Friendly's Ice Cream

Updated October 28, 2014
Updated October 28, 2014

Friendly's Ice Cream CEO John M. Maguire
John M. Maguire

Pros
  • Regular customers, flexible schedule, clean (in 9 reviews)

• If you enjoy a fast paced environment then this is the place for you (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, little promotion potential, micro managing down to the store level (in 6 reviews)

• To Expensive for the amount of food given, Low pay with to many responsibilities (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good for a high school or college student

Former Employee - Waitress in East Greenbush, NY
    Former Employee - Waitress in East Greenbush, NY

I worked at Friendly's Ice Cream part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They were very flexible with my school schedule and after working there for a year I was able to count on having the better serving shifts. I made great money on weekends but week days were slow. Some of the managers were amazing and many of my coworkers became good friends.

Cons

Some managers were awesome and some were terrible. Upper management treats you like children with their work training videos and you are always replaceable. The customers who come into Friendlys tend to be poor and rude. You just have to learn how to deal with it graciously if your going to work there. You could always count on having a few coworkers who drank on the job, dealt drugs out the back door, cussed up a storm and generally made you feel like you worked at the shadiest establishment ever.

A great starting job for waitresses

Former Employee - Waitress in Webster, NY
    Former Employee - Waitress in Webster, NY

I worked at Friendly's Ice Cream part-time (less than an year)

Pros

employee discount, quick and easy on-the-job training

Cons

You constantly have to stay 1-3 hours longer than your shift indicates

N/A

Great place to work

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Friendly's Ice Cream part-time

Pros

Had valuable experience in most areas with the restaurant from dish-washing to managing. Opportunities are available with hard work.

Cons

Hard environment to work in, when the restaurant is busy things are hectic and fast. You need to be able to act on your feet.

I would only suggest better training to new employees. My advice would be to require 3-4 months of training as a fountain ice cream worker before allowing employees to serve. People with experience being in the company before serving are much better equipped to deal with customers than someone brand new. This better represents the restaurant and is more likely to lead to repeat customers.

Good, fast-paced food service job.

I worked at Friendly's Ice Cream part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The job was fun, fast-paced, and it was really nice to be able to interact daily with the families. There were lots of regulars who came in every week, or several times a week.

Cons

Usually employs a bunch of teenagers who have interest in nothing more than causing drama both between coworkers and customers. Very low cooperation between all the different employees; high tension.

Love it

I worked at Friendly's Ice Cream

Pros

Fun environment to work in

Cons

The pay is not great

A very long four months

Former Employee - Sever in Camp Hill, PA
    Former Employee - Sever in Camp Hill, PA

I worked at Friendly's Ice Cream part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get to wear a colorful uniform that is flattering. Not much else I can say good about working there.

Cons

Friendlys was so unorganized in buisness. During day shift servers were very over worked they had to make thier own ice cream do thier own dishes seat thier selve. Also they had a rule who ever got to the person waiting to be seated first got them in thier section so it was very hard to get tables if your not just waiting by the door. And in the evening everyone stood around doing nothing. You also had to run your own drawer out of your own pocket. So if you drop money or someone doesn't pay thier bill it's on you! And you have to bring your own change everyday.

Get organized.

Very Meh

Former Employee - Fountain Worker
    Former Employee - Fountain Worker

I worked at Friendly's Ice Cream part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The hours and pacewere the only pro. And sometimes requesting for time off, but it would depend.

Cons

And even then, the amount of hours would depend on if you were a favorite to the managers or not. The pay was not worth the amount of stress each employee went through daily. There were never enough employees on shift. The coworkers I had were catty, immature high school girls who thrived off each other's dramatic tendencies. I have been mentally and emotionally scared from this company and I often suffer from a form of PTSD from the amount of drama and mistreatment I personally went through. The company did not listen to the hours I could work, scheduling me during my classes and refusing to fix the hours for me.

Listen to your employees. If this many people are complaining, something is very very wrong with how the company is being run. Stop playing favorites and belittling your employees to the point they develop depression.

Learning

Former Employee - Purchasing Director in Wilbraham, MA
    Former Employee - Purchasing Director in Wilbraham, MA

I worked at Friendly's Ice Cream full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fairly large company with limited resources
    Male dominated senior management
    Free 56 oz ice cream weekly

Cons

Owned by a Private Equity firm, ruining the company

Sell to a entity that cares about the brand.

Would not be a good first job.

Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Friendly's Ice Cream part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Server experience
    -Love the people i work with.
    -can always pick up a shift if you need to or give one away.

Cons

-no accountability (anyone can get away with anything like just not showing up to work.)
    -disorganized management
    -constantly changing staff
    -poor training
    -no hostess at all
    -no busboys at all

There needs to be a higher focus on training in order to set up servers to succeed.

Unprofessional corporate leadership

Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Friendly's Ice Cream part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My co-workers and most of my store management

Cons

Company is managed by people that have never worked in a restaurant. Labor cost model is nonsensical. Corporate management continues to recycle the same horrible ideas year after year. They are never good ideas and anyone who ever waited on a table could tell you this. Our restaurant is yet to have a district manager that is not completely detrimental to the operations of the restaurant. District management constantly calling during busy meal periods demanding that labor is cut without understanding or caring about the consequences. Building inside and out is in poor shape. Horrible employees can no longer be fired even by the GM. Management staff treated like children.

Fire everyone in Wilbraham and start over....Yes EVERY Person that works in the building.

Friendly's Ice Cream Photos