Freedom Debt Relief

Updated September 21, 2014
4.2

Freedom Debt Relief Co-Founders & CEO's Brad Stroh & Andrew Housser
Brad Stroh & Andrew Housser

Good now getting too big

Current Employee - Inside Sales  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Freedom Debt Relief full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The service we provide to help people get out of debt and the people I work with are great

Cons

WAY too much micro managing and selling from script

If you want robots, just hire kids out of college and have them read from a script

Very High Turnover and LOW Pay

Former Employee - New Enrollment  in  Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - New Enrollment in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Freedom Debt Relief full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some pretty nice people around the office.

Cons

2/3 of the class I started with in May are now gone. You are just a number and if you don't fit their mold, you will be terminated. The reality is they will have your seat filled within a matter of days because every 3 weeks they have a new class starting. Out with the old, in with the new. I was terminated to health reasons, documented health reasons that they acknowledged and would see me in the office sick but they didn't care. I was even working overtime most weeks and producing numbers that exceeded their quotas but they didn't care. When they blindsided me and walked me into HR, they told me I exceeded the number of absences allowed which goes against everything they put in writing to me and also as company policy, but they didn't care. They were aware I was working with a specialist to address my health concerns but when they terminated me, they also terminated my health insurance a week later thus preventing me from being able to continue treatment, they don't care. The joke is, they call this the "Freedom Family".... well if that behavior is what you call family, I'm glad I'm no longer apart of yours. As for the pay, what others are saying is very much true, $12.02/hour, takes about 5-6 months to hopefully get a commission check. Pretty much everything recruiting and management told me in the interview process did turn out to be fraudulent.

I'm disgusted by your actions, I have no advice for you, karma will ultimately prevail.

It is what it is

Former Employee - Advanced Collections Team  in  San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Advanced Collections Team in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Freedom Debt Relief full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay was decent and there were monthly lunches provided by the company along with summer and winter outings.

Cons

There aren't many bad things that I can say. Sometimes the policies were a little over the top but at times those changes were necessary

N/A

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad managers

I worked at Freedom Debt Relief full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Financial services company that helps people with bad debt. The program does work and it feels good helping people who are so baldly in debt.

Cons

Historically they've have really bad managers and directors. Some have been accused of sexual harassment and racism yet have retained their positions - or even been promoted.

Pick better leaders and you will have a much better company. Also, your reputation for being cheap with employees is legendary. Pay Bay Area market scale, not Alabama market scale.

Current Employee - New Client Enrollment  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - New Client Enrollment in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Freedom Debt Relief full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Let me begin with an apology. I am not a writer nor has grammar ever been a strong suit of mine. I would normally not share my thoughts in written word but do understand where negative thoughts and accusations come from…I once lived them.

When I first came to FDR I was very skeptical. I graduated from college with a degree in Finance and was a successful financial consultant prior to going into the mortgage business. I had always looked at finance as a way to make people money and never looked at the “helping people out of a messy financial situation” side. In going through training and learning of all the tools out there that can help the general public I was excited about the opportunity! Once on the phone I found that it would not be as easy as I thought, and I thought I was the best!!

Instead of making excuses I looked deep into my process, spoke to my Team Lead and sought help from successful account executives at the time. This was a humbling experience and I will admit I even shed a few tears. I worked very hard to understand the leads that were calling in and how I could truly help them. I had to stop looking inward at what I needed and truly listen and understand each lead that was calling in. The answer was easy but the understanding took time. The answer was and still is to put the leads needs ahead of my own. Always consult as if you are speaking to your closest relative and give the most hones advice you can. The beauty of what the company does and the message delivered by management is that we cannot help everyone. This is not a “cure all” product/service. We deliver other companies options and send people on their way in the same manner and kindness as if we were enrolling them ourselves and this is a very big deal to me.

I was hired in late February of 2008, hit my stride in June 2008 and began to do very well. In our world enrolling a million dollars of business is a big deal. In the perceived "slow season" of December 2008 I enrolled over 20 clients for a total of $961,214. Once it was not about the numbers and about just helping the leads (while using all systems/ tools/ insight given to me), things became very clear and simple.

