Free People

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015
3.3

Meg Hayne

Pros
  • great discount: 40% on regular priced merchandise, a selection of items each month at 60% (in 12 reviews)

• A great 40% discount at urban, fp and anthro (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • It's also incredible to me how much upper management can get away with without being fired (in 11 reviews)

• There are very little actual hours scheduled for sales associates, it is mainly on calls that are rarely used (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

It is a very calm, friendly, creative environment to work in.

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Free People full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's a very creative space.
    People are always willing to help you.
    They want to see you succeed.
    The discounts are great!

Cons

People don't communicate with other departments as much.
    Don't get paid very well.

I was a Stylist for Free People in NYC for about a year.

Former Employee - Stylist
    Former Employee - Stylist

I worked at Free People part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly, happy, responsible people. Management is very on top of things and really helpful. Great work environment.

Cons

Closing the store can sometimes keep you there until 1am.

Senior Stylist

I worked at Free People

Pros

great product and worked on a really good team. Room for growth into higher positions after time.

Cons

high expectations of customer service and sales goals, when pay isn't very high.

Amazing Company discount

Current Employee - Stylist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Stylist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Free People part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice to work in boutique atmosphere,

Cons

their policy regarding on -call hours give an employee a disadvantage for work life balance. you must call in 2 hours prior to start time and if a shift begins at 4 you can not make plans that day. our store manager has no regard to stylist schedule, a work schedule usual done on a thursday for the following week again no option to plan life.. the management team is young and not friendly to guests or "most stylist". you will never know what mood the management team is in when you walk in the door. no team work what so ever!!!

create a team atmosphere. managers come to work and stop complaining about everything they have to do on a daily basis. leave the negativity outside the door and smile and say hello to the stylists working and understand the community in which your working. instead of criticizing stylists with experience in the working world, make that an advantage for the younger managers and stylist to learn from

Great gig if your manager is sane

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Free People full-time (less than a year)

Pros

decent discount, great music and beautiful atmosphere.

Cons

Not as "free" as they claim. Keep in mind this company is corporate owned with very conservative leanings; in complete opposites of what Free People is supposed to represent. Managers are stressed to meet deadlines and if your manager can't handle it things will be tough. Very image conscious, we got in trouble quite often as managers if we used associates on the fb page that weren't up to company standards (i.e. too fat, or too short). I often had to tell associates that they were not dressed aspirationally enough for work that day (even though they only made $9 part time--not easy to buy the wardrobe on no money). Maybe it was just my experience but I have never been so stressed and depressed at a job.

Learn how to balance ideals from corporate with what is actually feasible in reality.

It was a challenging job due to high sales expectations and a lack of payroll. Felt a little underpaid

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Free People

Pros

Free people life style is creative and unique. Great employees and customers.

Cons

The company expects you to get so much done in a day that it takes away from selling and you end up feeling overworked and underpaid

There definitely needs to be more organized training. There's really none for upper managers, because everyone is spread too thin so they don't have time to train you. The company as a whole needs to invest more in their employees if they want to avoid so much turnover, which there's a ton of turnover. The salaries need to be raised in order to be competitive with other retailers

Love my job!

Current Employee - Stylist
    Current Employee - Stylist

I have been working at Free People part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun, creative atmosphere with awesome people. The staff is great and interacting with customers is fun. The employee discount is amazing.

Cons

Sometimes it's a little stressful when busy. The store sizes are small, so it gets crowded easily. Unfriendly shoppers can be a downer.

Great company, poor management

Current Employee - Stylist in Woodmere, OH
    Current Employee - Stylist in Woodmere, OH

I have been working at Free People

Pros

The discount is great. You get 40%off At free people, anthropologie, urban outfitters, without walls, terrain and bhdln. The people you work with are generally very nice. Also the store is so unique and the clothes are beautiful.

Cons

I've been working here since the store even opened and I'm still a stylist . I really loved my job at first until we got a new store manager, who isn't that great. Management picks favorites and rarely promotes within. A stylist gets very few hours as well. There are weeks, even months I never work. An employee can work extremely hard and really love the company and go unnoticed, I've seen this happen multiple times. Which is why there is such high turnover in my store. If you really want to work in the fashion industry I advise you to choose somewhere else to work.

Don't pick favorites and give the employees who work the hardest and really love the company and want to move up the most hours. Also promote within more and don't hire MIT's who have never even worked for the company before

Great if you have another source of income...

I have been working at Free People

Pros

-Fun environment (at times)
    -Decent discount of 40% to all Urban Stores
    -Decent people shop there

Cons

-CLIQUEY
    -Awful payroll expectations
    -AWFUL pay for everyone
    -Expectations that you will never meet
    -They want you to wear current clothes but don't pay you enough to buy them
    -Management sucks, period. Don't expect anything from them but disappointment
    -Don't expect a raise or a promotion anytime soon, they like to lead you on
    -Catty and people will talk behind your back, very high school like

Let Meg know what REALLY goes on at Free People and don't BS her with how "magical" things always are. Oh and Meg, your responses look like you couldn't care less.

Eh

I worked at Free People

Pros

Can be good if you fit in

Cons

Felt a bit like high school.

Free People Photos