Freebirds Reviews

2.4

Bryan G. Lockwood

Fun Place to Be

I worked at Freebirds

Pros

Great people, Great product, and fun place to work

Cons

Lots of changes recently without clear direction of where the new leadership is heading

Far too stressful for too low a salary

I worked at Freebirds

Pros

I worked with really great people who meant well. My managers were fantastic and were doing their best to make a really great environment for both employees and customers. We had a lot of fun on our shifts and it was pretty cool to work in a chain restaurant that doesn't make you wear a silly uniform.

Cons

I have worked in a lot of restaurants so I figured out my way around pretty well, but the major downfall of this company is that they don't have a properly implemented training system. Because of this (combined with the very low wages) the restaurant had very high employee turnover and there was very rarely a full team of workers that actually knew what they were doing.

Work more on training your employees and managers consistently.

Work hard, play harder

Current Employee - Team Lead in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Austin, TX

I have been working at Freebirds full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a very laid back company. I've spent a lot of my young adult years with them and they are definitely of the mentality that you should work hard but also have fun. They want you to be happy.

Starting pay for hourly is average ($7.25+tips) as a lot of people starting out are college aged kids but if you're consistent they are pretty good about giving semi regular raises. I got my first raise after about a year.

They definitely want you to gain experience and grow. Almost everyone at my location is cross trained on just about everything and having such a large percentage of the staff being able to cover what is most needed is very helpful.

They are very understanding about your personal life and conflicts. Again, a lot of the staff across the board is comprised of young adults so they're used to accommodating class schedules or possibly a second job.

They are very open to ideas about improvement, at least on a local management level (in store).

Cons

This is a very popular chain so many locations get very busy. You will definitely work for your money.

There are some issues with the favoritism/moving up ratio. Although everyone is given a chance staff that the higher ups feel closer to will generally be first in line for those advancement opportunities. It took me a very long time to move up despite a lot of hard work (though it did eventually happen).

You will get dirty.

This is a very fast paced job so if you aren't good with "trial by fire" this may not be the job for you.

Listen to your loyal guests, a lot of them are dissatisfied with the current service model and menu.

Meh

Current Employee - General Manager in College Station, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in College Station, TX

I have been working at Freebirds full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun for college students and meeting people.

Cons

Stink when you get home from shift.

Roll

OK for teenagers/college students

I worked at Freebirds

Pros

Decent pay, usually drama free hard working co workers

Cons

Poor leadership, frankly unprofessional at times in pursuit of friendly atmosphere which it failed to accomplish

more structure and trust for your employees, stop trying to be chipotle and find your own niche

Low pay, but good people

Former Employee - Prep Cook in Humble, TX
    Former Employee - Prep Cook in Humble, TX

I worked at Freebirds part-time

Pros

When I worked at Freebrids, it was a joy to come into work everyday. My GM, AGM, and Shift Managers were all great people. It was a lot of fun and best part is there was no uniform so you could wear your street clothes. The managers, at least at my location, always jumped in to help when they were slammed. They were not afraid to roll or wash dishes if need be. Training was very through and lasts for a week. They make sure you know what you're doing before you start working. Since they hire a lot of teenagers, they're very willing to work around your current school or work schedule if you have a second job.

Cons

First of all the pay is terrible. If you still live at home like I do or are a teenager then it is passable. It'll pay your cell phone bill and help your parents out and still have a good chunk for yourself do with as you like. Also if you're an adult you may find yourself working with teenagers. This isn't inherently a bad thing, but some of the ones I worked with were kinda spoiled and prissy. They wouldn't do a lot of things because, and I quote one of the teens: "I'm too pretty for this." Yeah. That will get on your nerves.

Hard work if you're not a lazy worker!

Current Employee - Team Lead in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Orange, CA

I have been working at Freebirds part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun people to work with in general, wear whatever you want, learn to have excellent guest service, the guests are, for the most part, pretty awesome, food is super yummy!

Cons

Lazy coworkers, so numbers oriented right now, stiff on hours and want you to rush through your stuff to get out as fast as possible, pay isn't the best.

With Freebirds being this company that caters to its guests and revolves its Lyric around being engaging and providing excellent food to its customers, I am surprised with some of the changes made to the menu recently. Freebirds spends so much time setting itself apart from its competitors and the new changes simply made it more like its competitors. I do grasp the reasoning for some of the changes (my store was one of the poorest performing stores in our region), but I also see how the guests look at it as a step down for the restaurant. I feel that if corporate potentially put its focus back on the guests once the restaurants get back on track it would be a better place to work.

"Freebirds It's Not, Not Weird."

Former Employee - Team Lead in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Denton, TX

I worked at Freebirds part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the food is well prepared, and from a close to scratch as can be expected from a restaurant of Freebirds' size and caliber. Generally, most of the staff that works the line is cool, and the crew is able to maintain a positive attitude while working. Employee discounts are also a bonus, I, for example, never once paid for a meal and while working at Freebirds, burritos, quesadillas, tacos etc. made up at least a third of my diet.

Cons

Management is growing increasingly awful as they try to constantly copy Chipotles' style. Freebirds has done away with pairing customers with tribe members, now passing burritos down the line, from roller to roller. Also gone are the little things that drew me in as a consumer long before I was employed at the company: brownies were once labeled "Pot Brownies", art decorated stores, and employees personal style was applauded. I was told by a Regional Manager that uniforms would be handed out soon. Even after working with Freebirds' for over a year as a Team Lead, my pay never hit $9.00 an hour, despite constant promises that my pay would increase.

Stop hiding in the office to avoid any real work! And, most importantly, stop trying to make Freebirds a knockoff version of Chipotle. Instead, focus on what made Freebirds great, the ability to stand out and make fun of itself a bit.

Lost their way

Former Employee - General Manager in DFW, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in DFW, TX

I worked at Freebirds full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Scratch food, employees still allowed to be themselves

Cons

terrible communication to restaurants, turning into chipotle

figure out who you want to be

The worst job ever

I worked at Freebirds

Pros

Pretty easy going job, as long as you are in the "IN" crowd.

Cons

Horrible upper management. Equipment always breaking. Changing policy and procedures on a monthly basis. Barely any help inside the store and out side the store. No training for anything. Very cut throat operation. If you don't do well "rubbing elbows" then you will be targeted.

I absolutely have no advise. I would rather see this company implode and go belly up into no longer in business.