Freeslate

John S. Senaldi

Smart, responsive, dedicated co-workers

Current Employee - Senior Software Test Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Test Engineer

I have been working at Freeslate full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-The software team leader is a supportive and thoughtful manager who is great at both long range and short term planning, with great technical skills as well.
    -The company is filled with super-smart people who jump to meet the needs of the company. If I need something from someone in either my own group, a group I often cooperate with, or even someone in a completely separate group, I know that I am going to get a quick response and an effort to help, as schedule allows. The whole company feels like one big team. I never run into ego problems.
    -The upper management encourages open dialog and accepts criticism of policies gracefully. Up-down communication is encouraged.
    -The company is run by and filled with people with families. I have never been asked to put the company before the needs of my family.

Cons

A change in the company's focus earlier this year left us in a rebuilding mode. This has been disconcerting to many, including myself. However, I do feel like we are coming out of the fog and things are stabilizing out now.

Stick a fork in it already

Current Employee - Director Level
    Current Employee - Director Level

I have been working at Freeslate full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Our company's was founded on a legacy of powerful technology with talented, hardworking employees and momentum in the market.

Cons

CEO Senaldi and a couple of his chosen are about all that remain. His unending strategy shifts and workforce adjustments have destroyed any chance this company ever had of success. All we are doing now is holding on and updating our resumes.

Pick a path, communicate the plan, and provide the necessary resources to get the job done. Is that too much to ask?

Good products with a lot of upside potential

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Freeslate full-time

Pros

Great software team lead by a knowledgeable and supportive manager. As an individual contributor, there are lots of of opportunities where you can make great impact to the software products.

Cons

Company strategy changes sometimes can be disruptive..

Good products, too many changes of strategy

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Freeslate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great technical team, collaborative atmosphere up to the director level. Flexible working hours to balance work with family commitments

Cons

Insular Senior Mgmt that did not respect directors, numerous reversals of strategy, competition among business units that was characteristic of a much larger company

A good company is going down

Current Employee - Scientist in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Freeslate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

interesting technology, some real talented employees.

Cons

Narrow minded executives, ever changing strategy, high turn over ratio even at the top level.

Keep integrity at top level if you ask employees to follow the same requirement.

I was a contractor perm employee with a 90% positive experience.

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Freeslate as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Technically knowledgeable & cooperative engineers & lab techs. My project mgr. madre it so much easier for me to do my job.

Cons

Inept HR personnel, I'm certain they never even read the contract they signed with my placement agency. Mgmt. is very top-heavy for a company this small (8 directors & only 100 workers total?), they are often clueless about a business plan or growth so their future looks bleak. As a temp to perm contractor the majority of my problems were with my agency, not
    with Freeslate, but hier recent reverses prohibited bringing me on permanently & I understand there have been layoffs.

The niche market enjoyed in the past is closing up fast. Get rid of about half the directors soaking up most of the profits.

Overall very disappointing - has never lived up to the promises of initial interviews

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Freeslate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good technology, and some sharp minds at this company. People in the field (traveling and interacting with customers) and the people in-house (support and service) are genuinely interested in delivering a successfu solution.

Cons

This is less so for mgmt, who sacrifice good relationships internally and externally for short-term personal gain. Viable market is limited and shrinking. Inflexible vision and myopic strategy are insurmountable obstacles to prod mgmt, sales, and service

Stop patting each other on the back. This mgmt team is riddled with inexperience, so accept feedback and learn from employees and customer base. Micromanagement and forced customers acquiescence are not solutions.

Company going down.

I have been working at Freeslate full-time

Pros

Good, hard working, helpful work force.

Cons

People heading the company have no idea how to stay in competition, move forward and grow the company. Never made an attempt to retain hard working people or appreciate their work.

Respect your workforce and think of some new ideas to grow. Nobody is interested in buying million dollar equipment again and again.

It's OK if you're just looking for a job.

I have been working at Freeslate full-time

Pros

High caliber colleagues. Interesting domain.

Cons

No reinvestment in core technology. Not serious about quality or customer satisfaction. Manager to worker ratio is WAY too high for the size of company.

Focus on core strengths and sectors. Quit micro-managing. Trim the process and management fat: Freeslate is a small company, not GE.

It's a job

Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Freeslate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting projects, good people, friendly environment

Cons

A lot of work, but really not much to say as a negative

none