Fresenius Medical Care - North America
www.fmcna.com Waltham, MA 5000+ Employees

Fresenius Medical Care - North America Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Fresenius Medical Care - North America CEO Fresenius Medical Care North America and Deputy Chairman of the Management Board Rice Powell

Rice Powell

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, good organization to build a career"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Great Benefits (includes a lot of PTO, 401k with company match)"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Example No Diversity seen in upper management staff"
    in 14 reviews
  • "There was no room for advancement"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Acute RN

Acute Dialysis RN (Former Employee)
Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Fresenius Medical Care - North America full-time for more than a year

ProsAutonomy, base pay plus acute shift diff (15%), night shift diff (30%), mileage to hospitals (.51/mile), free uniforms, lots of hours avail if wanted

Cons18 hour days mandated, worked 24 hour days frequently plus on call and every other weekend, often by yourself after just 10 weeks of class even though policy says 6 months with another RN at all times, forced to do PD and CRRT with zero training (they want to talk you through the process over the phone with pt family in the room - very unprofessional and dangerous!) Several sentinel events in the short time I was there. Very unsafe for staff and patients alike.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain staff better, have charge nurses that are willing to help and aren't online shopping all day, listen to staff complaints and get rid of those that are not following policy and practicing in a dangerous manner instead of promoting them

Registered Nurse

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
Quincy, MA

I have been working at Fresenius Medical Care - North America full-time for more than a year

ProsGood Benefits, Good job sercurity

ConsPoor Management, Long hours, unpredictable schedule

Advice to Senior ManagementShow greater consideration for employee's time

Staff Nurse (Chronic)

I have been working at Fresenius Medical Care - North America

ProsEasy interviewing process and great pay.

ConsCompany does not support their employees. They function on negative reinforcement.

As a RN my job was care of patients & education to include families. The inservices were improved and followed up.

Dialysis RN (Former Employee)
Columbus, OH

I worked at Fresenius Medical Care - North America full-time for more than 8 years

ProsContinuing Education has improved staff ability to relate to the patients. Patients are allowed to express their concerns and ask questions. Personal growth from setting up a program of education for patients predialyis and post.

ConsChallenges of how to keep your job even though you feel like you are giving your best each day. Would love to see better salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would love to see time set aside for management to talk with staff in order to understand their needs & problems.

Relaxed Environment

Waltham, MA

I have been working at Fresenius Medical Care - North America full-time

ProsAs long as you get your work done accurately and timely, they allow you to be pretty independent. Decent benefits and PTO.

ConsNot great pay, getting set up as a new hire is a pretty long process.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to give good employees some more responsibilities, currently not much incentive to excel.

Comparable Benefits-huge company = slow changes

I have been working at Fresenius Medical Care - North America full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe benefits are quite good in the whole scheme of things, health, excellent PTO, extended sick leave, discounts on mobile providers and life/car/home insurance, discounts on apple products, dell products, and so much more.

ConsFresenius is a HUGE healthcare company which makes it very slow to implement ANY kind of change. It will be reorganizing just like many other healthcare companies very soon due to Medicare cuts and the changing healthcare reform.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to make the effort to lead their teams effectively and efficiently all while increasing morale and team building to keep a " well oiled machine".

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great intro to the medical field, and I might spend my career with them.

Dialysis Technician (Current Employee)
Portland, OR

I have been working at Fresenius Medical Care - North America full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIt's great working for a strong, stable company, knowing that you'll never get laid off. The benefits, especially the paid time off, are some of the best I've ever had. You do also learn a lot of practical skills as a technician, and it can be a great introduction to healthcare.

ConsThe culture at work really varies widely from clinic to clinic and depends mostly on the manager. The technicians are taken for granted and worked to the bone. They'd rather churn out new technicians rather than make the experienced technicians happy. Part of that unhappiness is because new technicians' salaries aren't much different than that of experienced technicians. After 5 years of working there, one of my friends got hired on. He showed me what he was making, and it was within $1/hr of my hourly wage. Another tough thing is that there aren't opportunities for promotion. You can make lateral moves into Biomed or as an RCIT (and those roles do have promotions available), but as a patient care technician there are zero promotion opportunities without your RN.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate your wage scales to differentiate the pay of a new employee from an experienced one. New managers should start out in small clinics and only hire experienced managers for large (>16 chairs) clinics. A large clinic can be overwhelming for a brand new manager. Even consider having an assistant manager for the clinic (possibly a technician) to help share the burden of a large clinic.
Secondly, when making new policies, please think of the effect they will have on workflow and time constraints. In the 9 years since I started, the pre- and post-treatment care has more steps added and yet the time it's to be completed (15 minutes) hasn't changed since I started. This adds stress for the technicians and I also think it makes it take longer and harder to train new technicians. I've trained about 20 over the years. It used to be that technicians could easily be trained and ready to be on their own in 8-10 weeks, but I'm increasingly seeing technicians needing 12-14 weeks of training and assistance or a lighter workload because new technicians can meet the higher demands that are now placed on technicians.
Lastly, be willing to fire people. I've only ever seen 2 people get fired in all my years. One was stealing from the company, and the other failed to pass an annual competency exam. Both should have been fired long before that for being unsafe with patients, failing to follow numerous policies, and being unprofessional. I've seen a nurse inject herself with medications. I've seen a technician get in fist fights with patients (the technician started it). I've seen a nurse be the first to observe a patient passed out in a chair and just walk away. The course of action in every case is to transfer the employee to a new clinic, where they repeat the behavior at their new clinic, and rarely ultimately get fired. Even when there isn't a case to fire them, you know when someone is a bad employee and not a good fit, and management should be willing to lay them off, even though it will mean paying unemployment. Bad employees are a cancer to the clinics they work in and drive away good employees and patients.

Good people, Corporate Programs sometimes a Bust

I have been working at Fresenius Medical Care - North America full-time

ProsI love the people at this company, the management is amazing and the job is very flexible.

ConsSometimes the corporate programs they run out are very bumpy or are delegated to people who don't have experience with that particular kind of program, and there is not enough training. The management could make better use of their personnel.

Fresenius

I have been working at Fresenius Medical Care - North America full-time

ProsGood benefits, higher starting salary than surrounding hospitals, good work life balance if your clinic has enough staff but that's not always the case

Conslower pay than Davita, other than that it is a slower company to get into and work with. They like to take their time getting things done.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

An average company.

Financial Coordinator (Former Employee)
Westchester, IL

I worked at Fresenius Medical Care - North America full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood benefits, good organization to build a career.

ConsBad management within smaller departments. Company is always re-organizing and shifting which causes job loss or employees to constant interruptions and change in workflow.

Worked for Fresenius Medical Care - North America? Contribute to the Community!

Fresenius Medical Care - North America Videos

Fresenius Medical Care - North America – Why Work for Us?

​​​​​Our Vision​​​​​ ​​Creating a future worth living. For people. Worldwide. Every Day. ​​ Fresenius Medical Care North America (FMCNA) is proud that our unwavering commitment to our patients has made us the global… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fresenius Medical Care - North America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Fresenius Medical Care - North America CEO Rice Powell. All 283 reviews posted anonymously by Fresenius Medical Care - North America employees.