Frederick County Public Schools Reviews

3.1
Linda D. Burgee

1. Good Schools to work for

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Frederick County Public Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the amount of support given by curriculum specialists and co-workers

Cons

salaries are not that great

2. Surrounded by some of the most caring and compassionate people

Current Employee - Support Staff in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Support Staff in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Frederick County Public Schools

Pros

I love working with the people here. They are truly the only reason worth working for FCPS. The benefits are also pretty fantastic.

Cons

The salary is dismal for the amount of time spent on the job and duties responsible for.

It's difficult to give advice to management since this most of the cons are a direct result of budget and funding. However, if it were possible, salaries need to be increased especially since neighbouring counties pay significantly more starting out.

3. Private School a better option

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Frederick County Public Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved the kids
    I enjoyed working with many of my co-teachers

Cons

Unrealistic expectations
    Human Resources is in a constant state of turmoil
    No creativity allowed in the classroom anymore
    Salary

Take a week to actually experience the life of a teacher (sit in on classes, after school, watch the plannnig and the follow-up) and then consider your recommendations from what will hopefully be a new perspective.
    Stop talking about how kids are our future and how teachers are valuable and translate those words into dollars.
    LISTEN to teachers

5. Good County for Part Time Job

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Frederick County Public Schools part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Easy to use sub management website allows you to book jobs well in advance, most teachers and administrations are very welcoming and helpful to subs, and hourly pay is decent for a part-time job.

Cons

Substitutes do not receive good benefits and are not considered "internal" employees. Subbing does not give you a "leg up" for other jobs within the county.

6. "Some Great People, In A Good System, With Bad Politics"

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Frederick County Public Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A caring culture of determined hard-working educators. Good benefits. Promotions are available, but it does depend on who you know.

Cons

The politics involving agendas that are sometimes misaligned and not always in the best interest of the students. Some members of the community do not value the services provided by FCPS and are very narrow-minded when considering the costs required to provide a top quality education.

Listen...

7. Great Experience

Former Employee - Teacher in Winchester, VA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Winchester, VA

I worked at Frederick County Public Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people in the school system really care about the children and work hard to ensure their success and a great education while making school enjoyable.

Cons

State funding has kept employees from recieving raises for too many years, making employees search for employment at other school districts

I found FCPS to be challenging, frustrating, exciting and a learning experience.

Former Employee - Classroom Teacher
    Former Employee - Classroom Teacher

I worked at Frederick County Public Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Learning opportunities, such as workshops are available. They are increasing technology in the learning experience, and some colleagues become friends.

Cons

I believe that this school system is too focused on their placement in the state ranking.Therefore, the county schools place too much emphasis on constantly testing, and receiving numbers from students that make them look good in a political sense. I believe that the children may suffer from too much pressure from the school system to be "perfect", which I have seen cause depression, anxiety, psychosomatic ailments, and general dislike for school. Learning should be a joy as well as hard work. Many students and teachers, alike, spend a great deal of time "counting-down" to the weekend, and definitely "counting-down" to breaks and vacations. If the focus is to get OUT of a place, then, logic would dictate that being in school is often not enjoyable for students or teachers. I loved school as a child, as an adolescent, and in learning to be a teacher. I did not mind the work, because the learning was fun for me. Our children are so "plugged-in" to the technological world, that they have little or no use for the fundamentals of learning such as discovery, imagination, recreating the past in a meaningful way, doing a science experiment because they "want" to do it, not because they "have" to do it. Learning should involve investigation, and time for a meaningful learning discussion if one comes up in the classroom. The children know if they do not pass this test, or that test, then the teachers will be even harder on them to "get those needed scores". The overachievers will do it. The underachievers will skate by and do the minimum.
    The Special Education students or other students with disabilities or emotional baggage from a difficult home life situation often fall through the cracks. Why can't our children read, write, or do basic math when they get out of school? They were under too much pressure! They are still children, and treated as mini-adults.
    I am a trained school counselor, and I saw so much non-productive learning, so much so that
    I became a counselor to help the children with their issues. I did my internship for FCPS and passed my Master's with flying colors. One would think that this would be the kind of person that Frederick County Schools would want to hire, but no, I was not hired as an experienced teacher and skilled counselor. I suppose my score of a 4.0 in my Master's degree was not acceptable to them. Since, in the end, Frederick County Schools is all about the scores.

Try setting aside "your" agenda of meeting scores that the state approves of, and actually visit a classroom and see if it is a fun and exciting place for children to learn. Many children and teachers dreaded going back to school in the fall. I, always LOVED school when I was a child when I went back to school in the fall. I felt my teachers cared about me and not my A's. What kind of learning would happen if there were no scores, but possibly "benchmarks" where the children could reach such a benchmark at their own pace of learning? What if there were no grade levels, but just whatever the next experience in learning the child was ready to do? What if they could ask ALL of their questions, and not be shuffled to the next class? How would a system such as this be created that would not pressure the teachers and students, but make them find a "spark" of interest in learning? Other schools in the USA are doing these things and the children cannot WAIT to find out what they will learn next! Differentiated instruction is a beginning, but I think their needs to be a paradigm shift. If the classroom is a model for the real world, intellectually, emotionally, socially and physically, then the emotional turmoil that some children feel just GOING to school affects them physically and socially and then what happens to their thriving intellect? We may have lost sight of children's developmental stages and are trying to create miniature robots, that can regurgitate facts, figures or other material on excessive and numerous tests to prove to the world that we are the "BEST" county in the state of MD. Yet, I wonder, what did the children learn? What did they actually retain-will they WANT to be life-long learners, or just little machines connected to machines. Even a computer crashes if it is on overload. What about the children? Start by asking if they actually like school!?!

9. Great people trapped in a self deafeating system.

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Frederick, MD

Pros

The quality of people that are co-workers and immediate bosses are of the highest caliber of people I have ever met.

Cons

Pay is well below what it should be
    Very Weak Teacher's Union
    Public School System being ran like a business.

Treat your principles and teacher like human beings and not robots. Please Stop forcing meetings and unreasonable expectations on your employees with little or no reward. Dwindling benefits and lack of pay causes quality of instruction to fall and job satisfaction to be non-existent. What you are doing currently is not working. Try anything else.

10. FCPS Review

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Frederick, MD

I worked at Frederick County Public Schools full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

My 10 years' experience with FCPS was positive. I met many life-long friends and colleagues there. I would recommend anyone coming out of college to consider FCPS as an employer.

Cons

None that I can think of at this time.

I have been away from FCPS to offer any advice. My last year with FCPS was 1998.

11. Overall, a good experience despite not getting step raises for several years

Current Employee - Teacher in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Teacher in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Frederick County Public Schools part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work environment (depending on the school); Opportunities for professional development; Great communities, students and parents; 10 month work schedule

Cons

Bureaucracy- Paperwork and hoops to jump through that aren't really beneficial