Fredrikson & Byron Reviews

4.2
John M. Koneck

1. Great Place to work

I worked at Fredrikson & Byron full-time

Pros

Great office environment, extremely friendly legal staff and overall excellent co workers.

Cons

None that I can think of

2. Litigation support

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Fredrikson & Byron full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The firm has sound vision and works to communicate this across the organization. There is opportunity for advancement and professional development.

Cons

Law firm is what it is, probably at any firm, and isn't for those who want a work-life balance, especially in the early years.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate organizational goals and strategies. Continue to recognize and incentivize those both timekeepers and support staff who move the organization forward.

3. This place is a very hard place to work.

Former Employee - Receptionist/Office Clerk in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Receptionist/Office Clerk in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Fredrikson & Byron (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Christmas bonus and yearly raises

Cons

Very unappricative employers. A very hard job to say the least. They want a lot from you and sometimes forget that you are in fact an actual human being!!

5. Fredrikson has provided opportunities and support to advance my legal career over many years.

Current Employee - Attorney in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Attorney in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Fredrikson & Byron full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When I was a new attorney, my supervisors (in multiple departments) were excellent. I felt more like a "partner in training" rather than an anonymous workhorse. Flexible: After 2 years I decided I did not want to be an employment attorney. The firm was great, and supported my move to corporate / technology. The firm encouraged and facilitated my getting involved in multiple non-profit boards. Full disclosure: I'm a shareholder now at Fredrikson and have been here for 18 years. So, technically, I"m "management."

Cons

Long-term success at a larger law firm is demanding and hard work. It requires many skill sets in addition to being a smart attorney. I also believe that a growing proportion of very interesting and sophistocated work is being done by in-house legal counsel. And when you are in-house, you can see the fruits of your labor.

6. Do NOT work for the Property Tax Litigation Department!!!!!

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Fredrikson & Byron full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and employee resources

Cons

The attorneys and the paralegal in the Property Tax Department are abusive bullies. Do NOT apply for this position.

Advice to Management

You need to educate the attorneys and paralegal in the Property Tax Department about workplace bullying and incivility. It would behoove you to learn about how much this abusive behavior is costing your business in high turnover. HR needs to give potential employees fair warning about these personalities--its not fair to withhold that information.

It is a financially, well-managed law firm.

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Fredrikson & Byron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They do manage an appropriate level of staffing and services to reasonably respond to client demands.

Cons

Salaries are definitely not the most competitive for non-attorney staff.

Advice to Management

Improve the non-attorney salaries to be more market-competitive. Human Resources needs to improve on hearing and appropriately responding to non-attorney staff concerns.

Good company for an associate

Current Employee - Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Fredrikson & Byron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation, good/friendly culture, lots of mentoring opportunities, good training opportuninies

Cons

Not much negative to say. Heavy workload and disorganized in hiring help

Very nice place to work.

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Large firm with many choices for working in various areas of law. Also with a large firm there are many choices for assignments and opportunities to change areas of legal practive for legal administrative assistants. Reviews are done yearly and feedback is given. Salaries appear to be competitive among the other large law firms in the city. Flexible scheduling is also available and the work enviroment is social and friendly. Also there are not only lots of client services available but also in-house services to assist support staff to allow them to be as efficient as possible.

Cons

Large firm enviroment can be daunting at first and does take time to get used to.

Advice to Management

Nothing.

Excellent culture excellent people!

I have been working at Fredrikson & Byron full-time

Pros

Great people to work with and excellent culture in the work place. The attorneys are very intelligent individuals and value all the different professions that help to make the company tick.

Cons

Law firms tend to move a little slower when it comes to new trends and technology which can help to improve efficiency. However, this is a minor con to the overall greatness of this firm.

RSS Feed </> Embed