Freescale Semiconductor

Freescale Semiconductor Reviews in Tempe, AZ

Updated May 29, 2014

Freescale Semiconductor President & CEO Gregg Lowe

Gregg Lowe

Pros
  • In most sitesorganizations managers were very flexible in terms of telecommuting, work-life balance (in 76 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule for salaried employees, depending on manager (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Global company, you work 24 hours a day and weekends; no work life balance, (in 16 reviews)

• It lacks senior management decision oriented approach (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights
34 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

seems going out of the quandary

Design Engineer II (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsGreat technological accumulation, smart and nice people
    nice work/life balance, flexible working hours
    targeted market is growing fast

Conslarge debt owed
    working culture varies vastly among different business groups
    some projects not well organized

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain people more as they would be the most valuable assets of the company.
    Don't always complain on other groups during cooperation, it does nothing helpful.

Great place to work

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsLots of Upward mobility, opportunities for advancement was there.

ConsSold to Freescale, did not remain in business. I did not get the opportunity to go to Freescale

Advice to Senior ManagementLoved the company

Finally after years of turbulance, this is a very refined company that is very enjoyable to work for

Senior Test Engineer (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsEach team's responsibility is actually being seriously considered. No longer are the days where design throws a marginal product over the fence and moves on to the next marginal product. We finally are designing products with DFT in mind, and manufacturing foresight. Management has been very supportive in encouraging bottom up intelligence.
    The quality of new management is very high with most having PHD's with the mindset to address very intricate issues that have been negatively impacting the company forever. They also are very good at backing off a bad idea. When the lower ranking employees revolt over a bad idea, they listen and make the intelligent decision. This never happened when the likes of Klaus were mismanaging the place.
    They have invested in mid-level marketing to get the word out to new customers that has resulted in exciting new prospects that have been filling the pipelines. The company has a startup atmosphere.

ConsThe company is constantly redefining itself so you never know how long the current vision is going to last. Any manufacturing that requires U.S. support is very thin on manpower. The amount of new paperwork in the future looks like a mountain of documentation. Hopefully this will be implemented with intelligence.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe current management has a great vision and execution plan. Hopefully we are planning for the long term. Keep listening to the rank and file. Some of the ideas look very risky and may need tweaking.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great position, good coworkers and excellent opportunities. Good engineering challenges and interesting work.

Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsTalented engineers and decent managers. Very few pointy haired managers (ala Dilbert) but there a few, as anywhere. Remember, those who can, do. Those who can't, manage.

ConsThey let you go when you reach 65, but they make it seem like you're not doing your job so you can't accuse them of age discrimination.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing musical chairs every two years. Keep a VP in charge for more than 2 years.

Excellent

Engineering Technician (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsGreat people. Interesting technology and equipment.

ConsNot a lot of career avenues.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare more information.

You could walk off the job and nobody would ever remember or care that you ever worked there

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsThey don't micromanage you as long as you are not late on your project

ConsLack of excitement and thrill. The company is more of a "Let's get pumped to get the current management their multi-million dollar bonuses so they can get out of there in two to four years" culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop grinding up the remaining employees. We are so close to screeching to a halt because there are so few people working in the U.S. I can't see why anyone would go into the engineering profession anymore with the way the engineers are treated. There is no career investment / educational opportunities.

Worked on RF transceivers, its interaction with modem on 2G, 3G cellular

Senior Staff Scientist (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

Prossalary, work load, fellow engineers,

Consnot competitive, exited cellular, promotion not fully merit based

work hard... work harder

Senior Staff Engineer (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

Prosbase pay is pretty good

Cons- total compensation is really bad, bonuses Stocks etc. not for the workers
    - Global company, you work 24 hours a day and weekends; no work life balance,
    - have to attend meetings and do reports while on vacation

Advice to Senior Managementcare about your employees

Try harder to find something else if you can- they will not pay very much.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsYou get to learn a lot without much oversight. If you are old- its like a retirement community of engineers who say a lot and do little. Hiring practices are not that stringent. Lots of helping out friends in hiring as well.

ConsFor younger engineers you will be used as cheaper labor- limited opportunities. They also have not hired any recent college graduates in years.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house a bit. Good luck to Gregg Lowe.

A once enjoyable company in the past, now only floundering for direction with yet another re-org.

Senior Physical Design Engineer (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsIts ok to start a career there but move on once you got enough experience, 5yrs at least. Colleagues OK, they're in the same boat too, shared sympathy.

ConsCompany has no direction, a lot of good talent has moved on or retired.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo bad you'll be the last to know.

Worked for Freescale Semiconductor? Contribute to the Community!