Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold

Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold President, CEO, and Director Richard C. Adkerson

Richard C. Adkerson

Pros
  • Training is always ongoing to develop skills, great safety culture, great pay and awesome benefits(in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits, corporation cares for their employees(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management uses the good old buddy system for hiring(in 9 reviews)

• Very unreasonable HR, Senior Management with no respect to company policies or treating people with respect(in 5 reviews)

Great pay. Great people. Slow to adapt.

Human Resources Service Center (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat pay. Great people. Opportunity for growth and moving around within the company.

ConsSlow to adapt. Need to have methods in place to implement new ideas for saving money and improving work processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend time talking with lower level management and implementing their ideas.

Good opportunity

Geologist I (Current Employee) Bagdad, AZ

ProsCompany encourages learning and open door policy.

ConsCompany is super cheap. They skimp on things at the mine sites that they should not.

A Long History of Providing Opportunity

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsEnergetic, High Expectations, and Great Benefits. International travel was very exciting and great opportunity to learn from very smart people. Great respect for contribution of the individual and team.

ConsAt times, challenged by the nature of politics surrounding natural resources and license to operate. Nature of the beast...

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider work from home schedules to reduce commute at corporate office as well as to attract the younger workforce to mining.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Plenty of experience if you do not burnout first.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsDiverse opportunities and plenty of them. Pay is rather good for area. Good for employee learning the industry.

ConsTurn and burn them mentality resulting in negative work-life balance. Remote sites requires time away from home and lots of travel. Site politics are much less than main office.

Advice to Senior ManagementTelecommute portion of week to lower travel requirements.

Waste of time and horrible people and work place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOverall I can not think of any pros at all. The pay was not worth my life, my happiness, and took too much time away from my babies.

Consthey are far from equal opportunity. There is plenty if discrimination at the morenci mine. From race to dicrimiation of sex(woman) unless your especially "friendly". There is also ALOT of favoritism, a lot of people who get the night positions are from around morenci, Duncan and Safford and they make it a point to put their family and friends in good position. Contractors there were very dangerous and far from safe. Once you hit that mine your playing their games and you better hope that your in good with certain people otherwise they will try and intimidate you, threaten your job, put you in unsafe and uncomfortable situations. BEWARE!

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of them.

Overall not a bad company to work for.

Maintenance Supervision (Current Employee) Green Valley, AZ

ProsSteady work that of course depends on the copper economy. Good benefits. Pay rates are compeditive

ConsAs with all mining careers, the work environment is dirty at all times.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes it seems that the wrong messages are sent to the workforce when safety incidents happen. It has been said that people have lost their jobs or been chastized over very minor incidents. I think it is a lack of communication which inturn sends the wrong message or perseption which then in my opinion causes the workforce to be very hestitant to report anything.

Freeport-McMoran in Peru

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits and salary. People who work for this company aare treated like kings. People work, it is no holiday, but the overall benefits more than compensate for it.

ConsThe size of the organization is really too large. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. There seems to be a great amount of waste and too many layers of service.

The IT department culture is confrontational and combative.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI've heard the pay is excellent for direct employees.

ConsThe IT department culture is confrontational and combative, especially towards contractors who get used up and discarded. The tone is set at the IT Leadership levels which use fear and anger as the primary method to motivate people. This practice is largely adopted by the rest of the IT organization, likely from a sense of self-preservation, though there a few rational and brave managers. I’ve heard first-hand the use of escalation threats which successfully got IT contractors to work OT.

If you are a contractor, don’t take my word for it – ask other contractors and vendors. If you decide to take the contract, price it accordingly.

Structured and well-managed internship

Industrial Hygiene Intern (Former Employee) Morenci, AZ

ProsI enjoyed my internship and had the opportunity to learn quite a bit. I also was given opportunities to cross-train and even have a few experiences that were just for fun...such as riding in a haul truck and train (while still doing work). Very neat opportunity to see the full scope of the mining process at Morenci and I took a lot away from it. People are very friendly and there is definitely a good safety culture and family atmosphere.

ConsMorenci is a fairly boring town and being older than the other interns I didn't really have much to do. Weekends were spent driving over two hours to Tucson. Housing was limited to I found myself living in a hotel all summer. No complaints about the company or internship itself.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive information on career opportunities within the company post-graduation for those who aren't engineering interns.

Company has no plans for college graduates

Engineer I (Current Employee) Morenci, AZ

ProsGood pay, great benefits, cheap town

ConsUpper management uses the good old buddy system for hiring... managers have no higher education, there are no plans for people with degrees

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look around and see how much talent you guys are wasting. Have some development plans for your educated employees

Worked for Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold? Contribute to the Community!