Free People Reviews

Updated October 17, 2014
Updated October 17, 2014
3.5

Meg Hayne

Pros
  • Great discount at Free People, Urban, Anthro for yourself and select friends/family (in 9 reviews)

• great benefits, great work environment, really have to enjoy the brand (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • It's also incredible to me how much upper management can get away with without being fired (in 10 reviews)

• There are very little actual hours scheduled for sales associates, it is mainly on calls that are rarely used (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

I worked at Free People

Pros

Great company, beautiful clothes, laid back environment.

Cons

They should pay sales staff more.

stylist

Current Employee - Free People Stylist in Ardmore, PA
    Current Employee - Free People Stylist in Ardmore, PA

I have been working at Free People part-time (more than an year)

Pros

great benefits, great work environment, really have to enjoy the brand

Cons

minimum pay, hours are not steady

Sales Associate Review

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Free People part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere at the store level, I loved to be there every day. Great music and calm vibe. They offer a great discount (40%) on Free People and Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters. You have some freedom to express your personal style, more so than a lot of other retailers.

Cons

Disorganized management and inconsistent scheduling. The people you work with can really make it an awful experience. There was very little training and poor communication from management throughout my employment.

Be more consistent and unify your communication.

Visual Manager

I have been working at Free People full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The brand is truly inspiring and forward thinking. You will learn a lot! No matter what your position you get a chance to affect many aspects of the business which is a lot of fun. The benefits, IF you are on salary, are great.

Cons

While there is a lot of "room for growth" there is a very broad and non-specific timeline on that growth and it's easy to get burned out while you wait around for the idea of a promotion. Other than that get ready for LONG hours and fairly low pay compared to other similar brands. They very much consider themselves a growing brand and pay accordingly.

Make sure you have the BEST possible Store Managers in place!! I feel like you are loosing out on a lot of great girls with great work ethics (Visual and Operational Assistants in particular) due to petty in-store drama that could have been easily avoided if the SM had been more qualified and/ or better at their position.

Cute clothes, good discount, not enough money to afford them though

Former Employee - Stylist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Stylist in Austin, TX

I worked at Free People part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cute clothes, good discount, learn to style, lots of interesting people come in for networking, fun events, laid-back schedule

Cons

leadership, no feedback system, numbers-oriented, small payroll, weekly goals must be met if you want to work next week, poor pay

I loved my job, I did. Sometimes it was too busy and payroll only allowed for 2 girls to be staffed (one manager and whoever else) and sometimes it was so slow you were hoping they'd let you leave. I can't speak for all management, but my manager was some sort of witch. They play favorites, the girls are gossipy, and the store manager can make your job hell. IE: my manager was super rude and had a manic/panic personality. She'd either really love or really hate you depending on the day....not depending on your work. She'd cut your hours, be rude to you in front of customers, whatever she saw fit at the moment. I do not want to work for a company that doesn't have a decent enough feedback system for me to tell the SM that all her employees thought she was abrasive and rude...

Lack of communication and mixed signals

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Free People full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I work in the home office. Great discounts, You can bring your dog to work, Laid back atmosphere, & great seasonal work parties.

Cons

No HR department…unorganized. Lack of communication & often mixed signals from upper management. Make sure if you get a job here to really take the initiative with communication.

great experience as sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Free People part-time (less than an year)

Pros

inspiring place to work, great discount, great people, full of creative minds. The pay was higher than most entry level retail. fun and exciting. was hired as holiday help but treated fairly like all the other employees

Cons

do not have many major complaints overall a great experience and fun place to be.

Wonderful company, wish there were more career opportunities

Current Employee - Visual Manager
    Current Employee - Visual Manager

I have been working at Free People full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Great discount at Free People, Urban, Anthro for yourself and select friends/family
    -Staff is encouraging, motivated, friendly, and fun to work with.
    -Lots of room for growth with the company if you show initiative and work hard. With the company growing so much there are lots of new store openings and positions to be filled.
    -Fast pace work environment and there's never a dull moment
    -Very visually inspiring company that encourages creativity yet gives enough directive to be helpful

Cons

-Most growth in management positions require moving since Free People locations are very spread out.
    -The store team can make all the difference in whether or not there is a good work environment.

Super fun if you can afford to be poor!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Free People as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The office is amazing. No one can argue that. My mentor let me challenge myself and gave me projects I had never done before, so that was fun. Also, if you make it past the internship and still want to work there, FP and URBN do a pretty good job of trying to find a full-time position for you as long as something is open.

Cons

There was a lot of down time, so I spent hours on Pinterest every day. I understand that Free People is creative and Pinterest-y, but I felt like I wasn't contributing. Also, I don't think that some of the visions Free People girls have would be respected out in the bigger business world. Also, the pay was horrible. I had friends doing less work than me at other internships and they were getting paid double my hourly rate. You definitely work there for the name, not the salary. One last thing, it's nothing personal, but why only Philly? If they can afford it, they should come here to California where a large bulk of their customers are.

I think interns should be given more responsibility. I had a friend who worked in a different department who was always busy working on projects and reaching out directly to important people in the fashion world. We should all have a chance to do that.

Happy, creative environment

Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Free People full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of strong women and inspiring people to work with. There is loads of creativity: from product to social media to visual displays.

Cons

There can be a bit of a mean-girl environment. If you're liked, you'll do well. But if you do well, you aren't always liked.

Free People Photos