Freescale Semiconductor

Freescale Semiconductor Reviews in Austin, TX

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Freescale Semiconductor President & CEO Gregg Lowe

Gregg Lowe

Pros
  • In most sitesorganizations managers were very flexible in terms of telecommuting, work-life balance(in 76 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule for salaried employees, depending on manager(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Global company, you work 24 hours a day and weekends; no work life balance,(in 16 reviews)

• It lacks senior management decision oriented approach(in 15 reviews)

208 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Diverse opportunities, promote from within philosphy.

Human Resources (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsIncreased investment in internal technology
    Great work-life balance
    Large network
    Encourage internal mobility and promoting from within

ConsCould use more paid time off

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep encouraging employees to move within the company for a better and more diverse experience.

Process Engineer

Process Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGood environment with lots of training opportunities. Management cares about making sure that you get the training and support that is required to complete projects.

ConsIt is not required, but in order to get all of the work completed you need to work a decent amount of hours.

Corporate culture is ill

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsIt's a steady paycheck. A few pool and foosball tables have been set up around the campus, and the on-site cafeteria and gym are very nice.

ConsWork-life balance is terrible. Chronically understaffed and overburdened, with a corporate initiative to hire nothing but fresh-out-of-college from here on out. Management expects full production quality and quantity, but only provides pilot resources. Critical vacancies remain unfilled, and teams are fracturing. Every personnel loss stretches us closer to the break point.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the experience that is leaving the company because the working conditions are getting so bad. New paint and fancy walkways do nothing to improve morale, and asking us to train new-hires in addition to an already maxed out workload is straining us to breaking.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Totally Neutral

That Person (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsBest work life balance I've ever seen but in a successful company with a good outlook the work life balance should NEVER be this good. Five stars on WL balance just means the bar is so low it's being milked right into the ground.

ConsDon't even bother if you are a self starter highly motivated technical person.
    Antiquated. Old School - in the bad way.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is radical but it's the RedPill Truth. Anyone in management that has never had any other job outside Freescale or previously Motorola should automatically go on sabbatical where they have to acquire and hold down a job at some other company for some duration as a prereq for return. Immediately. Yes, that would mean a whole lot of people suddenly went missing, don't worry, they mostly wouldn't be missed. The few good people in that bunch would appreciate the perspective. Hopefully the must useless 25% of the bunch would just commit suicide when faced with the reality that they had not useful skills.

Working at Freescale

Etch Operator (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGood environment, pay & benefits

ConsAdjusting to changing management aka revolving door.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to lead by example.

it is good experience

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Austin, TX

Prosworking on new technology in embedded

Consno problem in this organization

Like every job, it has its goods and bads, ups and downs.

R&D Engineering Technician (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsIf you like working for a large, corporate, industry leader in Austin, TX, Freescale may work for you.

ConsSemiconductor industry is very cyclical. There were many hiring/firing (layoffs) cycles in the time that I worked there (13 years), but I guess that is just the nature of the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best advice I could give would be to spend more money and resources on planning so Freescale is affected as little as possible by the cyclical nature of semiconductors.

Not as Friendly as the old Motorola

Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGood salary and good benefits,

ConsLayoffs are frequent, business can be sporadic

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more visible

SOC Integration Engineer

SOC Integration Engineer (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGood pay, some nice coworkers, interesting projects.

ConsGlobal design team, tight design schedule, layoffs.

Really great company

Global Customer Supply Specialist (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsEstablished processes
    Good work life balance
    Benefits
    ESOP

ConsTop management changed frequently
    Glass ceiling is low
    Good ole boy network still thrives

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your front line, listen to their pain points and hold managers accountable and to higher standards

Worked for Freescale Semiconductor? Contribute to the Community!