor Seminars full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There no PROs other than you get to see parts of the country you may have never seen, and it was cool to drive different rental cars every week. It's also good to practice and develops your public speaking skills before leave them to begin your own seminar business.

Cons

Teaching seminars for Fred Pryor is extremely difficult, stressful, and unrewarding. While they may express concern about your public speaking abilities, they are truly only interested in how well you can sell their 3rd rate products while in class. If you can’t sell products, you will not earn the measly 7% commission, and they will fire you. If you make it to the training at their headquarters you will be charged a training fee, and you must pay all your travel expenses. At the training, you will not be trained on how to present your courses, but instead it will be 3 days of learning how to sell their products. They only pay $200 for the day & a $40 per diem to help cover your food costs, but when you add up the amount of time you spend away from home and your travelling, it breaks down to about $6 an hour.
    I made a fortune working for them because I used to collect business cards from my seminar participants, then follow-up with them to present my own trainings on-site at their company. This was a well deserved karma for Fred Pryor, because one time a company personally requested me to present a program for them, and because the flight was too expensive, Fred Pryor sent another instructor who lived closer to their site, and lied to the company telling them I quit and was no longer available.
    They finally let me go once they discovered (like every other instructor), I was working for ALL of their competition. (Career Track, National, AMA, Padget-Thompson) It was the only way we instructors could afford to feed our families.

The business had been dying a slow death for the past several years, simply because the instructors are not performing at peak because they are burned-out and under paid. And the customers are bored with the upselling!!

Telemarketing, pure and simple!

Former Employee - Training Consultant in Mission, KS

I worked at Fred Pryor Seminars full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible business hours. The people working the phones are great and very helpful.

Cons

Management, especially team leads treat employees like they are in grade school. Employees are minions to these folks who think that they are better than everyone else. Pay is terrible, technology is the worst I have seen.

Get 21st century equipment. Humble yourselves; employees deserve to be treated with respect along with everyone else.

Great co-workers, average pay

Current Employee - Art Director in Mission, KS
    Current Employee - Art Director in Mission, KS

I have been working at Fred Pryor Seminars full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm on staff and not a trainer- the best part of my job is my co-workers. Very sharp, smart group that I work with and it's a pleasure to be part of a great team. My manager is terrific and they are very flexible with my hours - which is valuable to me right now

Cons

The main con there is the average pay. But- I truly factor in the fact that they are so cool about taking time off and me working from home. Pretty great.

Depends on the department

Current Employee - Operations in Mission, KS
    Current Employee - Operations in Mission, KS

I have been working at Fred Pryor Seminars full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great paid time off program. Relaxed environment, flexible work hours. Doing a great job as a company promoting continues education for adults.

Cons

Below average pay. Average benefit.

Consultant

Current Employee - Training Consultant in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Training Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Fred Pryor Seminars as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance as no work really

Cons

Scam for all concerned - trainers drive hours between cities - given cheap hotels and terrible conditions. Charged to be trained when there is no training.

Employees not only do not like you - they love getting together to talk about how evil you are and how cheap you are.

Horrible Workplace

Former Employee - Training Consultant in Mission, KS

I worked at Fred Pryor Seminars full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work/life balance. Otherwise, I have nothing good to say about this joke of a company.

Cons

They will hire just about anyone. They pose as a respectable company, but my co workers had neck tattoos, and some did not own a suit let alone any business casual clothes. The managers treat the employees like grade schoolers. They make the job sound like a "consulting" position, when in reality it's just telemarketing. Extremely high turnover rate, bc no respectable professional would actually work there. No room or possibilities for advancement, manager told me they haven't given anyone a raise in a decade. They do shady things with customer information, over charge, and do anything and everything they can to not refund unhappy customers. This place is a joke, a scam, and a rip off..

Your employees don't like you.

Fun place

Current Employee - Training Consultant in Mission, KS
    Current Employee - Training Consultant in Mission, KS

I have been working at Fred Pryor Seminars full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The sales staff have fun and are willing to help one another out. Lots of reasons for big lunches

Cons

They are changing right now and are in pure growth mode. It makes it hard for new folks to understand their role.

Keep offering the help you do and the company will more successful tomorrow than it is today.

Sales Dept is nothing but a tele-marketer. Under paid, over manager no room for advancement.

Former Employee - Training Consultant in Mission, KS

I worked at Fred Pryor Seminars full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good health insurance and dental insurance.

Cons

Nothing but phone work. Totally over manager by treating you like a grade schooler. They read your emails, listen on your phone calls. Even told not go get water or bathroom from 1:00 - 2:00. Only favorites get good territory. Bad territory goes to the oldest in the training class.

Make realistic goals and territory equal. Try loosening the money belt - get some 20th century equipment.

OK, lots of problems

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Mission, KS
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Mission, KS

I worked at Fred Pryor Seminars

Pros

Accrued paid time off, awesome HR department, good insurance and health savings plan, good location, pleasant co-workers, occasional fun activities for company

Cons

low salary, reviews weren't constructive, out-dated email system and technology, management not willing to listen to ideas for new initiatives, would rather focus on copying competitors than creating new programs.

Listen to employees' ideas and seriously consider them. Update from LotusNotes to something created in the last 15 years. Buy new technology for employees who need it.