FreshBooks Reviews

FreshBooks Co-Founder & CEO Mike McDerment
Mike McDerment

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at FreshBooks full-time

Pros

People who work here are second to none. Great work-life balance and a strong team and corporate culture. The company will often bring in lunch, have company parties, and host various events for its employees.

Cons

There has been some recent changes to the executive team and other growing pains; however, this is not uncommon for a company that is growing at a high pace.

Smart, young team trying to make big things happen.

I have been working at FreshBooks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There was a time when FreshBooks was happy where it was. A profitable, well loved company, it was fine with staying small.

I'm not sure what happened but over the last year there has been a serious culture shift - and I think for the better. The company has gotten back it's ambition, and is really starting to go big or go home.

Sure, this may mean a faster pace and higher pressure, but with an average employee age of 28, I think it's the perfect place for ambitious people looking to work with some of the smartest talent in Canadian tech.

More than ever before, there's a feeling that we're building something big here and tackling a huge problem, together.

Cons

The other reviews don't lie. Senior management has indeed been a bottleneck at times, but when you grow the employee base 5x in 3 years, that is not surprising. The bright side is that gradually, change is happening, I see it everyday as our team of brilliant product managers, engineers, and designers execute autonomously and drive the visions of their products/features.

You've got some really talented people in this company. Let the teams own the product and make mistakes, they have the skills to lead this company to explosive growth.

The smartest developer team I've worked with in my 7 years in the industry.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at FreshBooks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Absolutely the best developers in the city. I've had the opportunity to work with lots of developers before and it doesn't even come close to the caliber of the people at FreshBooks. They're smart, dedicated, and personally invested in the success of both the app and the company. You won't find more talented people anywhere else!

Not limited to just the developers, mostly everyone in the company is kind and embrace the company's values. The atmosphere is definitely positive, and it makes working there a breeze.

Compensation is on par with industry average, so FreshBooks stays competitive. Yearly salary increases are given to employers based on inflation, market competition, and personal performance and growth.

Managers are very accepting and flexible of schedules (stricter for support, because they man the phones at dedicated times). Everyone has a trusting and lax attitude and trust that you'll do your work, even if you stay home that day or need to leave early. They always prefer you to be into the office, but provide a VPN so you can work-from-home on some days.

Nice perks: dental, personal health budget, personal education budget, standing desk on request.

Finally, FreshBooks promotes learning and extending your education. Lots of growth opportunities. They have a yearly education budget that you can spend on conferences, night school, or purchasing books for your industry. They hold internal "Lunch and Learns" by anyone in the company on any topic. They also have book clubs as well.

Cons

Everything has to be approved by the executives, even the smallest of copy in seldom-used parts of the app.

Some people within the company have jaded or bitter attitudes that are somewhat contagious, but maybe they've seen how the sausage is made in previous years. FreshBooks is getting better and delivering value and listening to the feedback within the company.

Some departures within the company happen due to personal dislikes in senior management.

Compensation happens twice a month as opposed to every two weeks. This is just a mild annoyance, but a con to me nonetheless.

Learn to reduce the red-tape surrounding information, product development, and deployment. We're and agile company, there's room for mistakes. Trust the individuals to write good code and don't be a blocker because someone high-up has to approve every, single thing.

Learn from your mistakes trying to keep information temporarily private until an "announcement" is made. It creates the impression of secrecy and rumour. Some people know before others, and that creates an unfair or sometimes awkward environment. Just tell everyone when a decision is made, we can handle it.

Best Place to Work in Toronto

I have been working at FreshBooks

Pros

World class company working with some of the best talent in the country

Cons

Fast growth means lots of change, but with change comes opportunity - not really a con.

Promote from within

Great understanding of what our customer's need but the most difficult workplace I've ever been a part of.

I have been working at FreshBooks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some great people here and the product is excellent. There is a real desire by many of us to do the right thing and do well for our customers. It's rare to see this as consistently and sincerely as is the case here at FreshBooks.

Cons

Senior Management, specifically the CEO, is extremely difficult to work with. Berating and belittling people is standard practice, priorities change by the minute and the CEO seems to be more concerned about his own image and the "story" than anything else. The turnover within the company is significant - in some areas the entire team has quit or been fired in less than a year.

The story of FreshBooks and the reality of FreshBooks are getting more and more out of line. You need to grow up, accept some responsibility and allow the company to become what many of us here would hope it can be. Right now you're mostly in the way of that.

Misleading.

I have been working at FreshBooks

Pros

As a recent hire I have been welcomed in. The staff at my level are wonderful and part of why people thing the company is great.

Cons

Little praise for good work.

Management doesn't know what they want so delivering on it is difficult.

I've witnessed combative motivation and received abusive emails.

In my interview I was explained the core values. I don't see the company standing by them.

Refreshing.

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at FreshBooks

Pros

- work/life balance matters
    - co-workers are always ready to help
    - perks are amazing
    - great benefits
    - respect and trust are given from day one

Cons

- location is downtown Toronto, not a con for a lot of people but for me it is
    - sometimes the coffee machine goes on the fritz
    - every couple of weeks we run out of pop in the fridge for like a hole 2 days

We're in for some interesting times as we grow, please just keep being awesome.

Perks may not compensate for the lacklustre work and management

I have been working at FreshBooks

Pros

PEOPLE

The employees below management are fantastic. They are so, so friendly and caring. I have some incredible friends at the company and this is 90% of the reason I continue to work here. There are numerous empathetic things people do here for each other in and out of the office.

Ultimately you can meet amazing people here who you can start a company with or at the least keep in touch with.

PERKS

Free food and plenty of fun activities and parties are always planned making it a very social place to work. Being associated with the FB brand is pretty cool and people in tech seem to know the name far and wide. Video games and ping pong in the office. Location of the office is great too.

CULTURE

FreshBooks' culture used to be very customer and empathy centric and I hope that management realizes that this focus was what made the company successful and a wonderful place to work.

Cons

Unfortunately the cons highly outweigh the pros of working here. FreshBooks used to be a fantastic place to work 2+ years ago.

LACKLUSTRE MANAGEMENT

The executive team has repeatedly broken their employees trust in big and small ways. The CEO and CMO are known as extremely fickle and very hard to work with because they don't have a clear vision for the company. They will demand something one day and flip the next, denying they claimed the first thing altogether.

This year salaries increases across the company were 1-3% across the board. The reason they gave was the poor "economic conditions." Unfortunately this is deceitful as they've bragged at company-wide meetings about how the recession is good for our business because more people use our product. We also just had our best year EVER.

Our executive team is notorious within the company for "demanding" people trust them, although the two executives repeatedly verbally berates and personally attack people. Nobody can be forced to trust someone, unfortunately that's not how relationships work. There are several notable instances in the company where something serious was flagged with him, the executive team ignored it and then berated everyone for never telling them anything.

LESS THAN OPTIMAL ORGANIZATION

There is no vision or plan for this company so projects are taken on and abandoned often. This leaves employees feeling tired, exhausted and demotivated because they never feel like they're getting anywhere.

Performance reviews are repeatedly poorly done. There numerous people in the company with no clear role and no clear way to measure their performance. When management was asked how their performance was measured, they weren't answered.

Nobody is listening to the employees. In some ways, it seems like the executives are willfully ignoring their employees. There are numerous disgruntled employees who are leaving. It's unfortunately because FreshBooks used to be a truly special place to work. There are fewer and fewer people satisfied with their work and the respect they get from management and will not be recommending their friends work here. Please change the disenfranchisement with the deceitful management practices, we want the old FreshBooks back.

FreshBooks Photos