www.freepeople.com

Updated November 12, 2014
Updated November 12, 2014
3.6

Meg Hayne

Pros
  • great discount: 40% on regular priced merchandise, a selection of items each month at 60% (in 12 reviews)

• A great 40% discount at urban, fp and anthro (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • It's also incredible to me how much upper management can get away with without being fired (in 11 reviews)

• There are very little actual hours scheduled for sales associates, it is mainly on calls that are rarely used (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Manager In Training

Former Employee - Manager In Training in Corte Madera, CA
    Former Employee - Manager In Training in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Free People part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great discount (40%), flexible hours, love the brands! I gained valuable management experience that allowed me to move on to a "Home Office" job with another company.

Cons

Staff was cliquish and promoted based on who embodied the look of the brand rather than who actually worked hardest. Extremely low pay for a "manager."

Evaluate why the turnover rate is so high - select candidates based on skill and experience rather than looks.

Great concepts but can be cliquish

Current Employee - Stylist
    Current Employee - Stylist

I have been working at Free People part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-great discount: 40% on regular priced merchandise, a selection of items each month at 60%
    -40% off sale during appreciation
    -very liberal dress code
    -creativity is encouraged
    -beautiful stores
    -room for upward mobility
    -very flexible with scheduling; understanding of college students or people with second jobs.

Cons

One of the problems I have with this company is how cliquey certain stores or districts can be. This is common in retail and I have simply become accustomed to it. I've found that this is mostly based on the management. While some stores do give promotions to the hardest working/best performing employee, others do so based on the amount of likes you get on your selfies of you in Free People clothing. You can tell who is a favorite based on who follows who on social media. Stylists and management will speak poorly of one another behind each others backs. Some managers sit on the computer in the back for hours and treat stylists like maids. They are very finnicky with standards and will make you feel terrible about yourself if a shirt isn't folded 100% perfect. Also, the hourly rate is terrible and scheduling is a joke. For a company that is so image based and wants us to wear their (expensive) clothing, you'd think they would give an allowance or a higher hourly wage, or even let us work more than 5 hours at a time. Only the stylists who have other means of income are able to up their image because they can afford to look the part, and therefore win the favor of upper management. There is decent diversity amongst the staff but you would never know because the company only puts out images of the tall, skinny white girls that work there.

Please pay your stylists more or give us more hours. Many of us are hard workers and want to grow with the company. Don't promote purely based on how popular someone's Instagram account is unless the position revolves around social media, because this does not necessarily equate to someone having a full understanding of the brand. Encourage more diversity; "free spirits" are not just tall skinny white girls.

Great work environment but sometimes a bit catty!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Free People part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at Free People is actually a blast, and the discount is amazing. The customers are generally very nice and the overall environment feels more like a family then a coworker environment due to the small teams.

Cons

Scheduling can be very messy due to the small staffs, and managers don't always honor your scheduling requests. Plus, everyone is a bit catty at Free People towards each other.

Get better at scheduling!!

Awesome company!

Former Employee - Stylist
    Former Employee - Stylist

I worked at Free People part-time (more than an year)

Pros

if you want lots of hours, you can get lots of hours, you just need to ask! Super open management, corporate will interview anyone if you show an interest in home office. Very creative work, get to have so much fun dressing customers!

Cons

Photo closes = the worst. Some nights you will be there way after close to make the store to standard, usually have to close the store by yourself, hard work but most retail is.

You would keep the best stylists if competitive wages or commission was offered. :(

Great company

I worked at Free People

Pros

Great company, beautiful clothes, laid back environment.

Cons

They should pay sales staff more.

stylist

Current Employee - Free People Stylist in Ardmore, PA
    Current Employee - Free People Stylist in Ardmore, PA

I have been working at Free People part-time (more than an year)

Pros

great benefits, great work environment, really have to enjoy the brand

Cons

minimum pay, hours are not steady

Sales Associate Review

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Free People part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere at the store level, I loved to be there every day. Great music and calm vibe. They offer a great discount (40%) on Free People and Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters. You have some freedom to express your personal style, more so than a lot of other retailers.

Cons

Disorganized management and inconsistent scheduling. The people you work with can really make it an awful experience. There was very little training and poor communication from management throughout my employment.

Be more consistent and unify your communication.

Great company, difficult store staff

Current Employee - Manager In Training in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager In Training in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Free People part-time

Pros

Great discount, fun company, decent pay for stylists

Cons

Cliquey and not good work environment

Stop getting so close with staff. You're not supposed to be friends, management should create boundaries

Cute clothes, good discount, not enough money to afford them though

Former Employee - Stylist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Stylist in Austin, TX

I worked at Free People part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cute clothes, good discount, learn to style, lots of interesting people come in for networking, fun events, laid-back schedule

Cons

leadership, no feedback system, numbers-oriented, small payroll, weekly goals must be met if you want to work next week, poor pay

I loved my job, I did. Sometimes it was too busy and payroll only allowed for 2 girls to be staffed (one manager and whoever else) and sometimes it was so slow you were hoping they'd let you leave. I can't speak for all management, but my manager was some sort of witch. They play favorites, the girls are gossipy, and the store manager can make your job hell. IE: my manager was super rude and had a manic/panic personality. She'd either really love or really hate you depending on the day....not depending on your work. She'd cut your hours, be rude to you in front of customers, whatever she saw fit at the moment. I do not want to work for a company that doesn't have a decent enough feedback system for me to tell the SM that all her employees thought she was abrasive and rude...

Lack of communication and mixed signals

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Free People full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I work in the home office. Great discounts, You can bring your dog to work, Laid back atmosphere, & great seasonal work parties.

Cons

No HR department…unorganized. Lack of communication & often mixed signals from upper management. Make sure if you get a job here to really take the initiative with communication.

Free People Photos