www.freescale.com

Updated October 17, 2014
3.6

Freescale Semiconductor President & CEO Gregg Lowe
Gregg Lowe

Pros
  • In most sitesorganizations managers were very flexible in terms of telecommuting, work-life balance (in 72 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule for salaried employees, depending on manager (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Global company, you work 24 hours a day and weekends; no work life balance," (in 16 reviews) (in 18 reviews)

• It lacks senior management decision oriented approach (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

219 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Awesome Internship Experience

Former Employee - Hardware Design Engineering in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Hardware Design Engineering in Austin, TX

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I loved how I was brought on as an Engineering Intern and given a real task to complete. I was initially hired on for one role, and then was transferred to another position that was a better fit for me. The CEO (Gregg Lowe) is improving the company tremendously as well.

Cons

Everyone is given a very specific role because it is such a large company, so often times you may have to try multiple people to find the best answer to your problem (which is good too because there are many people to ask).

I loved everything about my experience. Definitely appreciated the emphasis that school comes first while doing my summer/fall co-op and taking a full load of courses.

Difficult But Improving

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn and be challenged. Great people. This CEO seems to actually care about the company and is trying very hard to improve the culture from the austerity and gloom of the period following the recession. Health benefits are stellar. It's not common knowledge, but Mayo Clinic Rochester and M.D. Anderson are considered in-network (though that may change next year). Pay is ok, but the people and the benefits have made it worth it for me.

Cons

Severely understaffed. People are worked until the point of burnout--we were severely reduced in size to survive the 2008 downturn, and people are still scarred from the difficulty of that time. (Having a lot of new fresh outs helps that now!) Some areas are funded for mediocrity when management should either fund them to win or get out of the business. Lip-service is given to resource management that could alleviate some of these problems, but it is treated more as a matter of hegemony and control rather than a well-funded, corporate initiative.

I appreciate the efforts that you have made to improve the culture, from the top down. Having the Discovery Labs, for example, is fantastic. However, this is necessary but not sufficient for improving the culture of innovation. It is a bit naive to fund small pockets of innovation while working the rest of the company half to death. Many more people would be creative if every project were funded just a bit more generously, so people could actually take the time to interact, brainstorm, and create without feeling like they are running from one fire to another with no end in sight. This type of resource management may show profit on an Operations Review slide somewhere, but it creates frictional losses and degrades the culture of cooperation.

Good place to for entry level engineers

Former Employee - Design Verification Engineer II in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Design Verification Engineer II in Austin, TX

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good company, good technology, good engineers with lots of experience

Cons

Too defensive management, Difficult to get promotions, and too much politics.

Be aggressive, promote talented people not vocal people

I was a software engineering intern for Summer 2014

Former Employee - Software Development Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Development Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- I had an amazing internship experience. As a first-year intern, I deployed applications to the company and learned many valuable things about software engineering that I haven't (yet) learned in college.
    - university recruiting team did a fantastic job setting up events so interns have a good balance with work and fun

Cons

I shared a cube with 5 other interns, was very loud. But that wasn't a huge concern for me.

Has been positive in the long run but like all companies, it can really suck when market is bad

Current Employee - Senior Process Development Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Process Development Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've been at Freescale for almost 15 years. If you're talented and able to market yourself then you can do well here and there is opportunity for career development and moving up the corporate ladder. They have a program here called the technical ladder which allows technical people rise to the grade and pay of a director level manager while still being an individual contributor.

I've mostly had good to great mid level managers, typically bad managers get managed out. The senior leadership and CEO at Freescale has always been ok to poor. The current CEO (Greg Lowe) seems to be great from a people perspective, he removed a lot of the perks for senior leadership to put them on a closer level with the remainder of the employees in the company and there are days when he'll be walking through your office and stop in your cube to say hello and see what you're working on. Quite honestly, he's the best CEO I've ever had and I've been through five so far.

The company is doing a lot better in the last 18 months at getting younger engineers in here to get some new energy in the company. We've hired some great fresh outs that are sharp, willing to work long hours and adding a fresh perspective to legacy technical issues.

