Freescale Semiconductor

Updated November 11, 2014
3.6

Freescale Semiconductor President & CEO Gregg Lowe
Gregg Lowe

Pros
  • In most sitesorganizations managers were very flexible in terms of telecommuting, work-life balance (in 72 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule for salaried employees, depending on manager (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Global company, you work 24 hours a day and weekends; no work life balance," (in 16 reviews) (in 18 reviews)

• It lacks senior management decision oriented approach (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to for entry level engineers

Former Employee - Design Verification Engineer II in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Design Verification Engineer II in Austin, TX

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good company, good technology, good engineers with lots of experience

Cons

Too defensive management, Difficult to get promotions, and too much politics.

Be aggressive, promote talented people not vocal people

Good

Former Employee - Design Engineer in India, TX
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in India, TX

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work culture makes it convenient to handle the crunch times.

Cons

Time management needs to be worked upon

I was a software engineering intern for Summer 2014

Former Employee - Software Development Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Development Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- I had an amazing internship experience. As a first-year intern, I deployed applications to the company and learned many valuable things about software engineering that I haven't (yet) learned in college.
    - university recruiting team did a fantastic job setting up events so interns have a good balance with work and fun

Cons

I shared a cube with 5 other interns, was very loud. But that wasn't a huge concern for me.

Has been positive in the long run but like all companies, it can really suck when market is bad

Current Employee - Senior Process Development Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Process Development Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've been at Freescale for almost 15 years. If you're talented and able to market yourself then you can do well here and there is opportunity for career development and moving up the corporate ladder. They have a program here called the technical ladder which allows technical people rise to the grade and pay of a director level manager while still being an individual contributor.

I've mostly had good to great mid level managers, typically bad managers get managed out. The senior leadership and CEO at Freescale has always been ok to poor. The current CEO (Greg Lowe) seems to be great from a people perspective, he removed a lot of the perks for senior leadership to put them on a closer level with the remainder of the employees in the company and there are days when he'll be walking through your office and stop in your cube to say hello and see what you're working on. Quite honestly, he's the best CEO I've ever had and I've been through five so far.

The company is doing a lot better in the last 18 months at getting younger engineers in here to get some new energy in the company. We've hired some great fresh outs that are sharp, willing to work long hours and adding a fresh perspective to legacy technical issues.

Vacation policy is awesome! Vacation here is PTO + holiday pay, everyone gets 64 hrs/year of holiday pay, you accrue PTO based on years of experience. The day you start you accrue 15 hrs/month of PTO, year 8 of employment you earn 18.5 hrs/month PTO, year 15 you earn ~21 hrs/month of PTO. Yes, that's right, at year 15 you will have 8 weeks off per year!

Cons

Budgeting is horrible. The company (at least in my sector: die manufacturing) is awful, we're often told 1-7 days before the capital budget is due.

Company needs to improve its internal training programs. Internal training is typically done on a as-requested basis from one or more of the subject matter experts and even then the approval of the manager of said subject matter expert needs to have time away from his "day job" to hold the training; typically prep work for the training is done on nights and weekends.

Bonuses could be better. For example, if an individual contributor earns $100k base salary, is in the top 5% of performers in the company then they would've received a $6k mid year bonus (bonus are every 6 months).

Purge some of the dinosaurs. These are not people which are considered experts or superb talent, these are the people which simply continue to exist here because they've done just enough to not get fired. It's shame that I see some of these fresh outs from college running circles around the older guys but they're getting paid 40% less money.

Put some fire back under your applied statistics training. The company no longer offers internal training for these courses and the training materials are out of date. Freescale is certifying green and black belts with little to know applied statistics knowledge thereby essentially making the certification watered down to the point of almost being ineffective.

Don't change your vacation policy. You should see this as a retention program, the moment you cut this back I'm looking for new jobs; I've heard similar remarks from the majority of other employers I've spoken with.

Amazing great benefits, but mundane work place.

Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great PTO days
    Free gym membership
    community service hours are PAID for by the company
    great work life balance and flexibility
    401k benefits

Cons

personal growth is difficult depending on your job. a lot of politics that comes along with any decently sized company. very little training for the expectations required.

One of the worse Company's to work for

Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, vacation and 401K plan.

Cons

No opportunities at all. If you are not an engineer in this company, then you are considered nothing. The managers couldn't manage their way out of an open paper bag. I had a manager tell me he didn't pay me to think (really). Their saying was we have always done it this way before so why change.

If this company expects to survive they need to be able to compete in a global environment. This means they will have to adjust their processes. Also they may want to look into doing a rotational program for business graduates, not just engineers.

Talented people to work with, but extremely overworked

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at Freescale Semiconductor, learning a lot about processor technology. The hours were flexible (since they were almost unlimited anyway). The salary and benefits were competitive.

Cons

Due to severe competitive pressures, the company kept cutting the workforce. Everyone was overloaded with work, and performing functions well beyond what they originally may have planned to do (e.g. systems engineers became tactical marketers performing pricing while still doing their systems work!)
    Overloaded with work would be an understatement. I was constantly logged in on evenings and weekends as there was just too much work to do with too few people.

Not a place for new college grads

I have been working at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Life is a bit laid back. One can incorporate many other activities in daily schedule besides work.

Cons

Bad place for new college grads.. Managers do not have experience to train new college grads. Managers need to think for future than getting small short term goals done.

Get better managers who are more interactive with their team and know how to get things done.

Extremely intelligent workforce....there are very smart individuals at Freescale

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay, great benefits
    Nice workout/fitness facility

Cons

Training
    Management is unavailable for assistance

Invest in your employees and they will invest in you.
    Make an effort to get to know your employees and be available.

Great working environment

Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

State of the art electronics design and testing

Cons

Still some of the Motorola stigma from some of the former Mot personnel

Allow for cross departmental training and development.

Freescale Semiconductor Photos