Fresh Produce Sportswear

Updated July 1, 2014
Updated July 1, 2014
2.0

Mark Stephens

An amazing place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Fresh Produce Sportswear full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Hard work pays off. This is a company where extra effort is rewarded, is encouraged and actually does pay off. The owners are two very amazing and wonderful people.

Cons

Communication. Upper management has plans that are in the best interest of the employees and the organization and they are working diligently to accomplish them. They need to communicate these better to the base.

Communicate to the base

The Bra and Panty industry has invaded our Family

I have been working at Fresh Produce Sportswear full-time

Pros

FP offers a great discount for it's employees because they want to make it easy for us to be able to wear the current trends in the stores. Evidently if you are a Manager for our company you don't have to work holidays that is always a plus in retail.

Cons

New Managers all seem to be coming from the same company that sales bras, panties, sleepwear and if you have been in one of their stores you can see that they sell very little clothing if any, so why would a company hire people to manage our stores that are used to playing with boobs and butts all day? Current employees are more than competent, we know the product, we know the history, some of us helped make FP what it is long before stores were available in our state and we can not get promoted. We are the ones that work at FP because we love the Brand, but with all the changes that have gone on in the past year and continue the Brand is declining. This saddens me because I loved working for the company that made my favorite clothes and I looked forward to having a career with them, but since I was not friends with the right people when it came time to hire a new manager for our store I did not even have an opportunity to interview. Well I do know one company that is running short on managers and maybe we should go there to work and then re-apply at FP. I wish there was a why of letting Tom and Maryellen know what is happening to the little people that work for them. They are not only loosing the people who work for them they are loosing us as customers as well. I am sorry to say that as soon as I can find a job I will be leaving the FP Family (haha) and I will not be returning as a customer. They have been collecting money from me as a customer for 18 or so years.

Promote from within, you actually have some employees that love coming to work and love promoting your Brand, they are the ones that should be running the stores. Stop allowing upper management from hiring their friends who know nothing about the company and have no desire to learn. It takes more to be DM or SM than collecting checks. The new members you have allowed to take over the south have no desire to even embrace the brand and wear it.

Run don't walk away from this company.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Fresh Produce Sportswear full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some wonderful customers and managers over the past few years sharing their travels. A great team that works well together.

Cons

The new upper management is border line verbally abrasive in how they treat you, talk to you and refer to you. Stores are not allowed to communicate with anyone in the home office only the DM. When we do come to them with a question, problem or concern they never respond back. We had a few members of the team not get their paycheck and it took over a week for a response. They keep hiring more upper management and pushing the stores to sell, when we have no support, no new product, no replenishment and we're told no excuses just do it. They do not promote from within only hire the friends of the new upper management. They send a weekly style guide to each store that a 6 year old could do as busy work which has no value to the business, yet we can't get the product they advertise to our customers. We have gone to referring to our customers as clients which is so sad as we are supposed to be a relaxed fun place for them to come to not a stuffy firm for advice or for their money only. The upper management that is being hired are all have a common denominator of another brand. They are bringing all the junk that didn't work for that brand and implementing it at Fresh Produce. If they didn't like it there why bring it here. Loyalty and passion for the brand is gone as the new SM's they are hiring have no clue what the product represents and have limited or no management experience. To them it's a job from a friend on a high horse not a passion.We haven't had new product in the stores for almost 2 months other than a few pieces. The quality is going down but the prices are going up. Getting harder to sell a sheer T shirt for $54.00 or what to say when someone wants to buy a pair of shorts and we have none!

Clean house in upper management and bring in a team that cares about the brand, the people who make their money and it's customers. Loyalty of the managers in the stores is huge and your losing it along with some great managers. Be honest and communicate with your managers, not play mind games or work to force them out of the business. Bring the company back to the original passion for people both customers and stores. You have separated the upper management from the stores and now the customers are leaving due to quality and expensive and boring merchandise.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Truly and utterly eye-opening - and not in a positive way.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at Fresh Produce Sportswear full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a full-time retail employee, you receive accumulating vacation hours, sick and personal days, paid holidays, as well as accumulating volunteer hours. Health benefits are also offered to FT employees through Cigna. Employees receive a 60% discount off of FP merchandise and 40% discount off of other brands.

I have met a few wonderful people (now close friends) throughout my time at Fresh Produce, but that is the one and only plus.

Cons

Unfortunately, too many to count... I worked full-time at the Pearl Street store (which is nearby the corporate office here in Boulder, Colorado), so associates at our store were able to meet corporate employees and also the owners, who seem wonderful and genuine. (...But how do they not see the destructive working environments both in-store and corporate?)

