Freshfields

Freshfields CEO Ted Burke

Ted Burke

Exciting place to be at

Presentation Specialist (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe presentations I did for Freshfields were very well received. The lalwyers I worked with were very professional and nice.

ConsI have none at this time

Clueless business service managers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLawyer's bring in the money, good location. Easy to get to. Company pays a good portion of the benefits, dedicated lawyers,

ConsClueless business service managers,foolishly spends money the lawyers bring in. Secretaries get hired and fired every two weeks, I mean don't they know how to recruit? Idiots!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of all these useless managers, they are all clueless, especially the HR manager. Tech is ancient, get rid of the IT manger since he looks like he's afraid if his own shadow and get into the 21st century already!

Great firm to work for - friendly partners, lawyers, staff and very good training.

Paralegal (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat benefits, excellent training, friendly environment, hands-on work.

ConsHours can sometimes be long, but that is the nature of Big Law.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, not so great management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe attorneys are brilliant and the work is exciting.

ConsManagement has been re-structuring the firm and the results have not been positive.

High quality work and attorneys.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsYou are working with the best and the brightest attorneys on high profile domestic and international cases. The firm supports traveling to other offices and encourages attorneys to work for extended periods abroad in another Freshfields' office.

ConsAs with any other law firm, the hours can be tough and the stress level high.

Great Firm to Work for, not the best opportunity for promotion.

Support Staff (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros20 Vacation days, 2 float days, 6 sick days
    Health Care paid for by the firm
    Great New Offices at 601 Lexington
    Pretty laid back atmosphere at most part
    Firm pays 1/3 of your yearly gym membership (support staff only)

ConsPoor Pay Rises (so negotiate a good rate when you start)
    Poor Bonuses (not paid on performance paid equally across the firm)
    No real annual appraisal process

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide support staff with a good carreer path and more of an opportunity to grow

Great Organization, great people !

Paralegal (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosgreat facilities, great people around, opportunity for good professional projection, the location and the building are perfect. The kind of projects we get involved is always challenging and interesting. The facilities are great there is a gym in the basement free and only for the employees furthermore the restaurant is amazing too; the quality and variety of the food is great.

Conslong hours of work, very competitive and work at weekends

Great place, just not for me.

Trainee Solicitor (Current Employee)

ProsTraining is second to none and offers plenty of opportunity for those people wishing to carve out a career in high-profile top tier corporate and commercial law. Just turns out that I am not one of those people.

ConsThe work/life balance is generally poor and despite efforts to remedy it, the concept of 'face time' is certainly alive and well. Sometimes it feels like quantity rather than quality is what gets the brownie points. Having said that, this is likely to be the case in all serious city firms.

Brilliant training; high standards.

Trainee Solicitor (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsVery hard-working and diligent colleagues at all levels. The firm gets the best work with some interesting clients. Brilliant training, both formal and informal, as a trainee solicitor. Good post-qualification prospects. Training contract is structured along three-month seats which allows one to see more of a variety of different departments than other firms with their six-month seats. Secondments are varied and interesting.

ConsThe hours are not as bad as people assume, but they are unpredictable which is annoying. One can easily slip into a habit of not making mid-week plans on the assumption you won't make them but find you do get out a decent time. When you are beasted, firm is generally appreciative. Pay could be better compared to some competitors but it is by no means poor. Benefits tend to make up shortfall in salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould be good to see more of the "slog" work assigned to trainees (e.g. document review, due diligence) being assigned to paralegals or outsourced. Would also be good to give trainees smaller clients/projects and allow trainees more autonomy to run them.

Fails to deliver on what it promises - and it promises a lot

(Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFriendly people, good pay, collegiate feel, fantastic reputation in the legal sector, the London office has a good central location.

ConsVery hard to get to know people as you are partitioned in small offices of 2 or 3 individuals. Promises challenge and intellectual stimulation, but in my case has failed to deliver this. It's all about who you know, but it's almost impossible to get to know people. The office is very quiet and some days you hardly see anyone at all. I do not feel my skills and abilities are being used fully and as a result I am currently unsatisfied. I also cannot see a route for promotion for me as there is nowhere for me to go. Frustrated.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe firm promises much, but the reality is slow and plodding. Reality needs to step in earlier. IT is awfully outdated and incredibly slow - so much so it hampers your ability to work. Be honest with people. Share work. Don't keep contacts and relationships to yourselves, be generous with others so we can all work together. At the moment it's very "that's MY person, I work with them, so you can't".

Worked for Freshfields? Contribute to the Community!