Freescale Semiconductor

Updated January 21, 2015
3.6

Freescale Semiconductor President & CEO Gregg Lowe
Gregg Lowe

Pros
  • In most sitesorganizations managers were very flexible in terms of telecommuting, work-life balance (in 72 reviews)

• Smart people, creating cutting edge technologies in a great work environment (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Global company, you work 24 hours a day and weekends; no work life balance," (in 16 reviews) (in 18 reviews)

• It lacks senior management decision oriented approach (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

One of the worse Company's to work for

Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, vacation and 401K plan.

Cons

No opportunities at all. If you are not an engineer in this company, then you are considered nothing. The managers couldn't manage their way out of an open paper bag. I had a manager tell me he didn't pay me to think (really). Their saying was we have always done it this way before so why change.

If this company expects to survive they need to be able to compete in a global environment. This means they will have to adjust their processes. Also they may want to look into doing a rotational program for business graduates, not just engineers.

Talented people to work with, but extremely overworked

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at Freescale Semiconductor, learning a lot about processor technology. The hours were flexible (since they were almost unlimited anyway). The salary and benefits were competitive.

Cons

Due to severe competitive pressures, the company kept cutting the workforce. Everyone was overloaded with work, and performing functions well beyond what they originally may have planned to do (e.g. systems engineers became tactical marketers performing pricing while still doing their systems work!)
    Overloaded with work would be an understatement. I was constantly logged in on evenings and weekends as there was just too much work to do with too few people.

Not a place for new college grads

I have been working at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Life is a bit laid back. One can incorporate many other activities in daily schedule besides work.

Cons

Bad place for new college grads.. Managers do not have experience to train new college grads. Managers need to think for future than getting small short term goals done.

Get better managers who are more interactive with their team and know how to get things done.

Extremely intelligent workforce....there are very smart individuals at Freescale

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay, great benefits
    Nice workout/fitness facility

Cons

Training
    Management is unavailable for assistance

Invest in your employees and they will invest in you.
    Make an effort to get to know your employees and be available.

Great working environment

Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

State of the art electronics design and testing

Cons

Still some of the Motorola stigma from some of the former Mot personnel

Allow for cross departmental training and development.

It was a good and learning experience.

Former Employee - Slot Attendant in San Jacinto, CA
    Former Employee - Slot Attendant in San Jacinto, CA

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

met a lot of nice people

Cons

wrong people were always promoted

Listen to your employees when they have been with the company for years.

Great place for a career

Current Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX

I have been working at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great positive momentum both in the market and in corporate culture. Good mix of internal and external hires and nice focus on recent graduate hiring. Internet of things is a hugely exciting growth potential.

Cons

Cyclical semiconductor market creates an ugly ebb and flow of expense pressures. Still some pockets of old and slow Motorola culture that haven't been refreshed.

Keep moving forward with new culture and leadership refresh to gain openness and nimbleness throughout the company.

Good company for the time there

Former Employee - IT Manager in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People, compensation, benefits, flexibility, location, travel opportunities, mobile device management, more features accessible via cloud, innovation, HR, 401K

Cons

Politics, semiconductor business cycles, consistency between business units, already reorganizing, relative performance, competition, preferential to corporate headquarters, prefers younger employees, growing cost reduction pressure

Good company to work for

Current Employee - RF Design Engineer in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - RF Design Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place for work, lots of learning opportunities. People are always open for help. Flexible working hours.

Cons

Management hierarchy is unclear. Chance of getting exploited. Deadlines are pretty short sometimes requiring long working hours to finish up the projects.

For what it is worth, they promote the BS types. Not the people who do the actual work. The engineering staff sucks.

Current Employee - Manufacturing Tech in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Tech in Austin, TX

I have been working at Freescale Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you can BS on a full time basis. This is the place to work. The supervisors will eat it up. There is no connection between actual productivity and performance evaluation. But if you are a total slacker and run your yap, you will be promoted. Regardless of your actual qualifications.

Cons

I have had only 2 or 3 supervisors over the 18 years I have worked for Motorola/Freescale with post secondary education. See above. Freescale makes very bad hiring/promotion decisions.

Get a formal education at a tier 1 university. UT-Austin is just down the road for crying out loud. I did it, you can too.

Lose the PC/Diversity/Envirowhacko crap. It is annoying, and counter productive. This crap came from Stalin himself you morons. Let's make money. Devise a system to track actual performance to eliminate the BS'ers from the equation.

Do we really have to wait for an employee to scrap a quarter million dollars of product to fire them? Really? I own every production record in every module across four factories. Zero scrap. We are talking almost 19 years here. Tell me again why I am not promoted?

Freescale Semiconductor Photos