At the retail location: "Promotion from within" is always spoken about, but never once in my 2.5 years at the store have I witnessed this. VERY HIGH rate of turnover at the Pearl Street store. They are always struggling to keep the store staffed. I had FOUR different managers in that small amount of time I worked at FP. There is no valid company handbook stating "the rules" - the company can get away with anything... No consistency with day-by-day structure (there are always new senior management, so of course things change all the time!) and lack of appreciation of valuable employees. As a FT worker, after my high-rating yearly review, I received a THIRTY-SIX cent raise! How insulting.

At the corporate office (CO): Because our store location is nearby the CO, we witnessed first-hand the drama and disorganization of the corporate structure. This company has an INCREDIBLE rate of turnover - initial bad sign. We were always being introduced to new employees and having to start from scratch on various projects because of the changing of staff. Roles and positions change constantly. One day someone will be a "buyer" and the next day, their daily tasks will include something totally different because, surprise, they are short-staffed in other critical departments... For coming across as a happy, fun lifestyle company, it is everything but. It seems as though everything is negatively enforced - not a way to produce a happy, healthy, hard-working team that wants to come to work and be productive. The working environment at the CO is intense. Just stepping into their cubicled work area, you can feel the tension, stress, and unhappiness. Since the CEO change in 2013, the tension has just increased. Walking on eggshells...

Products: The quality of the FP product is (for the most part) awful. And because of these poor fabric and design choices made by the design team, stores got a huge amount of returns and damages, which then reflect poorly on each individual store's profits, etc. Dyes are poor - employees are expected to tell every single customer of the special care that is needed so they do not damage their new $70 t-shirt by using stain remover. The brand has always boasted that they are mostly made in the USA, but more and more products are being out-sourced and they are also bringing in many inexpensive products that are made overseas.

Open your eyes and look at the whole picture. Recognize and appreciate those wonderful employees that are keeping your business alive and well. Find a clear path and take it - stop changing your mind so much. Micro-managing gets you nowhere (as you should very well know) and is not the way to make a profitable TEAM. Promote from within! These people know your products and your business - use and cherish them to your benefit! Hire fellow senior management that actually have retail experience so they know the WHOLE company cycle. A well-rounded employee is oh-so-beneficial, efficient, and knowledgeable.

I will NEVER EVER recommend this company to anyone - to work or shop. As a matter-of-a-fact, I enjoy telling anyone who is interested about my horrible, eye-opening experience with this company.

Store Manager

I worked at Fresh Produce Sportswear full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

60 percent clothing made in USA, great team of managers who help and listen to each other, nice discount for clothing

Cons

Upper management, the corporate office a revolving door, policies always changing, no clear vision or marketing, quality of clothing slipping, very poor communication from corporate office, company appears in turmoil, losing great managers, and associates

Get back to basics! Listen to your customers, and managers. Stop trying to be something you are not.

Lack of Direction

I worked at Fresh Produce Sportswear

Pros

Multiple Store Locations in desirable travel locations

Cons

Exec Management has no direction
    Management does not care about employees
    No clear expectations set and no follow-through

Communication is key - constant caos, change in direction but no end goal set or steps to get there
    Need clear direction and current tools to do the job more efficiently
    Management does not trust employees to do their jobs

It was OK

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Estero, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Estero, FL

I worked at Fresh Produce Sportswear part-time for more than a year

Pros

To meet people coming into store.

Cons

Need better training for employees.

Friendly, fun place to work, run like a small business even through growth spurts.

I worked at Fresh Produce Sportswear full-time

Pros

Family friendly, great product discounts, good teamwork.

Cons

Needs more business acumen in certain areas.

Try to remain open to new ways of doing things.

Tons of Potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at Fresh Produce Sportswear full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun, colorful clothes
    Could be a great product
    Great potential with the right team
    Amazing owners
    Successful in spite of itself
    Fun mid-level management team

Cons

Resistant to change
    Lack of leadership--no one in senior management has experience
    Lack of direction
    Lack of clarity--the company vision changes weekly

Listen to your customers, customer-centric companies will thrive
    Improve quality control
    Value your employees
    Adopt a modern work environment and creative culture
    Focus on improving the customer experience and perfecting the product and everything else will follow

Great sales staff, rotten management

I worked at Fresh Produce Sportswear full-time for less than a year

Pros

They manage to find quality sales staff and the work environment isn't bad at all. Salary for sales staff is based, in part, on how well sales go from day to day, so there is good incentive to work hard and sell sell sell. Product is fairly good quality, and there are a lot of return customers.

Cons

Upper management is only out for themselves and although they tout that they are a fun, "beachy" environment, they will stab you in the back in a heartbeat. The company is based in Colorado. You will do fine if you keep your mouth shut and listen to your instinct, not the advice given to you by those other folks in the company who are only looking to move you out so that they can move it and look better for doing it.

Keep a better eye on your mid-level management. They are going to ruin you. Focus less on your daily/weekly/monthly numbers and more on your customers and sales staff ... they are the ones who are going to either make or break you, not the mid-level management team.

Worked for Fresh Produce Sportswear? Contribute to the Community!