Friendly's Ice Cream Reviews

Reset
2.7
Friendly's Ice Cream CEO John M. Maguire
John M. Maguire

Pros
  • Regular customers, flexible schedule, clean (in 9 reviews)

• Good People, great work environment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours and shifts not every manager is responsible (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay, treated like dirt, no room for growth and saw cooks soiling food (in 5 reviews)

1. Good Management Team

I have been working at Friendly's Ice Cream full-time

Pros

Management genuinely cares about what they do. They are committed to their work, and passionate.

Cons

corporate doesn't focus on taking care of the "backbone" of the store. They see all employees the same in the sense of work ethic, despite how much you do.

Advice to Management

If you want a business to succeed, especially in an industry this competitive, start looking out for the people who care about what they do. Invest in more into your core team.

2. Would only work here as a pit stop

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Friendly's Ice Cream

Pros

hours, regular customers, no alcohol, scheduling

Cons

pay, revolving door of management, repuatation, poor benefits

3. Server

I worked at Friendly's Ice Cream

Pros

Ice cream and chicken strips

Cons

Franchise owners staffed less cooks and more servers so when restaurant was busy, managers jumped on grill and servers all stood around doing nothing since sections were so small.

Advice to Management

Pay servers more

5. waiter

I worked at Friendly's Ice Cream

Pros

I liked my waitstaff job

Cons

didnt make great tips at night

6. Lots of hours and always hiring

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in East Norriton, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in East Norriton, PA

I have been working at Friendly's Ice Cream full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of hours and decent pay

Cons

Not a lot of room to advance

7. server

I worked at Friendly's Ice Cream

Pros

Great job if you never served before.

Cons

Very slow at times
    Poor management
    Not a team atmosphere

8. Nice place to work

I have been working at Friendly's Ice Cream part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with friendlys for about a year now as a cook. The job is very face paced and at sometimes stressful, but depending on where you work, it's worth it. But it's different from location to location. At my main store, the management was great, they encouraged growth, really personable people. It felt like I was apart of a big family. But at the other location, management didn't care, the employees had No motivation. I was taught 15 Minute check times were borderline unacceptable, but at the other store, I was blatantly told 30 minute check times were ok. It was dirty, nobody kept up with fryers or regular cleaning procedures on many of the pieces of equipment, some things were almost borderline un-useable, but was still made to use them, and when I pointed out things to the management, they sounded caring, but ended up trying to get back at me by placing vinegar soaked rags into microwaves and turning them on before mid shift management left. I was almost being treated like I was a terrible person who was making them get off their lazy butts and work to get a store in order, than a concerned employee who genuinely cared. Even the general manager of that store let me and one other employee struggle through a service, when the other employee hadn't been in the kitchen in months because seemingly of previous issues, and when asked for help, was either outside having a smoke break, or walked into the kitchen for a second, then walked right back out saying he had more important things to do whIle i was trYing to keep my main stores Mentlaity and ideal on the line. but at my store which was a high volume training store, everything was kept up on, if something needed to he cleaned, you would be heard, and if you had time Durring your busy day, were encouraged to go ahead and clean whatever it was that needed it, management was always there to help and isn't afraid to jump on the line to get things done, always helpful and always instilling motivation in me to keep working, and better myself as long as I showed drive myself. The group I work with is also very helpful. If more experienced people are working there, they help you with any questions you have, with any troubles you have, and will push you to work harder. If a service was terrible, they will reassure you and let you know how you can get better. I myself have found myself trying to cool down after very very harsh, almost never ending services where I was struggling to keep afloat, and the crew I was with was always there to help kick me back up and keep on moving.

Cons

I tried for 4 months to get a head cook position just to be told it wasn't offered by the company anymore
    Employee drive is completey dependent on managers willingnes to work. If your managers care, the employees care, and because of that, a big trust circle is formed. If you're terrible at your job, or don't care, with a good GM and a good team, The weak will be weeded Out very very fast (not to say if you're bad at the job, but really show drive to improve, you will be kicked out. They will help you until they can help no more), while the strong are left. But on the same token, if the management doesn't care, a circle of terrible employees will push out the people willing to work, or will let them work, but you will end up doing pretty much everything with no sense of accomplishment.
    EVERYONE tries to get morning hours, so changing schedules is hard, but again, it depends on your Managers and how hard you work.
    Room for improvement seems alright. I was made a cook after 5 months of being a dishwasher and was recognized to be the head of kitchen as i kept working harder and harder. Was supposed to be promoted to a trainer after my old GM left for better opertunities, but the new GM has made no headway on getting me that position.
    Leaves you with almost no social life if you're on closing shift

Advice to Management

You need to fix your manager mentality. Some stores, it's great, but others is just terrible. Even DMS say they care, but aren't above talking down to employees when they have a view point that isn't theirs or isn't in line with the company. Look at your stores that actually DO care, and DO keep things organizes, clean, and with staff who actually DO their jobs, and try to help other stores get in line with that Mentality. I understand it's a buisness, and you want to put customers first, but realize your employees are just as important as your customers, and some people love the people they work with, and intern, love their job.

manager

I have been working at Friendly's Ice Cream

Pros

everything was good great place

Cons

none to report love working here

10. Poor experience.

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Friendly's Ice Cream

Pros

Tips were very good.
    Nice Customers.

Cons

Most management is related, and people that have been working for longer and heavily favored.

Advice to Management

Stop the favoritism and all of the gossip.

11. GREAT PLACE

Former Employee - I Was Dishwasher, Server, and Sometime Line Cook in Springfield, MA

I worked at Friendly's Ice Cream part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Schedule would be adjusted to meet employees needs. Not only would store management listen to your ideas but the Blakes, owners at the time ( I worked there in 1958 to 1959 while I was in high school) Sorry the last year with employer would not go back that far. Curt and Pres were always coming by, I worked at Townhouse #1 in Springfield. They listened and would actually get back to you. They gave summer barbeques at their house for all employees over 2 days.

Cons

No downside to working there for 2 years. I actually gave serious thoughts to applying for their Management Training Program.

Advice to Management

I just think that the old days when we were always busy and we knew most of the regular customers was what built the old Friendy Ice Cream Shops into a successful business.

RSS Feed </> Embed