Fresenius Medical Care - North America Reviews

Updated March 30, 2015
418 reviews filtered by

1. Overall a decent company to work for

I have been working at Fresenius Medical Care - North America

Pros

Fair pay, flexibility and room to grow

Cons

Hard to travel to if not in the Waltham area. Company wide communication is poor

All personnel information should be on one system and updated accordingly.

2. Houston division is dysfunctional!!

Current Employee - Registered Dietitian in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Registered Dietitian in Houston, TX

I have been working at Fresenius Medical Care - North America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I would have nothing but pros for Fmc until Houston! Fmc has the greatest benefit package in company courtesy of the merger with RCG - a company that was filled with innovative minds!! Will always love RCG!!

Cons

Area managers/dos in Houston have no idea of their jobs. Very reactionary. Disconnected from the facility unless you are in their little clique. Lack innovation, gossip, lie frequently, rude. Clinics are dirty, obvious signs of neglect and when complaints are made,one is labeled. Physical structures are dilapidated. Physicians not driven because of disconnect with management. Staff morale very low as they feel boxed in. Indecisive with non productive employees rather shuffle them around.

Reassess the need for area managers/ dos. Review what's going on in Houston Division.

Overall positive place to work.

Former Employee - Clinical Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Clinical Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Fresenius Medical Care - North America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits package. Enjoyed working in business/financial side of things while still being close with my patients. Learned a lot about the business of medical care,

Cons

Too many projects all the time, leaving too little time for actual patient care. Too much focus on spreadsheets and numbers instead of the actual people these printouts affect.

Not sure what needs to change. Would benefit the company to put more effort into small perks for the clinic level staff.

5. great company to work for

I worked at Fresenius Medical Care - North America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

enjoy working with fellow employee

Cons

Long hour if not properly staff

6. Too much stress and unorganized shift changes

Current Employee - Dialysis RN in Greenville, NC
    Current Employee - Dialysis RN in Greenville, NC

I have been working at Fresenius Medical Care - North America

Pros

great benefits with some very nice patients that are wonderful!

Cons

too much stress with change over from shift to shift; patients that are mobility challenged take longer to get in their bed, or chair; transport staff have to wait for the patient to be admitted sometimes with shift change due to prior patient is not out of the chair or bed; some patients dialysis time cut short due to this unnecessary rush to get folks in and out. The time set for each patient to get in and out of clinic, does not allow time for you to "breathe." It is very rushed. Most unorganized place I have ever worked.

You need to fix the schedule for patient arrival and exit times, to allow dialysis to be completed per policy. A lot of short cuts taken, policies are not being adhered to. The patients are more sick on the bedside area versus the walk in chairside area. You need to have 1 more nurse and PCT to handle 8-12 patients per shift. Quality is lacking due to NO time to complete all the required quality assessments, chart reviews, care plans, uncompleted lab testing and followups, and the management not listening to the staff issues over and over again of this repeated nightmare of a clinic workflow that is currently in practice !

7. Could be so much better but it isn't.

Former Employee - Pct in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Pct in New York, NY

I worked at Fresenius Medical Care - North America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits package. Lots of job opportunities outside of management and lots of opportunities across the United States of America. This is a good entry level company to start with.

Cons

Poor management teams in place and no real oversight over their functionality. This scenario hurts everyone. Most clinic managers and directors are clueless with respect to their duties.

Observe in person your management teams and the work culture that they create.

8. Fresenius is a wonderful company to work for.

Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fresenius Medical Care - North America

Pros

The work atmosphere is great. I really appreciate my coworkers because we work as a team. Fresenius promotes good customer service to all.

Cons

The patients sometimes are angry about not feeling so well. The challenge having the ability to press on in spite of someone else's bad attitude.

The work atmosphere is great but a little encouragement from time to time won't hurt anyone.

9. Not a good place for people below manager level

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Fresenius Medical Care - North America full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Gain experience in health care industry. Slow paced company

Cons

Not effective communication company wide;Bureaucratic;No 401k matches in the first year; 6 holidays total in a year.

Improve communication to reduce silos. Provides opportunity for career advancement. Give bonus to everyone instead of manager above, which encourages political behavior

Think twice if IT

Former Employee - Information Technology in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Lexington, MA

I worked at Fresenius Medical Care - North America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Paycheck but that is questionable.

Cons

Reading through the other reviews, I'm not surprised that the ones I saw about IT are so negative. Having worked in the Lexington, MA facility for much longer than I would have liked, I am quite happy to be gone.

The facility itself was disgusting. The carpets are filthy with stains and I don't recall them ever being cleaned while I was there. Even the walls have lots of stains that are ignored. There are a number of other issues there but I'm not going to continue on this topic.

Benefits are not very good in comparison to other companies I've worked for or where I'm at now. Most people I had talked there felt the same way.

As for IT:

This is by far the worst and most dysfunctional IT department I have ever been part of. If a survey were to be sent out to all employees asking their opinion of the services that IT provides, there might actually be some terminations in IT management. Hmmm, might be a good thing!

Teamwork is almost non-existent except for the team you directly a member of. "Finger pointing" seemed to be almost habit with lots of the employees that had been there for any length of time. Many times I saw people put more effort into placing blame than it would have taken to fix an actual issue. Managers were often the ones doing the pointing. A number of IT employees treat others with a complete lack of professionalism and management does nothing and even supports these individuals and their behavior.

Communication was pathetic at best. This opinion applies to management and the department as a whole. Managers seem to believe that "knowledge is power" and would only provide minimal details to employees allowing them to get the job done without a real understanding of the bigger picture. For the department aspect of this topic, there were numerous times the team I was on would be asked to investigate something not working correctly. After spending some time troubleshooting the issue, we had learned that another team had made a change that caused the problem without prior communication to anyone. The lack of communication also had negative impacts on the overall strategy of the department. One team would be making changes or implementing something new when another team was doing something similar or contradicting. This led to lots of wasted time and resources. Several times I witnessed teams purchasing software when another team already had something that did the same thing but there was no attempt to coordinate efforts.

Management was always focused on managing up, not down. The ones I was in contact with did not seem to care about the issues I discussed above or the serious moral problems that plaque the department. While there, I had several discussions with management regarding the moral problems but was always given excuses or told it wasn't my concern. I was even told that one director publicly stated that if someone wasn't happy, let them leave. This type of attitude is part of the reason the turnover is so high and valuable employees move on. Human Resources at most companies would be concerned about this but there was no evidence of this at Fresenius.

Please take everything I have said in consideration and also with a "grain of salt". This is just one persons opinion. Other departments and locations for this company may be great to work at but think twice about IT. I honestly hope the right people read this and take some initiative to improve the numerous issues that exist in the IT department.

11. Fresenius was a great company that was an amazing chance to learn and grow.

Former Contractor - Desktop Support Analyst in Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Former Contractor - Desktop Support Analyst in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I worked at Fresenius Medical Care - North America as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Open environment where you can grow and learn a variety of skills/duties.

Cons

I guess the 1 con was that my Contract ended and was one of the last contractors to come aboard, so I could not be transitioned.

Management was excellent. They encouraged employees to grow and did not over manage.

Fresenius Medical Care - North America Photos