Freescale Semiconductor Reviews

• Chandler, AZ
3.6
Freescale Semiconductor President & CEO Gregg Lowe
Gregg Lowe

1. So far so good. There are worse places.

Current Employee - Equipment Engineer in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Equipment Engineer in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot depends on the manager you have, and it changes a lot. My current (and former) manager trusts me to do my job with little or no supervision, which gives me free time when things are running smoothly. The caveat to that is you have to work hard to keep it that way. No paid sick leave (must use paid vacation time) was a disappointment at first, but I actually have not used all my PTO, and I don't get sick much. I'm getting paid some decent bonuses, in cash and stocks, plus there's a 15% discount on stock purchases.

I don't understand some of the complaints about benefits in other reviews; benefits are competitive.

New CEO seems to be doing a good job.

Cons

1. Some people are just collecting a paycheck. They make all the right noises to appear busy. As long as they don't screw up they won't get fired, so they aim to do as little as possible. That's an insult to the people who are working hard.

2. Lack of accountability. There's little or no consequences for making a mistake. I'm not saying they should fire more people, but management should intervene more when things are going wrong. Similarly, there's not enough support given to employees who want to make changes to improve things

3. The process is more important than the goal. There are several company-wide programs to improve employee performance, but there is too much emphasis on propagating the program and not enough on the end result. Running the programs has become the goal for too many people. Everyone talks about their participation but I don't see the results.

4. Office 5S. I'm a professional engineer with 20+ years in the industry who does his job. Handing out "tickets" penalizing cubicle tidiness is insulting.

5. It's time to replace some of the factory automation software that was developed on Digtal Equipment's VAX and then modified to run on Windows.

Spend some money on state-of-the art factory automation software.
    Office 5S shouldn't apply to anyone making 6 figures.

2. Good company for the time there

Former Employee - IT Manager in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People, compensation, benefits, flexibility, location, travel opportunities, mobile device management, more features accessible via cloud, innovation, HR, 401K

Cons

Politics, semiconductor business cycles, consistency between business units, already reorganizing, relative performance, competition, preferential to corporate headquarters, prefers younger employees, growing cost reduction pressure

Freescale Chandler Fab, work hard and get no recognition.

Current Employee - Equipment Maintenance Technician in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I get a paycheck every two weeks.

Cons

Very stressful work and almost always understaffed. Every shift does things different and complains about each other. Very poor business practices. The engineering group is useless, 75% of the engineers could be fired and the place would be fine. There is too much Motorola dead weight. Most of the stress is related to the engineering group not understanding or doing their job. Engineering shows up to collect a check, not to make anyone's job easier. I can't wait to find a new job. I have been working in this hellish nightmare for 5 years and want out badly. Only work at freescale if you are collecting a check. You will not find any future working here.

Management doesn't care about education or how hard you work. They are old Motorola and have a good old boy network. Management moves people up if they like you and you do everything they say. I have a BS and an MS degree and management promotes people that have neither. It is like the old saying " it's not what you know, but who you know". That is how Freescale operates. Management needs to make serious changes. Many employees feel the same way, but are to scared to voice their opinion. The freescale way is reactive and not proactive. The past 5 years of my working career have been a waste, I can't wait to find a new job.

5. Top Heavy Managerment

Current Employee - Equipment Technician in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Equipment Technician in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A Lot of Senior People

Cons

Staff on the Fab floor is too light.

Need to reduce headcount in the office area and increase Fab head count. Reduce the amount of meetings per day. Not value added.

Former Freescale Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Manager in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people in the Phx area

Cons

Heavy governance from Austin Management

7. Challenging, cross-cultural, cutting edge, growth-filled, wonderfully stressful.

Former Employee - IT Engineer II Systems Specialist in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - IT Engineer II Systems Specialist in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You will be surrounded by individuals that are at the top of the industry as professionals. The environment is mature, respectful, you will be rated by your peers. As fair a work environment as you could wish for.

Cons

Relectless professionalism will never let you rest. Be ready to work at the top of your game with no hope of respite.

Stop hiring your buddies to come in a trash systems that work. This kind of 'good-ole-boy' networking hurts the business.

It Started Great But The Company Left US All

Former Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people were awesome and talented.

Cons

The management at the time was confused, but I hear things are changing now.

Stop destroying your company from within.

9. Freescale Semiconductor Company Review

I have been working at Freescale Semiconductor

Pros

Freescale Semiconductor has excellent benefits and treats there employees fairly. They are a continuously growing company and have are always creating new and better products. They will be around for several years to come.

Cons

Freescale Semiconductor's product line is limited "mainly" to the automotive industry. Therefore if there is a downturn in the automotive industry there is a slow down at the factory. In recent years there has been little or no annual raises to the employees.

Management should give more positive feedback to it's employees. As far as compensation goes, even a small raise is a good thing to an employee. Years of no raises will cause employees to look elsewhere for better opportunities.

Freescale has a lot of work to do

Former Employee - Equipment Engineering Manager in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Equipment Engineering Manager in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor

Pros

Good pay and benefits. I worked there for 13 years. Used to be Motorola. Leverage buyout resulted in a lot of debt - too much debt. Makes chips for automotive and cell phone markets. High quality and reliability of products is a must for this market. Professional and knowledgable employees. Allow personal time and good work life balance.

Cons

Losing competitiveness with Asia companies. Company is really struggling now. High technology used to be a good market to work in, but now it is down, way down. Probabaly best if Freescale merges with someone like ST or TI. They need a twelve inch fab in USA, but cannot afford one now.

Become more efficient, merge with another company

Freescale a fair and honest company that cares about its associates and it's customers

Current Employee - Manufacturing Operator in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Operator in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Freescale Semiconductor

Pros

I have worked for Freescale for 14 years. I am a single mom with four children. I work in the manufacturing part of the company. This is a great company with excellent benefits. They care about their associates and try to work with them not against them. They make great products, We have parts in the Blackberry, Electrolux Steam Dryer, Samsung Flat Screen Televisions, several micro controllers for automotive.There are so many things we make that we use in our every day lives. They care about 5s and follow the rules to make sure the plant is running a clean and safe work environment. I would buy any of these products they are a trust worthy company and I trust everything that I make even the air bags for my kids when I drive them in my car.The CEOS for Freescale all took a pay cut to try and help us through the economic crisis. I am proud of them for making these choices while other executives on Wall Street are giving themselves bonuses in this critical time.

Cons

They are 12 hour sifts in Manufacturing. They are long days but it is nice to have the three and four days off every other weekto spend with your family.

I thank them for making the neccessay cuts to keep us in business.

Freescale Semiconductor Photos