Freescale Semiconductor

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Former Freescale Manager

Manager (Former Employee)
    Chandler, AZ

ProsGreat people in the Phx area

ConsHeavy governance from Austin Management

Freescale Chandler Fab, work hard and get no recognition.

Equipment Maintenance Technician (Current Employee)
    Chandler, AZ

ProsI get a paycheck every two weeks.

ConsVery stressful work and almost always understaffed. Every shift does things different and complains about each other. Very poor business practices. The engineering group is useless, 75% of the engineers could be fired and the place would be fine. There is too much Motorola dead weight. Most of the stress is related to the engineering group not understanding or doing their job. Engineering shows up to collect a check, not to make anyone's job easier. I can't wait to find a new job. I have been working in this hellish nightmare for 5 years and want out badly. Only work at freescale if you are collecting a check. You will not find any future working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement doesn't care about education or how hard you work. They are old Motorola and have a good old boy network. Management moves people up if they like you and you do everything they say. I have a BS and an MS degree and management promotes people that have neither. It is like the old saying " it's not what you know, but who you know". That is how Freescale operates. Management needs to make serious changes. Many employees feel the same way, but are to scared to voice their opinion. The freescale way is reactive and not proactive. The past 5 years of my working career have been a waste, I can't wait to find a new job.

Top Heavy Managerment

Equipment Technician (Current Employee)

ProsA Lot of Senior People

ConsStaff on the Fab floor is too light.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to reduce headcount in the office area and increase Fab head count. Reduce the amount of meetings per day. Not value added.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging, cross-cultural, cutting edge, growth-filled, wonderfully stressful.

IT Engineer II Systems Specialist (Former Employee)
    Chandler, AZ

ProsYou will be surrounded by individuals that are at the top of the industry as professionals. The environment is mature, respectful, you will be rated by your peers. As fair a work environment as you could wish for.

ConsRelectless professionalism will never let you rest. Be ready to work at the top of your game with no hope of respite.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring your buddies to come in a trash systems that work. This kind of 'good-ole-boy' networking hurts the business.

It Started Great But The Company Left US All

Senior Applications Engineer (Former Employee)
    Chandler, AZ

ProsThe people were awesome and talented.

ConsThe management at the time was confused, but I hear things are changing now.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop destroying your company from within.

Freescale Semiconductor Company Review

Equipment Maintenance Technician (Current Employee)
    Chandler, AZ

ProsFreescale Semiconductor has excellent benefits and treats there employees fairly. They are a continuously growing company and have are always creating new and better products. They will be around for several years to come.

ConsFreescale Semiconductor's product line is limited "mainly" to the automotive industry. Therefore if there is a downturn in the automotive industry there is a slow down at the factory. In recent years there has been little or no annual raises to the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should give more positive feedback to it's employees. As far as compensation goes, even a small raise is a good thing to an employee. Years of no raises will cause employees to look elsewhere for better opportunities.

Freescale has a lot of work to do

Equipment Engineering Manager (Former Employee)
    Chandler, AZ

ProsGood pay and benefits. I worked there for 13 years. Used to be Motorola. Leverage buyout resulted in a lot of debt - too much debt. Makes chips for automotive and cell phone markets. High quality and reliability of products is a must for this market. Professional and knowledgable employees. Allow personal time and good work life balance.

ConsLosing competitiveness with Asia companies. Company is really struggling now. High technology used to be a good market to work in, but now it is down, way down. Probabaly best if Freescale merges with someone like ST or TI. They need a twelve inch fab in USA, but cannot afford one now.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more efficient, merge with another company

Freescale a fair and honest company that cares about its associates and it's customers

Manufacturing Operator (Current Employee)
    Chandler, AZ

ProsI have worked for Freescale for 14 years. I am a single mom with four children. I work in the manufacturing part of the company. This is a great company with excellent benefits. They care about their associates and try to work with them not against them. They make great products, We have parts in the Blackberry, Electrolux Steam Dryer, Samsung Flat Screen Televisions, several micro controllers for automotive.There are so many things we make that we use in our every day lives. They care about 5s and follow the rules to make sure the plant is running a clean and safe work environment. I would buy any of these products they are a trust worthy company and I trust everything that I make even the air bags for my kids when I drive them in my car.The CEOS for Freescale all took a pay cut to try and help us through the economic crisis. I am proud of them for making these choices while other executives on Wall Street are giving themselves bonuses in this critical time.

ConsThey are 12 hour sifts in Manufacturing. They are long days but it is nice to have the three and four days off every other weekto spend with your family.

Advice to Senior ManagementI thank them for making the neccessay cuts to keep us in business.

Great place to work if you value your time outside of work

Process Engineer (Current Employee)
    Chandler, AZ

ProsGood work/life balance. Most managers are flexible when you need time off assuming you are there when they really need you.

ConsSome groups are too territorial and unwilling to share information that would benefit the company as a whole. There are still a lot of 'old school' employees who complain about everything and seem to be just treading water until they retire.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on openness and sharing among the different business groups and fabs.

A Live or Die Decision? Should Freescale be resusitated or put out of it's misery?

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Chandler, AZ

ProsThey continue to pay well to keep employees from wandering off to more satisfying jobs elsewhere.

ConsEmployee loyalty toward the company is non-existant because company loyalty to the employee disappeared when the company was spun off. The "if-you-don't-like-it, leave" attitude is prevalent but in todays job market, that's pretty much not an option. Also, your single job is likely to be replaced by multiple overseas personnel in Malaysia or China.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart focusing in sales and new customers instead of expense reductions and out-sourcing jobs to Asian facilities. Also decide if you want to reclaim the now-lost quality performance that once existed or continue to focus on new owner investment returns.

Worked for Freescale Semiconductor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Freescale Semiconductor reviews and ratings in Chandler, AZ — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Freescale Semiconductor CEO Gregg Lowe. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Freescale Semiconductor employees.