Freeman Health System

Updated June 4, 2014
Updated June 4, 2014
3.4

Paula Baker

Good experience in the hospital setting!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Joplin, MO
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Joplin, MO

I have been working at Freeman Health System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked with a really great team of nurses. Always felt comfortable asking questions if I wasn't sure about somthing. Learned alot and the department I worked in was good about encouraging their nurses to advance their knowledge and provided various opportunities to do this. They pay for all your required and most optional certifications!

Cons

Politics that come with working in a large company. Pay could be better, but after recent budget changes, is adequate.

The team you have in your ICU is setting a wonderful example for the rest of the hospital. There is actual evidence of teamwork and sincere interest starting with the director, which has spread to the rest of the unit. Would like to see that same enthusiasm in some of the other areas of the hospital...

It's been a learning successful 8 1/2 years

Current Employee - Government Account Specialist  in  Joplin, MO
    Current Employee - Government Account Specialist in Joplin, MO

I have been working at Freeman Health System full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I love the support from management and clearing accounts.

Cons

There are a lot of younger girls working there that don't have very good work ethics.

Stop the favoritism.

Great people and work atmosphere.

Former Employee - Homebound Medical Transcriptionist  in  Joplin, MO
    Former Employee - Homebound Medical Transcriptionist in Joplin, MO

I worked at Freeman Health System full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great training, good work-life balance, benefits.

Cons

No complaints for this company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's okay to work there.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Joplin, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Joplin, MO

I have been working at Freeman Health System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Most co-workers are pleasant to work with

Cons

Takes a long time for advancements to happen

Not a bad job.

Current Employee - Phlebotomist  in  Joplin, MO
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Joplin, MO

I have been working at Freeman Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great job for college student. Lots of study time between draws.

Cons

Supervision is not done correctly, and lots of drama between the workers.

Always gave more than 100% of myself, but that was never enough to satisfy my supervisor.

Current Employee - Nonclinical  in  Joplin, MO
    Current Employee - Nonclinical in Joplin, MO

I have been working at Freeman Health System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I love working with my co-workers as a team and interacting with patients. They all are a big part of my family and friends.

Cons

Regardless of the level of education, work experience and the many years of devoted service I've given them I was never ever able to move up to a better paying job or be considered for a promotion. I have applied for so many different positions over the years that I was qualified for and didn't even get considered that I have come to the conclusion that it's not what you know, but who you know that gets you where you want to go for this company. They pay you just enough to keep you where you're at because they know you can't find another job somewhere else in the same town for any better wage. Also, the stress level is very high at all times because they insist on you doing more work with less help.

I think employees should be recognized and promoted when possible for all the hard work and years of dedication they've put in here and be rewarded for it and not just be pigeon holed forever in the same position just because they have always done a tremendous job for the company where they have been stuck at for many years and overlooked for advancement possibilities.. Employees need to be allowed to grow to feel a sense of accomplishment in their career instead of being stifled.

Ozark Center leaves a lot to be desired as an employer

Former Employee - Medical Records Clerk (Ozark Center)  in  Joplin, MO
    Former Employee - Medical Records Clerk (Ozark Center) in Joplin, MO

I worked at Freeman Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Freeman's great reputation, good leadership at the executive level, acceptable and fairly-priced insurance plans for employees, client-positive culture.

Cons

Unusually low wages for nonclinical staff (especially at Ozark Center), poor organization, dark ages technology standards for Ozark Center, hands off supervisory staff, critical lack of cohesion between Ozark Center and Freeman health systems.

Either get rid of Ozark Center or make it a true part of Freeman. Pay medical records staff adequate wages and have a lower tolerance for disorganization in that realm. I was a fantastic, hardworking, educated and experienced medical records clerk and received a less-than-stellar review with no raise because my supervisor had no idea of my work achievements or habits. Another staff member was also very good and after 14 years on the job still made under $10 per hour...that should NOT happen!

Wonderful company to clients, not so much so to the employees.

Current Employee - Cottage Supervisor  in  Joplin, MO
    Current Employee - Cottage Supervisor in Joplin, MO

I have been working at Freeman Health System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Assertive treatment movements for clients served.
    Successful treatment programs.
    Caring staff and administration.
    Professional staff and therapy profession.
    Corrective action process is designed to train and correct staff behavior rather than just consequence.

Cons

Little recognition for entry level employees.
    Few chances of advancing in company.
    Consistently understaffed and underpaid.
    Overworked and under trained.
    Physical buildings are under-maintained. Borderline out of code.

Community involvement for awareness of the facility.
    Listen to the front line staff, their opinions, their vision.
    New ideas are welcome, empower entry level staff to follow through.
    Visit the units, get to know the staff.
    Develop a way to recognize / acknowledge entry level staff electronically.

Overall a friendly place to work but promotions given unfairly.

Former Employee - ICU Staff RN  in  Joplin, MO
    Former Employee - ICU Staff RN in Joplin, MO

I worked at Freeman Health System

Pros

Good knowledgeable doctors working in the system as well as friendly and knowledgeable staff. Patients taken care of well.

Cons

Promotions given unfairly and not based on skill or performance.

Need to look at qualifications of some of newly hired upper management new hires.

I had a very disappointing experience working for Freeman Health System

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse  in  Joplin, MO
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Joplin, MO

I have been working at Freeman Health System

Pros

They gave me time off when I asked. They provided pay for bereavement. They were "people friendly" but had their own agenda for being so, unfortunately.

Cons

The stress was extreme and there was not enough empathy between colleagues when relating to stress especially after the Joplin Tornado. For example all that was done within the system to attempt to increase morale after the tornado was to give us a free t-shirt! and we were "allowed" to wear them every friday. Free advertising for them, for us nothing more than we could get supporting a local band. The benefits weren't explained well during orientation, and they weren't great compared to what I'm used to. The pay was not good either. The facility I worked needed repairs.

Find more "pro-active" ways to reach out to employees! Aide in their attempts to be successful within the system. Allow group discussions within departments allowing feedback from the employees to their management without prejudice or bias or "hard feelings" if there is an "agreement to disagree." Whatever happens within the office or clinic/hospital setting; once the staff is working with the public it should be "work as usual" therefore no amount of personal information known or unknown about a fellow colleague need be an issue, but only the patient care and making sure it's the best possible care available. More attempts should be made to rectify any and every concern relating to an employees performance once the employee has been engaged in their work for Freeman Health System for more than one year. Also a dismissal from the system need not be calous and a person who can not be empathetic during such a circumstance should not be in such a position...this is a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

Worked for Freeman Health System? Contribute to the Community!