Freight Handlers

Updated November 18, 2014
Updated November 18, 2014
2.8

Jane Beth

If you are willing to roll Up your sleeves and get busy, this is the place for you

Current Employee - Anonymous in Jessup, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Jessup, MD

I have been working at Freight Handlers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You ultimately control how much you make.
    The faster and more efficient you work, the more earning potential you have.

Cons

As a handler you have to take what is thrown your way $.

Fairness is the ultimate goal

Terrible, unprofessional, and unorganized

I worked at Freight Handlers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Are you kidding me? Can't think of any.

Cons

Some trucks pay better then others. Some you work hard, and make about $3.00 in about 30-60min. Some you get a lot more. One night I waited 3 hours for a truck to show up, it showed up, and the company we worked under decided to do some work so by by 3 hours, and no commission.

Also at the end of the shift they say the first people done are the ones who wait at the end. Soo not true. I was always last to leave. I was always working fast, then i'd hear my co-workers say haha we are leaving, and when I got done with that truck management said one more truck, which turned out to be 3-5 more every time. So i'd be stuck about 3-4 hours later then those guys, and not make much.

Also when hired I didn't want the shift I got, so I asked about an opening in the shift I wanted, and they said middle of the month I started, which I worked their for a few years, and they never started another shift.

Don't lie to get people hired, cause they will be that quick to go out the door. Try to balance who stays late, and who leaves early.

Freight handler/lumper in GA

Current Employee - Unloader in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Unloader in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Freight Handlers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I work for fhi in dacula, georgia. They work in a Publix distribution center. On good days you can go home with almost $200 on your pocket but you have to hustle. The schedule is not bad if you dont get to go to the darn freezer side of the DC they work almost all day! Good coworker relationships.

Cons

Unfair treatment from management is an understatement. Some leads take advantage of the fact they can choose their own loads and look for ways to ALWAYS get the best loads. Some loads are so damned mixed it makes your whole day miserable when you get them because not only do you spend hours on them their payout is horrible. This job is not for the weak hearted it takes a lot out of you.

The company needs to raise the payout of some loads specifically the mixed as hell loads! It is unfair to expect employees to pick up all the trash made during pallet sorting without any pay. Seems like FHI bends over and takes in all of Publix's demands without looking out for their employees first!

Unloader / Lumper

Current Employee - Package Handler in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Package Handler in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Freight Handlers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pay per load, faster you work the more you get paid.

Cons

some loads are very low pay!!, some days you don't get a break!

Great family owned, Faith based company

I have been working at Freight Handlers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment to build a solid career

Cons

Some bad leaders in mid level positions

NA

Could be better, could be worse.

Current Employee - Lead in Newport, MI
    Current Employee - Lead in Newport, MI

I have been working at Freight Handlers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The money isn't bad, and coworkers are great!!

Cons

Very young management, so moving up the ladder is very difficult. Not really a career based job.

home office worker--not field employee

Former Employee - Home Office Employee in Fuquay Varina, NC
    Former Employee - Home Office Employee in Fuquay Varina, NC

I worked at Freight Handlers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management is flexible and understanding when you need time off. Vacation/personal days are pretty good (1 week of each for first 3 years) then 2/1 weeks from years 5-8 (I believe. They were reworking the vacation/personal day schedule). Work schedule can be flexible depending on what department you are in. Pretty small, close-knit environment. Good values, but the culture lags behind what Mr. Wall is trying to implement.

Cons

No review/raise system in place. No real feedback on your work performance. Being on the "outside" of the close-knit group that have all been there for 15+ years together. Not being consulted (or listened to) when they are changing the technology/format of your daily job. No real opportunities for advancement. Scramble for coverage when co-workers are out sick/on vacation.

Definitely implement a yearly raise/review process. People NEED feedback about how they are doing. It makes them feel valued when you give them a bit more money to keep up with the changing economy. Show appreciation for your employees (both home office & field). I watched many good field supervisors be overlooked for promotions while people from non-related centers were promoted with no idea how their new center actually functioned. Realize that yes, it is all unloading services, but each client is different. You cannot make an across the board change for everyone based on one clients needs.

Horrible

Former Employee - Unloader in Newport, MI
    Former Employee - Unloader in Newport, MI

I worked at Freight Handlers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You got to work on your own for the most part

Cons

Only leads get what we consider a GOOD TRUCK Once i was working next to a lead and they gave him a gerber load instead of doing it like all the regular unloaders would he shoved it off to me because it would take him too long and it doesnt pay good. It sucks how only leads get the good trucks it is very rare for a unloader to get a good truck.The equipment is terrible, seems like mejiers went to a dump yard to find there equipment half of it doesnt even hold a charge. Their is only a couple of good lift trucks but usually the leads take then before u can get one. Leads come in last after everyone else and go in the office and see what good trucks our out there. They'll usually grab 51 or 54 which are floor lanes that have dog food and can pay over 200 for 1 truck. More cons about this place is waiting for your truck. The switchers here take forever. Once it took over 4 hours for my first truck of the day to dock. They lost it, You can also get a truck that has 2 pallets on it that are usually mixed to hell and it'll take you a couple of hours to do it which sucks for you because your only making 4.50 off that. While your waiting for trucks to dock you are not getting paid your just sitting there doing nothing. They say theres room for advancement YEAHHH RIGHT. You get a yellow shirt and no raise. Oh yea i forgot to tell you you get no raises on your anniversary here. You get paid 3 cents per case when your on convey. They give you no reason to say here long term.I highly recommend to think twice before you take this job.

Restructure everything about your company.

There is no direct interaction with management.

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Dallas, GA
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Dallas, GA

I worked at Freight Handlers part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working on my own time for the most part. Getting to move around a lot and work with different people all the time. Meeting new people.

Cons

A lot of heavy lifting. Working in freezers. Some ladder climbing required in some store freezers. Having to work around the stores products to retrieve my products and working around delivery times. Pay was very low for the type of work and amount of hours spent rotating and replenishing stock.

Management needs to have more interaction with employees.

advancement

Current Employee - Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Freight Handlers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

the corporate management team really tried to look out for its employees while doing whats right for the compnay as well.

Cons

if you dont move up in to managment there are no raise oppurtinities.