Freescale Semiconductor

Updated December 21, 2014
3.6

Freescale Semiconductor President & CEO Gregg Lowe
Gregg Lowe

Pros
  • In most sitesorganizations managers were very flexible in terms of telecommuting, work-life balance (in 72 reviews)

• Smart people, creating cutting edge technologies in a great work environment (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Global company, you work 24 hours a day and weekends; no work life balance," (in 16 reviews) (in 18 reviews)

• It lacks senior management decision oriented approach (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

225 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work your way up if you're motivated

Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for those who are willing to go the extra mile.

Cons

Not really much to say here. Pay could be a little better. Not that it's bad.

Finding its mojo

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great technology and innovation focused. Great work life balance. Flexibility in roles and rotation.

Cons

Finding balance between legacy, and new processes. Need to ramp-up fast to make best of all the potential it has.

leadership needs to improve speed of decision making, and improve transparency, and context of decisions to rank and file

Average Low Tech Company

Current Employee - MCU Hardware in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - MCU Hardware in Austin, TX

I have been working at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun people that dislike working there and have the greatest humor about their jobs. Great pay, IMO anyway. Self insured company, great HR, bonus money, the IoT vision, diverse work force, lots of free food, working from home, no micromanagers, small teams, hands off management, some genius people here and there that teach others, white boards everywhere, lots of team interaction, investment in super-science, electric car chargers (yes!), highly motivated work force, great PTO, great benefits including secondary education up to 5K/year.

Cons

Work 24/7 because top engineers cannot plan. Follow a make-it-up as you go along plan that causes lots of unnecessary work called churn. Terrible engineering decisions are overlooked which kill sales and creates tons of unnecessary work. People are easily upset by not handling stress and take it out on one another. Management is hands off but is blind to the internal sabotage being done. Tools are terrible. Cadence ? Ever hear of Synopsys ? It is a typical hardware company. The technology is 32 bit, it is 1990 all over again. Very low technology company, this ain't Intel. Got it ? If you cannot do better than working for Freescale then I feel bad for you, I'm in the same boat.

Interact with workers. If you care then ask why a product or solution is not selling. The reason is that customers see much better solutions out there requiring far fewer man hours to implement. Get much better tools and abandon doing any sort of software: we're a hardware company. Focus on getting great tools for hardware design and verification and buy off the shelve compilers for software.

Happy and Flexible

Current Employee - Senior Equipment Integration Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Equipment Integration Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, great benefits, supportive office culture and team work. The harder the work, the more the team and upper management appreciate your participation.

Cons

Upper management is very unconsidered with their employees especially balancing number of resources with number of projects; the same resources are allocated for tons of projects, and people are overwhelmed. Training is cautiously provided. Job transfer within company is limited. Too much political arguments in the upper management.

Need to be more considered with project and resource ratio. Training should be encouraged and provided annually for career growth. Job openings should be more open to internal company.

Salesmen don't care about progress creators

Current Employee - R&D Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - R&D Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Can't get the jon anywhere else.

Cons

No good health insurance and year after year getting worse The same insurance AETNA: now compare Costco vs. Freescale Semi. and you will se who cares to retain and hire valuable employees.
    Pitiful contribution to 401(k).
    Shameful PTO - try to get into problems with family health - you are disposable for them.
    Regrettably - new CEO (in his core - a salesman) has no clue how scientists and cerebral people work - he ordered firing of people who do tele-commuting and talks I=with disrespect about those who must telecommute because they are forced to work 24/24 hrs with teleconferences and meetings around the globe.
    Current CEo has no proper regard for higher education - he thinks he is the proof that salesman are beat doctorates.
    Freescale is not paying for professional development or education.

Start appreciating people who make Freescale - the salesmen are only important when you have substandard product to sell. The customers of Freescale (particularly those from Europe) are not idiots - they actually dislike salesman.
    Start paying better, start sharing the income. The shareholders are not making this company - they just use it.

Great company with some work to do.

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone loves the new CEO.
    Very personable engineers. Even the EE's I met.
    Lots of tenured employees who are happy to help you succeed.
    Great benefits.
    Onsite fitness center and volleyball courts (I didn't think I would care, but it's pretty cool).
    Paid time off, even for temporary employees

Cons

Some of the younger people I was working with (I'm a young person) were not very professional.
    Websites are...hard to navigate. Looks like someone needs to go in and do some reorganizing.
    Bright orange does not lend itself well to power points

Learn 2 power point. If you have arrows pointing to and from every box, and every box is a different color, than you're doing it wrong.

Awesome Internship Experience

Former Employee - Hardware Design Engineering in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Hardware Design Engineering in Austin, TX

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I loved how I was brought on as an Engineering Intern and given a real task to complete. I was initially hired on for one role, and then was transferred to another position that was a better fit for me. The CEO (Gregg Lowe) is improving the company tremendously as well.

Cons

Everyone is given a very specific role because it is such a large company, so often times you may have to try multiple people to find the best answer to your problem (which is good too because there are many people to ask).

I loved everything about my experience. Definitely appreciated the emphasis that school comes first while doing my summer/fall co-op and taking a full load of courses.

Difficult But Improving

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn and be challenged. Great people. This CEO seems to actually care about the company and is trying very hard to improve the culture from the austerity and gloom of the period following the recession. Health benefits are stellar. It's not common knowledge, but Mayo Clinic Rochester and M.D. Anderson are considered in-network (though that may change next year). Pay is ok, but the people and the benefits have made it worth it for me.

Cons

Severely understaffed. People are worked until the point of burnout--we were severely reduced in size to survive the 2008 downturn, and people are still scarred from the difficulty of that time. (Having a lot of new fresh outs helps that now!) Some areas are funded for mediocrity when management should either fund them to win or get out of the business. Lip-service is given to resource management that could alleviate some of these problems, but it is treated more as a matter of hegemony and control rather than a well-funded, corporate initiative.

I appreciate the efforts that you have made to improve the culture, from the top down. Having the Discovery Labs, for example, is fantastic. However, this is necessary but not sufficient for improving the culture of innovation. It is a bit naive to fund small pockets of innovation while working the rest of the company half to death. Many more people would be creative if every project were funded just a bit more generously, so people could actually take the time to interact, brainstorm, and create without feeling like they are running from one fire to another with no end in sight. This type of resource management may show profit on an Operations Review slide somewhere, but it creates frictional losses and degrades the culture of cooperation.

Good place to for entry level engineers

Former Employee - Design Verification Engineer II in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Design Verification Engineer II in Austin, TX

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good company, good technology, good engineers with lots of experience

Cons

Too defensive management, Difficult to get promotions, and too much politics.

Be aggressive, promote talented people not vocal people

Amazing great benefits, but mundane work place.

Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great PTO days
    Free gym membership
    community service hours are PAID for by the company
    great work life balance and flexibility
    401k benefits

Cons

personal growth is difficult depending on your job. a lot of politics that comes along with any decently sized company. very little training for the expectations required.

Freescale Semiconductor Photos