Freebirds

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bryan G. Lockwood

Low pay, but good people

Prep Cook (Former Employee) Humble, TX

ProsWhen I worked at Freebrids, it was a joy to come into work everyday. My GM, AGM, and Shift Managers were all great people. It was a lot of fun and best part is there was no uniform so you could wear your street clothes. The managers, at least at my location, always jumped in to help when they were slammed. They were not afraid to roll or wash dishes if need be. Training was very through and lasts for a week. They make sure you know what you're doing before you start working. Since they hire a lot of teenagers, they're very willing to work around your current school or work schedule if you have a second job.

ConsFirst of all the pay is terrible. If you still live at home like I do or are a teenager then it is passable. It'll pay your cell phone bill and help your parents out and still have a good chunk for yourself do with as you like. Also if you're an adult you may find yourself working with teenagers. This isn't inherently a bad thing, but some of the ones I worked with were kinda spoiled and prissy. They wouldn't do a lot of things because, and I quote one of the teens: "I'm too pretty for this." Yeah. That will get on your nerves.

Hard work if you're not a lazy worker!

Team Lead (Current Employee) Orange, CA

ProsFun people to work with in general, wear whatever you want, learn to have excellent guest service, the guests are, for the most part, pretty awesome, food is super yummy!

ConsLazy coworkers, so numbers oriented right now, stiff on hours and want you to rush through your stuff to get out as fast as possible, pay isn't the best.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith Freebirds being this company that caters to its guests and revolves its Lyric around being engaging and providing excellent food to its customers, I am surprised with some of the changes made to the menu recently. Freebirds spends so much time setting itself apart from its competitors and the new changes simply made it more like its competitors. I do grasp the reasoning for some of the changes (my store was one of the poorest performing stores in our region), but I also see how the guests look at it as a step down for the restaurant. I feel that if corporate potentially put its focus back on the guests once the restaurants get back on track it would be a better place to work.

"Freebirds It's Not, Not Weird."

Team Lead (Former Employee) Denton, TX

ProsMost of the food is well prepared, and from a close to scratch as can be expected from a restaurant of Freebirds' size and caliber. Generally, most of the staff that works the line is cool, and the crew is able to maintain a positive attitude while working. Employee discounts are also a bonus, I, for example, never once paid for a meal and while working at Freebirds, burritos, quesadillas, tacos etc. made up at least a third of my diet.

ConsManagement is growing increasingly awful as they try to constantly copy Chipotles' style. Freebirds has done away with pairing customers with tribe members, now passing burritos down the line, from roller to roller. Also gone are the little things that drew me in as a consumer long before I was employed at the company: brownies were once labeled "Pot Brownies", art decorated stores, and employees personal style was applauded. I was told by a Regional Manager that uniforms would be handed out soon. Even after working with Freebirds' for over a year as a Team Lead, my pay never hit $9.00 an hour, despite constant promises that my pay would increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiding in the office to avoid any real work! And, most importantly, stop trying to make Freebirds a knockoff version of Chipotle. Instead, focus on what made Freebirds great, the ability to stand out and make fun of itself a bit.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lost their way

General Manager (Former Employee) DFW, TX

ProsScratch food, employees still allowed to be themselves

Consterrible communication to restaurants, turning into chipotle

Advice to Senior Managementfigure out who you want to be

The worst job ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPretty easy going job, as long as you are in the "IN" crowd.

ConsHorrible upper management. Equipment always breaking. Changing policy and procedures on a monthly basis. Barely any help inside the store and out side the store. No training for anything. Very cut throat operation. If you don't do well "rubbing elbows" then you will be targeted.

Advice to Senior ManagementI absolutely have no advise. I would rather see this company implode and go belly up into no longer in business.

Corporate Nightmare

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsThere are good people in the company who try to make it great, but unfortunately are overrun by corporate politics.

ConsThe Tavistock Group that recently took over the corporate office and has since been driving the poor restaurants into the ground with their poor communications to guests and staff. This is a broken company that spends all its time putting out fires caused by bad management and cant seem to move forward with the times.

too many employees not enough hours, portion sizes are small and they charge extra for practically everything.

Tribe Member (Former Employee) Pleasant Hill, CA

Prosthey want you to be yourself and have fun. Can go by any name you want.

Consno employee discounts unless spending a certain amount, portion sizes, extra charge for almost everything and customers get made at you for it.

Advice to Senior Managementbigger portion sizes, too many top hats or whatever they're called with egos.

Great place to work!

Shift Manager (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

Proseasy to move up fast , I get enough hours

ConsNot everyone is a team player

Misguided career path - do not attempt

Crew Member (Current Employee)

ProsThe best reason to work for Freebirds is that you get to meet new people, employees and guests. The culture allows you show up to work without being cloaked in a generic uniform.

ConsThe development is limited and/or extremely lacking. There are no benefits, health insurance, 401K, etc. Operational changes occur often and frustrate everyone at every level. The "One-on-One" concept does not work very well because employees are expected to interact and complete the burrito building process within two minutes. Many employees don't understand the organization, its structure, or its vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace that your employees bring more to the table than just a projected image for the "Not Normal" theme. Your employees will not embrace the passion for your business because you do not passionately embrace them. You reap the benefits from the hard-work of these young men and young women, but without providing benefits or incentives for their professional or personal longevity.

Poor Fun

ProsFun, lively group of coworkers. Get to meet lots of cool people and good place to network. Discounted food...depending on location. No uniforms required other than apron and head wear.

ConsLow pay wages. No opportunity for a pay raise. If you don't like repeating yourself over and over again, then don't consider this job. Guests sometimes talk down to you because of the stigma that goes along with the restaurant. Corporation operated.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees so they will take care of your guests.

Worked for Freebirds? Contribute to the Community!