Freebirds Reviews

Updated April 2, 2015
57 reviews filtered by
2.3
Bryan G. Lockwood

Pros
  • No uniforms, you can wear whatever you want (in 4 reviews)

• I worked with really great people who meant well (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management do not care about anything than numbers (in 8 reviews)

• long hours, hard work with barely any recognition (in 3 reviews)

1. Used to be great, but slowly being taken over by massive corporation type shenanigans

Former Employee - Employee
    Former Employee - Employee

I worked at Freebirds

Pros

- Fun Atmosphere (Music, Fast paced vibe, etc.)
    - Great management (willing to listen, fair, honest)
    - You get a decent Food Discount

Cons

- Bad Pay (With how fast it is and how popular it is, pay could be increased)

Advice to Management

- Better Payment
    - Add some decent Benefits
    - Bring back the free T-shirts!

2. A terrible mix of miscommunication, high turnover rate, frustration, and too many managers for too little people.

Current Employee - Front of House in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Front of House in Houston, TX

I have been working at Freebirds part-time (less than a year)

Pros

No uniform, food discount, great people, fast-paced environment, time off for school, able to request some days off.

Cons

Random schedule changes if someone quits so don't make any for sure plans, too many managers telling you what to do that it over laps with what other managers have told you to do, Sometimes given full-time hours for 2-3 weeks even though you're a part time employee, being given time off for school negates any other days off so plan your college social and work life accordingly.

Advice to Management

Having too many managers on shift at one time causes problems and frustration in the workplace. Being told different things by different people that need to be done at the same time is confusing and causes some anger and resentment.

3. What Happened to Thee, Freebirds?

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Freebirds full-time (more than a year)

Pros

One (used to) be able to wear mostly an attire for the uniform. Now they even regulate your SOCK height, people.
    The music is good. But plays the same ACDC songs on repeat. But still, it isn't Kesha so, cool.
    The "food discount" (I'm being generous calling it that) is sometimes 50% depending on the item.

Cons

High GM and AGM turnover. (My store has seen over four in the last year alone).
    Since the hiring of the former Chipotle Exec, Freebirds has been cleaning shop. Less tattoos, less self-expression, less unique staff, ect. Gone are the days in College Station where Freebirds was the eclectic, cool chain run by a former hippie. Now it's all corporate, off-shore tax shelter included. Even though employees are supposed to get six-month raises, forget about it. I had to threaten going to the Texas Workforce Commission to get my measly $8.00/hour after being there nearly a year. And I have a college degree from a top-Texas university. This night job takes the mickey out of everyone working there.

Advice to Management

If you're unfortunate enough to consider an AGM or GM job here, DON'T. Please. This will steal 80+ hours a week from you and pay you roughly $36,000-$42,000.

If you're already one of the jerks (thinking) you run this show--try letting employees have their meals for free. Here's a great tip: I know you get food cost bonuses. If I *forget* to charge people for their extras since you refused to let me eat some food you're going to throw at at night anyway, then I'll make sure that $70+ I forgot to charge people impacts your target bonuses. Pay me well now and let me eat a $.75 meal, and we all win. Management, it's fast food (shut up already about the quick service bit). Let your employees be treated at least partially like humans. If we can call our customers "guests" and treat them like it, try showing some of that respect to your employees.

5. prepare, display and serve food

Former Employee - Line Worker in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Line Worker in Shreveport, LA

I worked at Freebirds

Pros

Good workmates, enjoyable atmosphere and laid back

Cons

Management did not care about any of the employees. Raise promises are not kept. no room to move up

Advice to Management

keep your promises on increased compensation, treat your employees more like people

6. Freebirds is a fun, alternative workplace that is great for high school and college-aged students.

Former Employee - Team Leader in College Station, TX
    Former Employee - Team Leader in College Station, TX

I worked at Freebirds

Pros

Freebirds is a really fun place to work. The work itself is simple and allows you the opportunity to interact with a diverse client base and make really great friends in the process. Most management is younger, so the environment, for the most part, is pretty relaxed. Promotions were relatively common since they have a high turn over rate. Training is quick and painless.

Cons

Freebirds is run by mostly younger men and women. For this reason, they are a fluid company and often make changes. With their recent turn over into a corporate business, there is a bit more structure. If you want to make a living, Freebirds most likely isn't for you. Pay raises are few. This is a job for high school and college-aged kids.

Advice to Management

Most managers are young, so there is often times a lack of leadership and/or a power struggle. This can often lead to rouge team members and a majority of the employees not taking their manager's seriously.

7. Team Leader

Former Employee - Team Leader in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Houston, TX

I worked at Freebirds

Pros

You get to wear whatever you want, meet new and different people.

Cons

Hard to move up, different management all the time. Very unorganized. Favoritism

Advice to Management

Need to do better with management and organization.

8. Fun place to work

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Freebirds full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Corporate finally has upper management in place and is moving forward to make this a better company. The company is setting itself up for future growth so there will be many chances for advancement.

Cons

It is difficult to balance work/ home life. Some middle management micromanages too much.

Advice to Management

Allow good managers to manage.

9. great crew but good old boy upper managment

I worked at Freebirds (more than 5 years)

Pros

great crew at store very flex able scheduling

Cons

could pay better i mean they say there food has a conscience and well that should starts with there employees well being
    up to 26 hours paid vacation a year. 30 min after every 32 hour work week most other places give 2 weeks a year
    they do not live up to the freebirds culture its becoming more and more like Chipotle.

Advice to Management

when the entirety of your earnings are exhausted on food and shelter labors are no longer viewed as an opportunity for economic advancement but rather as an act of self preservation and in the real world that is called slavery.

10. Fun, but not something to keep for long

I have been working at Freebirds part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment. Challenging tasks make you feel like more than the average fast food worker.

Cons

Laid-back environment cultivates a very unprofessional attitude from senior management. Manager is late calling me by a day already, avoids talking to me at all costs, especially when asking in advance to have a discussion.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Also, the customer is a little more relaxed than you may assume.

11. Fun Place to Be

I worked at Freebirds

Pros

Great people, Great product, and fun place to work

Cons

Lots of changes recently without clear direction of where the new leadership is heading