Freight Handlers

Unloader / Lumper

Current Employee - Package Handler  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Package Handler in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Freight Handlers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

pay per load, faster you work the more you get paid.

Cons

some loads are very low pay!!, some days you don't get a break!

Freight handler/lumper in GA

Current Employee - Unloader  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Unloader in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Freight Handlers full-time for more than a year

Pros

I work for fhi in dacula, georgia. They work in a Publix distribution center. On good days you can go home with almost $200 on your pocket but you have to hustle. The schedule is not bad if you dont get to go to the darn freezer side of the DC they work almost all day! Good coworker relationships.

Cons

Unfair treatment from management is an understatement. Some leads take advantage of the fact they can choose their own loads and look for ways to ALWAYS get the best loads. Some loads are so damned mixed it makes your whole day miserable when you get them because not only do you spend hours on them their payout is horrible. This job is not for the weak hearted it takes a lot out of you.

The company needs to raise the payout of some loads specifically the mixed as hell loads! It is unfair to expect employees to pick up all the trash made during pallet sorting without any pay. Seems like FHI bends over and takes in all of Publix's demands without looking out for their employees first!

Could be better, could be worse.

Current Employee - Lead  in  Newport, MI
    Current Employee - Lead in Newport, MI

I have been working at Freight Handlers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The money isn't bad, and coworkers are great!!

Cons

Very young management, so moving up the ladder is very difficult. Not really a career based job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great family owned, Faith based company

I have been working at Freight Handlers full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great environment to build a solid career

Cons

Some bad leaders in mid level positions

NA

home office worker--not field employee

Former Employee - Home Office Employee  in  Fuquay Varina, NC
    Former Employee - Home Office Employee in Fuquay Varina, NC

I worked at Freight Handlers full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Management is flexible and understanding when you need time off. Vacation/personal days are pretty good (1 week of each for first 3 years) then 2/1 weeks from years 5-8 (I believe. They were reworking the vacation/personal day schedule). Work schedule can be flexible depending on what department you are in. Pretty small, close-knit environment. Good values, but the culture lags behind what Mr. Wall is trying to implement.

Cons

No review/raise system in place. No real feedback on your work performance. Being on the "outside" of the close-knit group that have all been there for 15+ years together. Not being consulted (or listened to) when they are changing the technology/format of your daily job. No real opportunities for advancement. Scramble for coverage when co-workers are out sick/on vacation.

Definitely implement a yearly raise/review process. People NEED feedback about how they are doing. It makes them feel valued when you give them a bit more money to keep up with the changing economy. Show appreciation for your employees (both home office & field). I watched many good field supervisors be overlooked for promotions while people from non-related centers were promoted with no idea how their new center actually functioned. Realize that yes, it is all unloading services, but each client is different. You cannot make an across the board change for everyone based on one clients needs.

Horrible

Former Employee - Unloader  in  Newport, MI
    Former Employee - Unloader in Newport, MI

I worked at Freight Handlers full-time for less than a year

Pros

You got to work on your own for the most part

Cons

Only leads get what we consider a GOOD TRUCK Once i was working next to a lead and they gave him a gerber load instead of doing it like all the regular unloaders would he shoved it off to me because it would take him too long and it doesnt pay good. It sucks how only leads get the good trucks it is very rare for a unloader to get a good truck.The equipment is terrible, seems like mejiers went to a dump yard to find there equipment half of it doesnt even hold a charge. Their is only a couple of good lift trucks but usually the leads take then before u can get one. Leads come in last after everyone else and go in the office and see what good trucks our out there. They'll usually grab 51 or 54 which are floor lanes that have dog food and can pay over 200 for 1 truck. More cons about this place is waiting for your truck. The switchers here take forever. Once it took over 4 hours for my first truck of the day to dock. They lost it, You can also get a truck that has 2 pallets on it that are usually mixed to hell and it'll take you a couple of hours to do it which sucks for you because your only making 4.50 off that. While your waiting for trucks to dock you are not getting paid your just sitting there doing nothing. They say theres room for advancement YEAHHH RIGHT. You get a yellow shirt and no raise. Oh yea i forgot to tell you you get no raises on your anniversary here. You get paid 3 cents per case when your on convey. They give you no reason to say here long term.I highly recommend to think twice before you take this job.

Restructure everything about your company.

There is no direct interaction with management.

Former Employee - Merchandiser  in  Dallas, GA
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Dallas, GA

I worked at Freight Handlers part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working on my own time for the most part. Getting to move around a lot and work with different people all the time. Meeting new people.

Cons

A lot of heavy lifting. Working in freezers. Some ladder climbing required in some store freezers. Having to work around the stores products to retrieve my products and working around delivery times. Pay was very low for the type of work and amount of hours spent rotating and replenishing stock.

Management needs to have more interaction with employees.

advancement

Current Employee - Manager  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Freight Handlers full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

the corporate management team really tried to look out for its employees while doing whats right for the compnay as well.

Cons

if you dont move up in to managment there are no raise oppurtinities.

You are very unimportant to them!

Current Employee - Unloader  in  Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Unloader in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Freight Handlers full-time for less than a year

Pros

Most weekends off. Paid vacation kind of.

Cons

No down time pay. You might be forced to wait around for hours and not get paid for it.
    Only 15 minute breaks.
    No daily overtime.
    Unload a whole truck (5 hours+) for $10.
    They find anyway they can not pay you for your work.

Change the pay system!

bad

Current Employee - Unloader  in  Newport, MI
    Current Employee - Unloader in Newport, MI

I have been working at Freight Handlers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

sometimes the money is good

Cons

u work all day sometimes and make nothing to the hrs you put in that one day

Worked for Freight Handlers? Contribute to the Community!