Fresh Produce Sportswear

2.2
Mark Stephens

Store Manager

I worked at Fresh Produce Sportswear

Pros

Love the owners, the brand, our store and customers

Cons

Last round of leadership made several poor decisions that negatively impacted a great company and lost a huge number of loyal and long time employees

2. This company's culture is extremely genuine and authentic.

I worked at Fresh Produce Sportswear full-time

Pros

Great one on one with clients. Loyal customer following. Room for creativity on managing within your own four walls.

Cons

Not extremely operationally sound. Pay is not competitive for industry.

3. Retail Store Manager

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager

I have been working at Fresh Produce Sportswear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A truly unique company with tremendous potential and an extremely loyal client base

Cons

Seeking a corporate team that has the same passion and vision for the brand as the Store Managers and their teams

Advice to Management

Listen to what your Store Managers are saying. Those with a proven track record really know what their talking about!

5. Sad to close doors.......

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Fresh Produce Sportswear

Pros

Great staff....manager.....DM. Great discount. Great environment... Color..color..color

Cons

Need to get back to original styles...colors...fit. The customers are there....they are loyal. Keep things real simply...cotton..
    Colors.

Advice to Management

Simple.....cotton.....color

6. Marketing Coordinator

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at Fresh Produce Sportswear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My team and manager support was the only pro. My manager was one of the best there... she not only challenged me, but trusted me and helped me grow in my career. My other team members were amazing. We always helped each other learn and grow, and always supported each other during difficult situations.
    If it wasn't for my mature and supportive manager or my team, I wouldn't have stayed at the company for as long as I did.

Cons

Overall respect for the company by employees is beyond lacking, there is no transparency from leadership, company culture is lacking, compensation for the kind of work you do is almost laughable (especially when you see the CEO getting a refrigerator full of expensive bottled water), employees are undervalued, most managers lead out of fear and intimidation

Advice to Management

Flip flopping company direction, placing blame, not being accountable, inconsistencies within leadership, making your employees work during a holiday, expecting employees to work from home without giving them a computer to do it from, not letting your employees take risks or grow, leading out of fear, not listening to the employees... These are all traits that have caused this company to go down hill. When you are a transparent, consistent, challenging leader, your employees will WANT to work for you. Everyone at Fresh Produce wanted to work for the company until the owners became non-existent and gave their leadership to people who had no idea how to positively manage a company. It was clear that no one in leadership cared about the people that worked there, and were only out for themselves.
    Before you re-organize the company yet again, take a step back and ask yourself what TRULY makes a good owner, director, chief, manager, coordinator... then begin to put the right people in the right positions. It is 2015, not 1990 Corporate America. It's time to show that you value your employees in a modern way. You do not own them nor should you instil fear in them. At the end of the day, if your employees dread going to work every morning, your company is going to go bankrupt.

Not what it used to be!

Former Employee - Anonymous in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Boulder, CO

I worked at Fresh Produce Sportswear full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked for Fresh Produce for over 7 years. I used to love what I did and couldn't be more satisfied with my career but things have changed greatly! The brand was solid and people loved our clothes but with constant redirection its been hard for customers to keep up.

Cons

Upper management has changed way too much and those who were there were pushed out by the new head honchos. Turn over is now almost 90% from last year which says a lot about what its like to work there now.

Advice to Management

Wait to see what works when you change things before changing them again. A few months is not enough time to see if your new direction worked. Stop pushing out people who have been there for years just because they dont agree with your new ever changing directions.

Company has no direction.

Former Employee - Keyholder
    Former Employee - Keyholder

I worked at Fresh Produce Sportswear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hands down one of the easiest jobs I've had. Paperwork is light and policy and procedures are relaxed. The customers that typically shop here are nice middle aged women so dealing with customers is not a nightmare as it is with certain other brands. The discount is decent, but still leaves the clothing on the pricier side. You are expected to wear 50% fresh produce.

Cons

Where do I start? Upper management is a joke. Turnover rate in corporate office is extremely high and people are constantly being fired and replaced with new. This makes things such as simple request forms, ect much harder. Nobody has a passion for the brand and it shows. It seems that nobody can decide on a direction for the company. They have alienated their previous and devoted customers by changing the style. Yet, they have not gained the new customers they were obviously hoping to gain. Things change on a daily basis and there is not much structure.