Vacation policy is awesome! Vacation here is PTO + holiday pay, everyone gets 64 hrs/year of holiday pay, you accrue PTO based on years of experience. The day you start you accrue 15 hrs/month of PTO, year 8 of employment you earn 18.5 hrs/month PTO, year 15 you earn ~21 hrs/month of PTO. Yes, that's right, at year 15 you will have 8 weeks off per year!

Cons

Budgeting is horrible. The company (at least in my sector: die manufacturing) is awful, we're often told 1-7 days before the capital budget is due.

Company needs to improve its internal training programs. Internal training is typically done on a as-requested basis from one or more of the subject matter experts and even then the approval of the manager of said subject matter expert needs to have time away from his "day job" to hold the training; typically prep work for the training is done on nights and weekends.

Bonuses could be better. For example, if an individual contributor earns $100k base salary, is in the top 5% of performers in the company then they would've received a $6k mid year bonus (bonus are every 6 months).

Purge some of the dinosaurs. These are not people which are considered experts or superb talent, these are the people which simply continue to exist here because they've done just enough to not get fired. It's shame that I see some of these fresh outs from college running circles around the older guys but they're getting paid 40% less money.

Put some fire back under your applied statistics training. The company no longer offers internal training for these courses and the training materials are out of date. Freescale is certifying green and black belts with little to know applied statistics knowledge thereby essentially making the certification watered down to the point of almost being ineffective.

Don't change your vacation policy. You should see this as a retention program, the moment you cut this back I'm looking for new jobs; I've heard similar remarks from the majority of other employers I've spoken with.

Amazing great benefits, but mundane work place.

Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great PTO days
    Free gym membership
    community service hours are PAID for by the company
    great work life balance and flexibility
    401k benefits

Cons

personal growth is difficult depending on your job. a lot of politics that comes along with any decently sized company. very little training for the expectations required.

Talented people to work with, but extremely overworked

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at Freescale Semiconductor, learning a lot about processor technology. The hours were flexible (since they were almost unlimited anyway). The salary and benefits were competitive.

Cons

Due to severe competitive pressures, the company kept cutting the workforce. Everyone was overloaded with work, and performing functions well beyond what they originally may have planned to do (e.g. systems engineers became tactical marketers performing pricing while still doing their systems work!)
    Overloaded with work would be an understatement. I was constantly logged in on evenings and weekends as there was just too much work to do with too few people.

Great place for a career

Current Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX

I have been working at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great positive momentum both in the market and in corporate culture. Good mix of internal and external hires and nice focus on recent graduate hiring. Internet of things is a hugely exciting growth potential.

Cons

Cyclical semiconductor market creates an ugly ebb and flow of expense pressures. Still some pockets of old and slow Motorola culture that haven't been refreshed.

Keep moving forward with new culture and leadership refresh to gain openness and nimbleness throughout the company.

For what it is worth, they promote the BS types. Not the people who do the actual work. The engineering staff sucks.

Current Employee - Manufacturing Tech in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Tech in Austin, TX

I have been working at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you can BS on a full time basis. This is the place to work. The supervisors will eat it up. There is no connection between actual productivity and performance evaluation. But if you are a total slacker and run your yap, you will be promoted. Regardless of your actual qualifications.

Cons

I have had only 2 or 3 supervisors over the 18 years I have worked for Motorola/Freescale with post secondary education. See above. Freescale makes very bad hiring/promotion decisions.

Get a formal education at a tier 1 university. UT-Austin is just down the road for crying out loud. I did it, you can too.

Lose the PC/Diversity/Envirowhacko crap. It is annoying, and counter productive. This crap came from Stalin himself you morons. Let's make money. Devise a system to track actual performance to eliminate the BS'ers from the equation.

Do we really have to wait for an employee to scrap a quarter million dollars of product to fire them? Really? I own every production record in every module across four factories. Zero scrap. We are talking almost 19 years here. Tell me again why I am not promoted?

Great Pay

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay compared to other companies
    Employees are great
    Time work is great
    Great company and great products and businesses we support.

Cons

Managers are the worst, they are 2 faced. Work hours are unbearable and they are not making it better. Numerous conference calls. No room for moving around.

Freescale Semiconductor Photos