Personally and professionally I have grown more at FDR and I thank them for that. As for frustrated account executives and people in general I urge them to look outward, help others and seek help in whatever it is you do…For as long as you live.

It takes time for people to learn that life is not about them, it’s about helping others. Once this basic theory is understood and truly employed, success and fulfillment is around the corner. Unfortunately in the “Sales” world this is a tough theory to teach.

Cons

Sales is not always done through Selling and this is a tough concept for some people to understand.

Continue to lead by example. Day in and day out you all set the bar on professionalism and what it is to truly care about people...yes people not employees. It is awesome to learn and see things from a giving perspective, especially in a business environment, this is very rare.

Growing company with great resources and enthusiastic employees

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Freedom Debt Relief full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast-paced, high energy role that rewards you for your hard work. Like any sales role, the job is stressful at times, but my team and management allows me to stay motivated. Everyone is encouraged to work hard, and is rewarded for that. If you're looking for a sales opportunity that pays well, allows you to challenge yourself, apply at FDR.

Cons

Challenging to advance in upper management roles

Good, Solid Company To Work For

Current Employee - Sales Agent  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Freedom Debt Relief full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent sales job that has potential to pay well.
    Hard to find a better paying career for a telesales job.
    Company strongly encourages work/life balance by offering flexibility in vacation times, flexing of schedules, and sick time.
    We really do provide a service that can give relief to those who are in a financial hardship.

Cons

If you are not comfortable with sales, then this job will be a challenge.
    Compliance tends to be a little unclear.

Provide annual satisfaction surveys to measure how the agents feel about the company.

Freedom Debt Relief is a great company/ negative reviewers must live in an alternate universe

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Freedom Debt Relief full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was just googling my company to see what people say about us and I found a couple negative reviews here by current employees and just had to respond. WOW. I took notes on some of the outright nonsense. I am a father with three teenage kids and some of the whining and lack of accountability reminds of them. The shameful thing is the person writing the negative review is an adult. So here goes.

The reviewer said roughly the only pros are a flexible schedule and free lunch once a month. Really? We also have a couple parties a year that are NOT cheap, great healthcare and 401k benefits and a very positive and upbeat culture.

I will list other pros as I address the supposed cons from the previous review. The reviewer stated we are firing people right up to Christmas. Yes, that does happen. This is a business and that is real life. Sorry. To get fired here, you know WELL in advance that it is coming. They give you all kinds of chances, coaching,etc. I have walked into the office of upper management several times for advice, help, etc. If this person does not take advantage of ALL the tools and assistance they have to do this job, well, whatever. That is their problem and they will take that lousy attitude to their next job.

Yes our business gets slow around Christmas. Anyone with some sense and rudimentary business skills will prepare for that. That is true of any job that involves selling some sort of product, including debt management programs. I have sold real estate, advertising and cheeseburgers. Sales is sales. Maybe this just isn't your thing.

This person also said leads are pumped to "lifers". Um...NO. Everything here is very fair. In fact, it is extremely fair. We have even implemented a new system that makes it even more equal. We all have access to the same information, files, etc.

This person said we do not get credit for cancelled deals. Well OF COURSE you don't. This is a business. How can you be paid for something that no longer exists? Part of being a successful salesperson is spending 80% of your day on new business and 20% of your day on old business. I give all my clients my direct number and tell them to call me whenever they feel like it. I take each one of my clients very seriously and that is how my co-workers operate as well. We actually help people here at Freedom Debt Relief. I save people hundreds of dollars off their monthly expenses right away and then our negotiations team saves them thousands, often TENS of thousands by the time they are done. I am very proud of what I do. I have years of experience in non-profit work and my reputation is that of a very moral person. This is a VERY moral company and I would not work here if it were otherwise. Some of the people I talk to are in tears and freaking out. I help them to get their lives back on track. What we do is not for the faint of heart I guess, but it is a very meaningful and important thing we do here. So yes, you have to "babysit" your clients. So what. They call us because we are the number one in America. That is no accident. We became that way because we DO babysit our clients. When people are in debt, they are emotionally raw and they might cancel if you don't call them occasionally to see how they are. I would think that would be common sense.