Advice to Management

Decide on a cohesive direction to aim towards. Create a sense of structure and reliability. Figure out who you want your customer base to be.

No proper guidance/management, thrown to the wolves.

I worked at Fresh Produce Sportswear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fresh Produce has good time off and laid back office culture.

Cons

This company has put its trust in inexperienced people who are overworked and that have way too much on their plates. The owners are good people but they put their faith in people who they 'get a good feeling' from or that they like/have a friendship with.
    When I started I was basically thrown to the wolves with no proper management or guidance. I really wanted to succeed but was ill equipped too w/out training from my superiors. My direct boss would tell me that I should do my job one way which directly went against what the VP of our division would tell me and what was initially described to me during the hiring process. I never felt I could go to any of my superiors with my concerns either. It was stated to me that the company is going through a difficult time and you have to do whatever we ask of you. Which basically meant every and any task they wanted me to do which took my time away from my job duties.
    I had made some major gains for them as well, adding big clients to their base but because I had no company backup, one MAJOR opportunity was lost. After that, I personally felt that my work was not appreciated and left the company. It was a real shame because I feel I really could have made an impact on the company with again the proper guidance/management/mentoring.

Advice to Management

I do wish them well but hope for their sake that they really look at who they are putting in management roles. There was no community or working together on anything. A strong respected manager would be able to do this and make it a much better place to work. That person maybe not the coolest or that you are best buddies with but someone who is equipped to do the job and lead/mentor/train people.

It WAS a great place to work and then the wrong people were put into place

I have been working at Fresh Produce Sportswear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is an amazing brand. Basics were easy sell to our old and new customers. When the basics changed direction this hurt business. New lines FP brand was great just never enough in the store to sell. As long as you were the clothes with pride and style, you can sell them. When store staff doesnt display the passion for the brand, there is a problem and numbers will not be met.

Cons

Putting staff and upper management in place that clearly have not knowledge or passion for the brand and staff that have worked many years selling what THEY love. By pressing onward in a direction that is not related to the brand with the wrong people, stores will eventually close and people left will not have a job.

Advice to Management

Note to owners : Get the right people back on board with your brand before its too late. Otherwise, go out and talk to the people that made your money in the first place. Look at numbers since the changeover took place and see where the real issues lie.

The Bra and Panty industry has invaded our Family

I have been working at Fresh Produce Sportswear full-time

Pros

FP offers a great discount for it's employees because they want to make it easy for us to be able to wear the current trends in the stores. Evidently if you are a Manager for our company you don't have to work holidays that is always a plus in retail.

Cons

New Managers all seem to be coming from the same company that sales bras, panties, sleepwear and if you have been in one of their stores you can see that they sell very little clothing if any, so why would a company hire people to manage our stores that are used to playing with boobs and butts all day? Current employees are more than competent, we know the product, we know the history, some of us helped make FP what it is long before stores were available in our state and we can not get promoted. We are the ones that work at FP because we love the Brand, but with all the changes that have gone on in the past year and continue the Brand is declining. This saddens me because I loved working for the company that made my favorite clothes and I looked forward to having a career with them, but since I was not friends with the right people when it came time to hire a new manager for our store I did not even have an opportunity to interview. Well I do know one company that is running short on managers and maybe we should go there to work and then re-apply at FP. I wish there was a why of letting Tom and Maryellen know what is happening to the little people that work for them. They are not only loosing the people who work for them they are loosing us as customers as well. I am sorry to say that as soon as I can find a job I will be leaving the FP Family (haha) and I will not be returning as a customer. They have been collecting money from me as a customer for 18 or so years.

Advice to Management

Promote from within, you actually have some employees that love coming to work and love promoting your Brand, they are the ones that should be running the stores. Stop allowing upper management from hiring their friends who know nothing about the company and have no desire to learn. It takes more to be DM or SM than collecting checks. The new members you have allowed to take over the south have no desire to even embrace the brand and wear it.