Freddie Mac

Freddie Mac Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Freddie Mac CEO Donald H. Layton

Donald H. Layton

Pros
  • Freddie continues to offer a favorable work/life balance environment (in 55 reviews)

• Great benefits but work-life balance depends on the area you work in (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is currently under conservatorship and company future is uncertain (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management is always changing and the room for growth seems to be diminishing (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to retire but not so good if you would like to make top $$$

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsGood benefits. Good work life balance.

ConsToo many re-orgs and frequent changes of the manager. The salary is not great.

Freddie Mac

Performance Reporting Analyst (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsGreat environment, flexible work schedule, knowledgeable peer and management, always informed of program, very informative, enjoyable work environment, great benefits, great location.

ConsI really can not say that there are too many cons from my perspective other than the lack of availability for promotions. I have gone above and beyond in my position and and have not been promoted or compensated accordingly.

Frequent change

ProsPeople are great to work with. Good location. If you are a self starter, proactive and a hard worker you will learn alot & will have alot of career options.

ConsAt this point in time, there is very little 'work life balance'. If that's what you are looking for right now, this is not the place for you....high stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management is viewed as 'uncaring' and is not engaged or aware of worloads. The expectation is staff will do what it takes to get the job done, regardless of how 'burned out' the employee or team is.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work ....Not a great to grow and learn.

ProsWork Life Balance
    Stability
    Training Opportunities
    Efforts of executive management towards establishing winning culture

ConsCompensation
    Red Tape
    Directors are biggest bottlenecks and are lot of the new ones are hired based on their past titles rather than the skill required for the job

Advice to Senior ManagementCannot make culture change when there senior management (directors and officers) are not ready to adapt to it and they are the ones who like spoon-feeding, preferential treatment etc

Change for change

ProsFreddie Mac has some of the most smartest employees around so you will learn a lot. Salary is very fair, and benefits are competitive.

ConsTons of reorgs, layoffs without notification to other supporting groups. Obviously since there is external pressure for most of the change, it could be handled a bit more with care.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the new policy for internal job application. Now, when you decided to apply for another position in the company, your manager is immediately notified. Depending on your current manager, it may dissuade you from moving around internally.

Interesting

Team Lead (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsGood amount of vacation weeks available.

ConsManagement who are poor with managing people and in management positions despite not having knowledge or understanding of the job of their staff.

Asset Management

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsGood co-workers. Company has many avenues for advancment and further development.

ConsUncertainity with the future of the company

I enjoyed working for Freddie Mac

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFor me, overall working for Freddie Mac was a good experience. The company has good benefits, good training and growth opportunities. My colleagues were good and fun to work with.

ConsEmployees of Freddie Mac at times have very low morale and engagement levels because of rampant re-organizations. Uncertainty about the future of the company also impacts employee morale.Like any other organization, the pros and cons vary between different departments of the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove accountability, and reduce number of re-organizations.

Overloaded

Director (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsGreat training opportunities
    Great community support
    Nice employees
    Smart employees
    Good career opportunities

ConsMiddle management is completely overloaded
    Culture in transition from what it was in its hay day to a mad dash for results with minimal planning.
    Leadership views employees as incompetent because they can't meet the unrealistic expectations.
    4 reorganizations in the 6 months I worked there. 3 more in the 5 months since I left.
    Lots of layoffs occurring which creates unstable employment environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush hard for results ... it is required; however, establish realistic expectations. Check in on your middle management to see how they are. Care about them and help them manage their stress. You need them to be engaged.

Unstable but good benefis

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) McLean, VA

Prosbenefits are great. people are great

ConsUnstable environment. once you are in, you hardly get a raise; so negotiate before entering

Advice to Senior ManagementStop reducing cost for selfish gain

Worked for Freddie Mac? Contribute to the Community!