This person stated we are micromanaged. Wow. I have been gainfully employed for 26 years. I have had a number of bosses over the years. I KNOW what micromanagement is and it is a miserable thing. My team leader at Freedom Debt Relief is SO far from a micro manager....I just do not get that. He expects me to do my job and if I am not doing what I am supposed to, yes, he will intervene. That is true of any setting unless you are self employed. As long as I am doing my job, my boss completely leaves me alone. I am a professional, he trusts me and so I have a very calm and even fun workday. I do not get that. And I know all the team leaders here by first name and they are ALL very nice and helpful people.

Which leads me to another ridiculous criticism...this person said no one knows each other here. Maybe you just are not a very sociable person. I am friends with people on my team, people on other teams. We hang out after work several times a year. We are like a little family. I have had chats with the co-founders of this company! Several times! In the office and offsite. And I am not in the top ten of the employees here. I am pretty average in my performance. You know who is to blame for my average performance? ME. No one else.

Even as an average performer (and a few months underperforming) my income was still in the $50k range. With a few tweeks, I will most likely make $80k or more next year. I honestly do not know how this person is making less money or what they are doing all day.They deserve to be fired.

I love this place. I just do not understand what this negative reviewer is talking about. It comes off as very delusional.

Cons

Occasionally some people slip through the interview process that just are not a good fit. They are a real pain to work with, but do not last long. This is rare. Most of the people on my team have been here a long time and we love our jobs. We ARE the best in the industry and we expect everyone here to bring their "A" game daily. Those who do not, like in any office, are irritating to be around. I avoid such people and enjoy my day.

None. Thanks for giving me a great place to work where I do something important and make a good living for my wife and kids.

High Stress/Low Pay Environment

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Freedom Debt Relief full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was not micromanaged. This is subjective because some Team Leads are very hands-on but mine was excellent and he allowed me to work through my leads how I wanted. Very nice co-workers. Everyone willing to help when you have questions and management has an open-door policy. One thing that impressed me particularly is that the CEO Brad Stroh would come and visit the Tempe office and make himself available between certain times in order to answer any questions or concerns that you might have. This is the only company I've worked for where your concerns can be taken right to the very top with a face-to-face discussion.

Cons

First off, there are some very accurate negative reviews here that are dismissed as "just a bitter ex-employee" or "someone really negative who has a vendetta" and I can assure you that I am neither of those things. I am grateful that I was one of the "couldn't hack it" guys here because my struggles with FDR led to a much better sales job for me. One of the reviewers mentioned personal accountability and I also believe in being accountable. To be fair, I am an average salesperson with an above-average work ethic. I'm nothing special but I'm also not the lazy twenty-something who expects to be handed a high-paying job either. Accountability runs both ways, I am accountable to the company to sell and be professional and I expect the company to be honest and fair in their dealings with me. At the end of 2012 when our minimum sales quota was raised by over 15%, management didn't bother to tell anybody. In my interview I was also told about the long tenure of most employees and I found this to be entirely incorrect. Within six months half of my training class was gone either through corrective action because they couldn't meet quota or because the stress was too much for them. Don't take my word for it, just look at how often FDR posts jobs for new sales people and you'll start to see a trend. I was extremely skeptical of the $12/hr starting wage but I took the job because of the commission potential. After being here a while I was consistently meeting quota and my commission was usually between $1,100-$1,400/month. I received an hourly raise to $14/hr + commission. Do the math and we're talking about 29K base and 15K commission. We're talking about a $44,000/yr job. In your interview it will be presented as paying much better, but I can tell you from being there a few years that you can expect to make between 40-50 thousand if you're average like I was and probably 50-60 if you work lots of overtime or you're above average. I also made quite a few friends there and they've been telling me that the scripting now has gotten to the point where you are almost reading a script word-for-word in order to pass compliance reviews.

