Freeman

Updated January 6, 2015
Updated January 6, 2015
3.3

Joseph V. Popolo, Jr

Pros
  • Freeman is a family owned business that provides good benefits and great working environment (in 5 reviews)

• Great benefits, management listens to employees (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay, LONG hours constantly, kiss your family goodbye, because they own you (in 5 reviews)

• Work/life balance is a struggle (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience

Former Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Freeman

Pros

I learned a lot and had great co workers

Cons

Lost some of the family feel over the years

Great place to work. I've been here over 25 years.

I have been working at Freeman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Freeman is very pro-employee. There are numerous opportunities to provide feedback, offer input and pitch your own ideas. The CEO's door is open all the time and he is always willing to listen to any employee at any level. He holds regular lunches with employees to gather their impression of the company and solicit their honest opinions.

The benefits are above average; not only the industry average, but the nation-wide average. There are two kinds of health plans so that employees can choose the one that best fits them and their situation, there is a dental plan, vision, life and legal assistance. Life insurance and long term disability is provided at no cost to the employee. There is a 401k plan with company match, and a profit sharing plan funded 100% by the company.

Pay is competitive. Freeman has a compensation program with annual merit increases and a bonus program for salaried employees.

Cons

The only con with this company is its overwhelming need to never say "no." Whether that's "no" to a customer or "no" to an employee, you just don't hear this word. This "yes" mentality creates a lot of work and headaches for the administrative team who ultimately are tasked to make it happen.

Anyone can find something to complain about, but there truly is nothing whine-worthy about Freeman.

Loosen up the "chain of command" in the front line divisions. Let employees be their own boss and use managers and supervisors to coach and provide guidance where needed without dictating outcomes. The results will then be the product of the employees' own efforts and it will become evident when/if those efforts fall short.

Good company overall, bad managers in Vegas

Current Employee - Admiin Assistant
    Current Employee - Admiin Assistant

I have been working at Freeman full-time

Pros

the company as a whole is good to work for, but the Vegas branch has bad management

Cons

The management in Vegas does not follow any of the True Blue House values. Depending on who you are, they have a tendancy to look the other way while their favorites lie, steal, and degrade other employees.

Dallas corporate needs to clean house with Vegas management team starting at the top to make this branch even MORE profitable and smooth running.

AV permalancer > lottsa work as long as you never expect a raise

Former Employee - Part Time Freelancer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Part Time Freelancer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Freeman part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Freeman offers sporadic training beyond very very basic general tech. I worked loyally for 5 years and only when I really pushed did I get a $3.28 raise. Freeman will work you right up to 38 hrs, even if you are mid-show, and cut you to avoid overtime. The good point is Freeman has a lot of work, for low pay.

Cons

In 5 years as a freelancer, I only attained overtime 3 weeks. They advance internally, ignoring freelancers until they threaten to leave. Worse, they give V1 to brown noses not the natural leaders who have the experience and just are not the type to smooze. Showrunners will throw freelancers under the bus rather take the beating for their problems on show.

Reward loyalty and the hard work or your long time freelancers. Stop ignoring those who worked side by side for your for years because that's when they will leave for better pay.

Careful.... (Account Manager)

Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Freeman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, ESOP, nice dinners, nice people

Cons

Work life balance is hard. Depending on your boss....who may or may not have management training....you will need to be in the office every day even after you just returned from a 3 day+ business trip. A lot of travel...

Ensure those put in a management role have the necessary training. Make you employees lives easier...not the opposite.

Unprofessional Management. Bad co-workers. Gossip castle under the black mamba.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Freeman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are slightly above standard

Cons

Unprofessional Management. Promotes on the friends and family plan with total disregard to their incompetence. No employee moral, lazy management, no advancement opportunity!

Take some management courses

A joke

Current Employee - Convention Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Convention Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Freeman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are slightly above standard,

Cons

No room for advancements, spread thin so expect to work on-demand over time, little to no equipment so expect to jerry-rig all sorts of things, and the biggest issue of all... no formal training! its the blind leading the blind from bottom to top!

Too many to list.. for starters, try letting exployees send in anonymous advices / comments / concerns and start with that for a small glimpse on issues.

Freeman is a great place to work. I know ... I've been here 28 years!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Freeman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Freeman family has high integrity and ethics. The company always strives to maintain a caring and inclusive culture. Employees work hard, but are rewarded well. Benefits are great, including generous PTO, health, dental, vision, life, disability, 401k and ESOP for full-time staff (to mention only a few).

Cons

There are always cons if you look hard enough at any organization; however, the pros far outweigh them!

Stick to the high ethical standards that have made our company great. Reward those who honor the strong heritage we enjoy.

Good Company to work

Former Employee - Freight Handler in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Freight Handler in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Freeman part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good many, take care of the workers

Cons

N o enought work in Summer

Get more work during summer months

Wonderful - I loved my team!

Former Employee - Regional Director of Human Resources in Avon, MA
    Former Employee - Regional Director of Human Resources in Avon, MA

I worked at Freeman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training is amazing. Family owned by people who really care - they are the salt of the earth!

Cons

None - wouldn't trade it for a second.

Keep doing what you are doing. The time you spend listening to employees is incredible the money and resources you spend trying to find the "pain points" is incredible. You truly care - don't stop.

Freeman Photos