Frederick County Public Schools Reviews

Linda D. Burgee

1. FCPS Review

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Frederick, MD

I worked at Frederick County Public Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My 10 years' experience with FCPS was positive. I met many life-long friends and colleagues there. I would recommend anyone coming out of college to consider FCPS as an employer.

Cons

None that I can think of at this time.

Advice to Management

I have been away from FCPS to offer any advice. My last year with FCPS was 1998.

2. Surrounded by some of the most caring and compassionate people

Current Employee - Support Staff in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Support Staff in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Frederick County Public Schools

Pros

I love working with the people here. They are truly the only reason worth working for FCPS. The benefits are also pretty fantastic.

Cons

The salary is dismal for the amount of time spent on the job and duties responsible for.

Advice to Management

It's difficult to give advice to management since this most of the cons are a direct result of budget and funding. However, if it were possible, salaries need to be increased especially since neighbouring counties pay significantly more starting out.

3. Good County for Part Time Job

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Frederick County Public Schools part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to use sub management website allows you to book jobs well in advance, most teachers and administrations are very welcoming and helpful to subs, and hourly pay is decent for a part-time job.

Cons

Substitutes do not receive good benefits and are not considered "internal" employees. Subbing does not give you a "leg up" for other jobs within the county.

5. Great people trapped in a self deafeating system.

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Frederick County Public Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The quality of people that are co-workers and immediate bosses are of the highest caliber of people I have ever met.

Cons

Pay is well below what it should be Very Weak Teacher's Union Public School System being ran like a business.

Advice to Management

Treat your principles and teacher like human beings and not robots. Please Stop forcing meetings and unreasonable expectations on your employees with little or no reward. Dwindling benefits and lack of pay causes quality of instruction to fall and job satisfaction to be non-existent. What you are doing currently is not working. Try anything else.

6. Overall, a good experience despite not getting step raises for several years

Current Employee - Teacher in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Frederick County Public Schools part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work environment (depending on the school); Opportunities for professional development; Great communities, students and parents; 10 month work schedule

Cons

Bureaucracy- Paperwork and hoops to jump through that aren't really beneficial

7. Substitute Teacher

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Frederick County Public Schools part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility in work schedule, free time during day

Cons

Some student populations are unruly and some lesson plans are faulty

Advice to Management

Either allow substitute teachers with multiple years of service to have a rate increase or acquire benefits.

8. Shoestring budget gets lots of bang for the buck

Current Employee - Teacher in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Frederick County Public Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many motivated employees and excellent teachers. A few outstanding administrators. Well-respected by other counties in the state of Maryland. Forward-thinking and often cutting edge initiatives.

Cons

Budgets are a constant concern, with a largely conservative board of county commissioners holding the purse strings. Every year, teachers attend board meetings with their hats in hand begging for minimal raises. At the moment, FCPS pays the 4th lowest out of 24 school systems in the state. Teachers are expected to "make bricks without straw."

RSS Feed </> Embed