Frederick County Public Schools

Add Photos

Linda D. Burgee

Good Schools to work for

Teacher (Current Employee)

Prosthe amount of support given by curriculum specialists and co-workers

Conssalaries are not that great

"Some Great People, In A Good System, With Bad Politics"

Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsA caring culture of determined hard-working educators. Good benefits. Promotions are available, but it does depend on who you know.

ConsThe politics involving agendas that are sometimes misaligned and not always in the best interest of the students. Some members of the community do not value the services provided by FCPS and are very narrow-minded when considering the costs required to provide a top quality education.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen...

Great Experience

Teacher (Former Employee) Winchester, VA

ProsThe people in the school system really care about the children and work hard to ensure their success and a great education while making school enjoyable.

ConsState funding has kept employees from recieving raises for too many years, making employees search for employment at other school districts

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I found FCPS to be challenging, frustrating, exciting and a learning experience.

Classroom Teacher (Former Employee)

ProsLearning opportunities, such as workshops are available. They are increasing technology in the learning experience, and some colleagues become friends.

ConsI believe that this school system is too focused on their placement in the state ranking.Therefore, the county schools place too much emphasis on constantly testing, and receiving numbers from students that make them look good in a political sense. I believe that the children may suffer from too much pressure from the school system to be "perfect", which I have seen cause depression, anxiety, psychosomatic ailments, and general dislike for school. Learning should be a joy as well as hard work. Many students and teachers, alike, spend a great deal of time "counting-down" to the weekend, and definitely "counting-down" to breaks and vacations. If the focus is to get OUT of a place, then, logic would dictate that being in school is often not enjoyable for students or teachers. I loved school as a child, as an adolescent, and in learning to be a teacher. I did not mind the work, because the learning was fun for me. Our children are so "plugged-in" to the technological world, that they have little or no use for the fundamentals of learning such as discovery, imagination, recreating the past in a meaningful way, doing a science experiment because they "want" to do it, not because they "have" to do it. Learning should involve investigation, and time for a meaningful learning discussion if one comes up in the classroom. The children know if they do not pass this test, or that test, then the teachers will be even harder on them to "get those needed scores". The overachievers will do it. The underachievers will skate by and do the minimum.
    The Special Education students or other students with disabilities or emotional baggage from a difficult home life situation often fall through the cracks. Why can't our children read, write, or do basic math when they get out of school? They were under too much pressure! They are still children, and treated as mini-adults.
    I am a trained school counselor, and I saw so much non-productive learning, so much so that
    I became a counselor to help the children with their issues. I did my internship for FCPS and passed my Master's with flying colors. One would think that this would be the kind of person that Frederick County Schools would want to hire, but no, I was not hired as an experienced teacher and skilled counselor. I suppose my score of a 4.0 in my Master's degree was not acceptable to them. Since, in the end, Frederick County Schools is all about the scores.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry setting aside "your" agenda of meeting scores that the state approves of, and actually visit a classroom and see if it is a fun and exciting place for children to learn. Many children and teachers dreaded going back to school in the fall. I, always LOVED school when I was a child when I went back to school in the fall. I felt my teachers cared about me and not my A's. What kind of learning would happen if there were no scores, but possibly "benchmarks" where the children could reach such a benchmark at their own pace of learning? What if there were no grade levels, but just whatever the next experience in learning the child was ready to do? What if they could ask ALL of their questions, and not be shuffled to the next class? How would a system such as this be created that would not pressure the teachers and students, but make them find a "spark" of interest in learning? Other schools in the USA are doing these things and the children cannot WAIT to find out what they will learn next! Differentiated instruction is a beginning, but I think their needs to be a paradigm shift. If the classroom is a model for the real world, intellectually, emotionally, socially and physically, then the emotional turmoil that some children feel just GOING to school affects them physically and socially and then what happens to their thriving intellect? We may have lost sight of children's developmental stages and are trying to create miniature robots, that can regurgitate facts, figures or other material on excessive and numerous tests to prove to the world that we are the "BEST" county in the state of MD. Yet, I wonder, what did the children learn? What did they actually retain-will they WANT to be life-long learners, or just little machines connected to machines. Even a computer crashes if it is on overload. What about the children? Start by asking if they actually like school!?!

Great people trapped in a self deafeating system.

Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) Frederick, MD

ProsThe quality of people that are co-workers and immediate bosses are of the highest caliber of people I have ever met.

ConsPay is well below what it should be
    Very Weak Teacher's Union
    Public School System being ran like a business.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your principles and teacher like human beings and not robots. Please Stop forcing meetings and unreasonable expectations on your employees with little or no reward. Dwindling benefits and lack of pay causes quality of instruction to fall and job satisfaction to be non-existent. What you are doing currently is not working. Try anything else.

FCPS Review

Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) Frederick, MD

ProsMy 10 years' experience with FCPS was positive. I met many life-long friends and colleagues there. I would recommend anyone coming out of college to consider FCPS as an employer.

ConsNone that I can think of at this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have been away from FCPS to offer any advice. My last year with FCPS was 1998.

Overall, a good experience despite not getting step raises for several years

Teacher (Current Employee) Frederick, MD

ProsGood work environment (depending on the school); Opportunities for professional development; Great communities, students and parents; 10 month work schedule

ConsBureaucracy- Paperwork and hoops to jump through that aren't really beneficial

Current Teacher

ProsAs a parent, it's nice to be off when your kids are out of school which is for he most part the case other than teacher work days.

ConsTeachers don't make the priority list at all and although 5 years ago it was a great place to be, I'm brushing up my résumé to get out of this downward spiral.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost expletives wouldn't be so upset about not getting raises if they didn't continually play this yes/no game and took the time to say "thank you" every now and then. It would also be awesome if they would ask what we need before blowing tons of money things that we'll never use in our classrooms....

Great school district

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPlenty of training and support provided to help students achieve.

ConsWhen a school has not met AYP the administration team takes a micromanagement approach. They actually called themselves the cabinet.

Advice to Senior ManagementMicromanagement does not produce higher test scores.

Former Teacher

Teacher (Former Employee) Winchester, VA

ProsGreat environment, staff, and support!

ConsNo pay raises, budget cuts.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more involved with what teachers are doing in the classroom.

Worked for Frederick County Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!