Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold

Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold President, CEO, and Director Richard C. Adkerson

Richard C. Adkerson

Pros
  • Training is always ongoing to develop skills, great safety culture, great pay and awesome benefits (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits, corporation cares for their employees (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management uses the good old buddy system for hiring (in 9 reviews)

• Very unreasonable HR, Senior Management with no respect to company policies or treating people with respect (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Waste of time and horrible people and work place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOverall I can not think of any pros at all. The pay was not worth my life, my happiness, and took too much time away from my babies.

Consthey are far from equal opportunity. There is plenty if discrimination at the morenci mine. From race to dicrimiation of sex(woman) unless your especially "friendly". There is also ALOT of favoritism, a lot of people who get the night positions are from around morenci, Duncan and Safford and they make it a point to put their family and friends in good position. Contractors there were very dangerous and far from safe. Once you hit that mine your playing their games and you better hope that your in good with certain people otherwise they will try and intimidate you, threaten your job, put you in unsafe and uncomfortable situations. BEWARE!

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of them.

The IT department culture is confrontational and combative.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI've heard the pay is excellent for direct employees.

ConsThe IT department culture is confrontational and combative, especially towards contractors who get used up and discarded. The tone is set at the IT Leadership levels which use fear and anger as the primary method to motivate people. This practice is largely adopted by the rest of the IT organization, likely from a sense of self-preservation, though there a few rational and brave managers. I’ve heard first-hand the use of escalation threats which successfully got IT contractors to work OT.

If you are a contractor, don’t take my word for it – ask other contractors and vendors. If you decide to take the contract, price it accordingly.

Freeport-McMoRan Oil & Gas

Manager Projecs (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsVariety of job responsibilities. Accomplished major projects with no impact to business continuity. Prior to new leadership in this department, I had the ability and trust of Sr. Management to move forward with maintenance issues, working with building management and engineers. Covered all facilities in Texas, California and Louisiana.

ConsThe challenges with new Leadership was enduring daily insults in person and among colleagues. Alliances and successes with other Departmental Management was always good but internal issues were not brought to Sr. Management attention and Sr. Management did not engage on this level. HR Department was a dead end for these types of situations. Mandatory Workshops such as "Supervisory Skills" and "Identifying Personality Types for better communication skills" in the organization were mandatory but never allowed to practice. Waste of time and money.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at your leadership and their communication styles. Allow for mediation with no recourse such as the threat of termination or being encouraged to leave the organization.

All the following "Rating Chart" below is based on Freeport-McMoRan Oil & Gas prior to the merger with Plains Exploration & Production Company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A large company managed by few Yes people from same PTFI Indonesia Club

Strategic Process Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsLarge capital base
    Profitable Papua mines where gold is produced as a by product and the production cost is nullified into profit.
    Lucky to have few excellent resources strategically located world wide minimising the risks
    Excellent CFO, Chairman, CEO and the board

ConsTop management is consisted of mostly people who worked together in PTFI Indonesia. So birds of same feather.
    Prejudicial relationship because some of the top executives worked together outside Freeport as well as they worked together in Papua
    No framework of performance management - all whims and fancies.
    You need to have a God Father
    Professional management is just missing from the people who are just below the Board
    Lack of transparency
    Incomeptent admin officers and clerks are promoted in decision making levels so as to support their managers at all times without any threat .

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease wake up - think PRFI is not the best practice for all mines - Instill professionally qualified managers and JUST NOT YES MEN/WOMEN. They will let sink the company together by not challenging any decision.
    Do not promote incompetent clerical staff to senior management level without market testing

Good Company/Clickish Management

Prosgood salary and benefits bonus

ConsWork is often at remote sites

Same old

Intern (Former Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsThe money was ok, but management was not engaging.

ConsManagement did not listen to workers' issues

Definately the worst workplace!

Hydromet Operator Ll (Former Employee) Safford, AZ

ProsGood Pay, Good Benefits and ok schedule! When the Sx/Ew Plant was first started up they choose and hired the best in the industry and took care of their workforce Management at that time cared and showed and received the utmost respect.

ConsAs the first year concluded management changed hands and then the work enviroment turned hostile and reclusive, Upper management let go of the reigns and then the click mantality took over and then backstabbing and childs play ensued, supervision had alot to be desired lots of unsatisfied exempt employees and it trickled to the non exempt workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone to give i understand it is still the same if not worse! Management and the Company do not desire change!

Poor Recruiting, Waiting, Never a Call Back, Leading On

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe though that this was going to be a great company to work for

ConsA good couple of months of my life has been spent trying to get an interview with Freeport McMoran. By going through at least 3 different representative with recruiting, two phone interviews, and people never returning voice mails on the status of the position, I was finally called for an interview with only 4 days notice. I was traveling over the weekend and asked if I could reschedule my interview. So, a couple of weeks go and I receive an email today that I will not be considered for the position going forward--wow, all because I asked to reschedule an interview when this company sought me out to interview. What an incredibly poor impression and representation of this company. This tells me that I absolutely do not want to work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aware of your recruiting practices and the lack of professionalism with follow-up and returning phone calls.

Freeport McMoRan

Mining Engineer (Current Employee) Morenci, MI

Prosnone. This is a very poorly run company that only supports senior management.

Conspoor management. Management is self absorbed and does not care about its employees

Advice to Senior ManagementComplete overhaul of managemet

Not the best job if you want to learn and grow your life but if your lazy and ok with staying put you will do great!!!!

Concentrator Mechanic (Current Employee) Vanadium, NM

ProsPay is good, hours are good with a good schedule

ConsCOMMUNICATION!!! UNION SUCKS!!! LAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZY BOSSES and all around if your young and want to grow your life you cant because your not green carded to do anything there.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what your employees are doing if you had better productivity with better communication skills you could cut the contractors out and truly grow the mine. The reason this place lays off so often is not because of copper prices more because of managers allowing people to milk the clock and waste the companies money.

Worked for Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold? Contribute to the Community!