Free People Reviews

Updated September 8, 2014
Updated September 8, 2014
3.5

Meg Hayne

Pros
  • A great 40% discount at urban, fp and anthro (in 6 reviews)

• great discount, lovely co-workers, happy environment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is moody, cliquey, and rude (in 8 reviews)

• There are very little actual hours scheduled for sales associates, it is mainly on calls that are rarely used (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

great experience as sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Free People part-time for less than a year

Pros

inspiring place to work, great discount, great people, full of creative minds. The pay was higher than most entry level retail. fun and exciting. was hired as holiday help but treated fairly like all the other employees

Cons

do not have many major complaints overall a great experience and fun place to be.

Wonderful company, wish there were more career opportunities

Current Employee - Visual Manager
    Current Employee - Visual Manager

I have been working at Free People full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great discount at Free People, Urban, Anthro for yourself and select friends/family
    -Staff is encouraging, motivated, friendly, and fun to work with.
    -Lots of room for growth with the company if you show initiative and work hard. With the company growing so much there are lots of new store openings and positions to be filled.
    -Fast pace work environment and there's never a dull moment
    -Very visually inspiring company that encourages creativity yet gives enough directive to be helpful

Cons

-Most growth in management positions require moving since Free People locations are very spread out.
    -The store team can make all the difference in whether or not there is a good work environment.

Happy, creative environment

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Free People full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of strong women and inspiring people to work with. There is loads of creativity: from product to social media to visual displays.

Cons

There can be a bit of a mean-girl environment. If you're liked, you'll do well. But if you do well, you aren't always liked.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Super fun if you can afford to be poor!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Free People as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The office is amazing. No one can argue that. My mentor let me challenge myself and gave me projects I had never done before, so that was fun. Also, if you make it past the internship and still want to work there, FP and URBN do a pretty good job of trying to find a full-time position for you as long as something is open.

Cons

There was a lot of down time, so I spent hours on Pinterest every day. I understand that Free People is creative and Pinterest-y, but I felt like I wasn't contributing. Also, I don't think that some of the visions Free People girls have would be respected out in the bigger business world. Also, the pay was horrible. I had friends doing less work than me at other internships and they were getting paid double my hourly rate. You definitely work there for the name, not the salary. One last thing, it's nothing personal, but why only Philly? If they can afford it, they should come here to California where a large bulk of their customers are.

I think interns should be given more responsibility. I had a friend who worked in a different department who was always busy working on projects and reaching out directly to important people in the fashion world. We should all have a chance to do that.

Pay is too Low

Current Employee - Senior Stylist
    Current Employee - Senior Stylist

I have been working at Free People part-time for more than a year

Pros

-easy to move up if you show improvement and interest
    -awesome discounts for you and your family and one friend or spouse
    -social media creativity
    -some employees are welcoming

Cons

-no team feel, though we say we are
    -work only with manager and rarely another stylist on floor
    -manager seems to "steal" my sales, however there's NO commission
    -Pay is WAY to low compared to what my responsibilities are and I bring this up all the time

-give me more freedom in my stylist position and move up more potential girls
    -hire more ethnic girls; bring more diversity
    -give more hours and raise pay

Friendly Environment!

Former Employee - Personal Shopper/Stylist  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Personal Shopper/Stylist in New York, NY

I worked at Free People part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Super friendly, helpful, approachable staff willing to retrain in areas that you don't feel so comfortable. Also many opportunities for advancement.
    Really allows you to expand your creativity whether it be through personal shopping, visual merchandising, or coming up with outfits for FP Me.

Cons

Over-employed, can't accommodate everyone's hours.

Awesome Company

Former Employee - Senior Stylist  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Stylist in Arlington, VA

I worked at Free People part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Loved it, worked there for 2.5 years and loved the atmosphere and laid back workplace.

Cons

lack of hours at my location due to foot traffic

hire less people and give more hours to employees who currently work there

Felt like a second home at one point, just wished the pay was higher.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Dedham, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dedham, MA

I worked at Free People part-time for more than a year

Pros

I learned a lot about the retail industry, loss prevention, window displays and installations and client books.

Cons

Micromanagement issues, not getting payed enough to afford a pair of jeans even with my discount, deal with a lot of snobs.

Managers need to be a little more open-minded, don't have obvious favorites, and be a little more professional, yet layed back. Be confident that the staff you hired knows how to do their jobs, and encourage and help them to be ambitious and confident.

Micromanaged madness/ absolute joke of a company

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Free People full-time for more than a year

Pros

A nice discount that makes the clothing ALMOST affordable. A selection of items every month at a 60% off price that are sometimes cute and worth buying.

Cons

This company is growing too fast for its own good. They open stores left and right and this directly effects the current stores by cutting into operational costs: ie they make the budget for our payroll smaller and smaller every month and quarter, they don't have enough managers on the district level to oversee the stores that are already open. They eliminate positions to save money overall, to open stores, and this directly stresses stores performance at a retail level. With no payroll, you cannot have appropriate amount of floor coverage, therefore loss becomes more of a problem. They want you to stay within a certain budget while also preventing theft which is impossible. You can have one or the other. If you go above your payroll, you will be micromanaged and reprimanded, but if you are under, you will have loss in the store. It's a lose-lose situation.
    In addition to opening too many stores, not having a good balance of managers, this company is the most clique-y I have ever worked for. The district you work in definitely matters. One district can be great and have good leaders, while another can be lead by snobby high school "cool" girls who gossip about store level managers and treat them as if they are never good enough. The turnover in this company is unreal. I have personally witnessed 5 store managers leave in the past 2 months and I can tell you why: they are overworked,micromanaged, underpaid, pressured to hit non realistic goals, treated disrespectfully and under appreciated.
    I personally witnessed District level managers gossiping about their managers, other store managers, having nothing positive to say. On another note, most of the district management is only knowledgable in one aspect if the business. Example: our District Visual Manager only had visual knowledge. She had absolutely no idea how to run a store, how much it took to manage employees, how to properly communicate, how to analyze other aspects of business, how to manage payroll, operational standards, etc. it's very hard to respect mean, unintelligent, not well rounded management.
    It's also incredible to me how much upper management can get away with without being fired. They gossip, they reprimand, have favorite employees, have little knowledge, never work in stores, try to get rid of managers they don't personally like and too many other things to write down.

So much pressure is put on store managers for no good reason. If you want to be called on a daily basis, have every managerial decision filtered through an upper manager, micromanaged, not trusted, gossiped about, called at home on your days off, belittled, then Free People is the place for you!

Hire knowledgable respectable people. Don't over manage just to feel like you are important. Trust your managers, especially ones that consistently perform above and beyond. You will continue to lose hard working people because of poor choices you are making.

Loyal customer denied employment from FP but got offered a job at a competitive brand with better pay!

Current Employee - Sales  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Free People part-time for less than a year

Pros

super easy retail job. Decent discount, nice customers! Pretty clothing, shoes, and accesories

Cons

Depending on location, co-workers could seem to be very catty and insecure towards each other. As a customer, I've overheard some NYC staff badmouthing other staff behind their backs on the sales floor. I shouldn't have to hear that the new girl has an ugly boyfriend. That's not nice and highly unprofessional

stop being so insecure! Hire staff with experience, not your next minions. It should be about the company's representation, not a popularity contest

Worked for Free People? Contribute to the Community!