One other thing I wanted to point out was that I find it curious that some of the recent reviews like the review posted on December 20th gives a 5 star rating for every category. Really? So even though this is a call center sales job, that particular reviewer believes that this job is a 5 star job for "career opportunities"? Every call center I've ever worked at has basically the phone reps and then the managers. No movement, no change and no new jobs. How is this a 5 star job for career opportunities? Where can you go here after being on the phone for two or three years? I thought that "career opportunities" means the ability to move up and be promoted right? People in call centers usually just move on, but most don't move up. This review makes me think that someone in HR has the task of putting positive yet false reviews on this site in order to protect offset some of the harsher and more realistic views.

You can take my review with a grain of salt or label me however you'd like, but I will say that I've had far worse jobs and this job isn't awful and I made some great friendships there but it was nothing like what was presented to me in my initial interview. I hope that information helps.

No advice. You were fair to me and I knew what was expected. My Team Lead was very helpful and he was a good leader too.

Typical high-turnover call center environment

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Freedom Debt Relief full-time for less than a year

Pros

Schedule flexibility. If you need to work around school or kids then this is a huge benefit and management will approve schedule changes without much issue. Free lunch is provided one time per month as a nice gesture.

Cons

Christmas is two weeks away and management is still firing people almost daily. I understand the need to do that if people can't meet their numbers but come on, right before Christmas? Leads slow down to a trickle in December and January but management doesn't lower the sales quota in these months at all! So they give you nothing to work with yet they still expect the same production out of you. The leads that DO come in are disconnected phone numbers and people who didn't even inquire. Only here is that called a "lead opportunity". Management is really good at spinning things. In the interview they mention that people have worked here for years. The reality is that 80% of the workforce turns over every 12 months and the other 20% are the lifers that get the leads and phone calls pumped to them on a priority basis. A few other gems....if you sell a deal and submit it but that client calls customer service (without your knowledge because customer service doesn't notify you) and moves their first payment date or their payment doesn't go through because of insufficient funds then guess what, you don't get credit for it! The company will still collect on it but you just don't get paid anything for it. If you meet your sales quota and things happen that are out of your control (like a customer moving their payment date or just not having the money to make their payment) then those deals don't count and you miss your quota and you're written up. So you get to sell the deal AND become a babysitter to make sure that people that are already bad with their money end up paying on their program start date. Nothing like adding a little administrative/collections work to an already stressful sales job. You get micromanaged at every turn. Compliance reviews, call reviews, one-on-one manager meetings, team meetings, meetings about other meetings, you get the picture. I made a mistake coming here but I did my homework and bought into the "Phoenix Business Journal Top Companies to Work For" award that Freedom talks up and I took the job based on blatant lies, omissions and half-truths that were told to me in my interview. I've never worked harder for less in my life and the constant threat of missing quota is always there. Soon I'll also be fired because like so many of my colleagues I can't meet quota. This job is like so many other sales jobs these days: just bring them in and work them until they burn out or continue raising the minimum requirements until everyone is gone and bring new people in. That's the mentality here too. None of the sales people here know each other because they have one focus: try not to get fired. People disappear every week and you don't know about it for a while because nobody talks to each other. It's just heads down and get on the phone and that's it. If you take this job you'll regret it. Maybe not immediately but definitely once your "ramp up" period is over and the actual real monthly quota requirements kick in that's when it gets real.

You know when someone comes in for an interview that this is a high turnover job but you present it as a model of stability. You know that this job is heavily scripted down to the word and there is no individualism involved in the sales process yet you present the script as a "basic outline to get you going until you're comfortable." You know that the average employee is not making anywhere close to 55k-60k per year but you still present that figure as the average and you lie through your teeth to bring people over. You guys have become expert at spinning yarns to prospective employees but you know deep down that what you're saying is not even remotely true. If your son or daughter came in for an interview would you give them the same pitch that you gave all of us? I don't know how you're able to do what you do on a regular basis but it takes a special person I guess.

Freedom Debt Relief Response

Dec 23, 2013HR Recruiter

Freedom Debt Relief would like to respond to this posting by first saying that we have an open door policy and would like the opportunity speak to this employee to find a solution to their concerns ... More

Worked for Freedom Debt Relief? Contribute to the Community!